Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
17,588 Posts
Hahahaha, you guys are lumped together with Geo Prism, Cutlass Ciers's, Volvo station wagons, and Jeep Cherokee's. You all must be proud *snicker*

·
Registered
680 Posts
It's not our fault the others shouldn't be on the list.

That said, I have seen an '84 Cierra Wagon at church for the last dozen years.
And those year Volvo's are all over the place - course it helps to not have a rust problem here in Georgia.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol !!! The cars on the list have nothing in common other than they are super reliable.

I have owned my diesel (1980 300D) for almost 5 years. I see lots of W123's around Orlando but all I have encountered were diesels, never seen a gasser !

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I really am surprised the Chevy Caprice did not make it onto that list.

·
Registered
86 Posts
the caprice did get a mention in the crown victoria page. The GM A-Bodies are deff easy to work on cars that dont seem to ever rust. GM made sure to use good steel on the a-bodies because of the ridicule they received on the former x-body cars. I had several friends in high school rockin hand-me-down cierras and centuries who still have them today. My highschool friend's cierra got her 33 mpg. not bad at all, and parts were dirty cheap and plentiful. that said, you would never see me driving an A-body, EVER! i only hitched rides in them. lol i hated how they looked.:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think that had they used miles on the odometer as the benchmark, a lot of those cars would not have made it. The fact that a certain car is predominately owned by old people who hardly ever take them out of the garage, is not a testament to the reliability of a car. Show me 10 of those Cierras with 300K plus miles and then I'll let them on my list. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Employer: do you have reliable transportation to work?

91 Cierra owner thinks to himself: ( well I have a hand me down rust free, somewhat decently put together car (for being an 80's GM product anyway) that is dirt cheap and easy to maintain, it gets good gas mileage For being a v6 with the solid 3300series v6 (a variation of the famous 3800) that is mostly trouble free even though I dogged the crap out of it in high school. It's ugly as sin and the the power seat is busted, the interior is rubbish and saggy velvet mouse fur seats are cringe-inducing but it hasn't really let me down except when the alternator went bad. No biggy, after picking up a new one at autozpne for a whopping $80 I was back in business.

Cierra owner: sure. I have reliable transportation to work.

The definition of reliable greatly varies from person to person, but I would say it doesn't necessarily have to be an over-engineered , over-built mini diesel panzer tank or Swedish lead brick to be considered reliable. The gm A-body cars, as nasty as they may seem to most, including myself, occupy a unique paradigm of reliability that is more readily attainable by the masses of broke burger-flipping college kids. And that is why I believe that the writer was correct in including the A body car, and that is why I reserve a certain admiration for cars of this nature. Even though I would never drive one. Lol

I deff do my fair share of American econo-box bashing, but there have been plenty of 3800,3300,2200 series gm engines that have made it past 300k with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
My '78 300 CD "dropped dead" at 270,000 kms, but my 200T is still "alive" at 365,000 kms. :1poke:....;):)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
This one is in that category...but not for long.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
True mileage on my 240 is unknown but the clock reads 178,424km at the moment. For a former WVO car it's running well. The engine burns a bit of oil as a result of the WVO but otherwise runs just fine. If I had to guess the true mileage considering all the mechanical work it took to get it back up to speed I would put a ballpark estimate at around 400,000-500,000km. I'll never have a way of knowing for sure.

On the other hand, my 380SE has just about 481,000km on it on the original engine. It's bone stock with all the records in hand and I plan to keep it in the family.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm surprised the VW Beetle didn't make the list.

If they ever create the Cars that Refused to Live list, Corvair step up and take the honor!
How about the car that rusted in the showroom, the Chevy Vega. Also here in NE Ohio, I remember Ford LTD's that were 2 yrs old, 73-74, that have to have their bumbers tied on because they all rusted off! One of Ford's better ideas so save weight! My Grammas 68 Ford Falcon had fenders that had holes rusted in them after 2 winters.:surrender:

Dave

·
Registered
470 Posts
Don't be too ready to discredit the other cars! I've worked on a gazillion cars over the past few years, and I can say that just about every car on that list really is tough! I've seen just about all of them with over 250,000 miles, still running strong. Of course, the diesel Mercedes will make the dash to 500,000...I have no doubt!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just tipped 261,000 miles the other day in the diesel.
I went to the local LKQ to see if I could find some odds and ends. The only 123's were all gassers.

Jussayin'. ;)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Don't be too ready to discredit the other cars! I've worked on a gazillion cars over the past few years, and I can say that just about every car on that list really is tough! I've seen just about all of them with over 250,000 miles, still running strong. Of course, the diesel Mercedes will make the dash to 500,000...I have no doubt!!
I believe all the cars now are better then what was built 40-50 yrs ago. I remember my Uncle telling my Dad during that time period, that if you got 70-80K on a car you could take it to the junk yard & say you've got your monies worth!

Dave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts