Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my A/C charged and a power steering leak fixed yesterday and was going over the cost of maintaining my 420 SEL for the past sixteen months:

November 7, 2003 119,165 miles $112.95

Service Performed By: Star Cars Unlimited

Repair Order Number: 4539

Service Description: Customer #1060

Service(s) Performed: ·Oil and Filter - Change and Lube
·Check and Correct All Fuild Levels

Service Comments: Performed 19-point inspection, installed new antenna grommet, and repaired fallen power window switches in console.

November 19, 2003 119,505 miles $36.00

Service Performed By: Big O Tires

Repair Order Number: 22613

Service Description: Customer #1950

Service(s) Performed: ·Tires - Rotate
·Wheel - Balance

Service Comments: Was receiving road vibration.

December 8, 2003 120,063 miles $238.66

Repair Order Number: 4683

Service(s) Performed: ·Cooling System - Flush
·Valve Cover Gasket(s) - Replace

Service Comments: Monovalve element also replaced due to lack of heat.

December 18, 2003 120,300 miles $180.20

Repair Order Number: 4760

Service(s) Performed: ·Gasket & Filter
·Transmission Service (Automatic) - Replace

Service Comments: Fuel leak repaired in fuel pump area.

January 6, 2004 120,573 miles $842.60

Repair Order Number: 4819

Service(s) Performed: ·Brake Pads, Front - Replace
·Timing Belt or Chain - Replace

Service Comments: Timing chains replaced as preventative maintenance, along with tensioner and rails.

February 23, 2004 121,740 miles $236.45

Repair Order Number: 5076

Service Description: Reapir Transmission Leak(s) & Oil Service

·Other

Service Comments: Repaired transmission leaks on secondary oil pump.

May 25, 2004 124,539 miles $134.19

Repair Order Number: 5586

Service Description: Oil Change & Passenger Headrest Repair

·Other
·Check and Correct All Fuild Levels

Service Comments: Passenger seat headrest was repaired due to malfunction (ribbon replaced).

September 3, 2004 125,531 miles $30.00

Service Performed By: Me

Repair Order Number: 0

Service Description: Oil Change

Service Comments: N/A

September 4, 2004 125,532 miles $391.65

Service Performed By: Big O Tires

Repair Order Number: 30694

Service Description: New Tires

Service(s) Performed: ·Tires - Replace

September 12, 2004 125,740 miles $300.00

Service Description: Shock Absorber Replacement

Service(s) Performed: ·Shocks/Struts, Front - Replace
·Shocks/Struts, Rear - Replace

September 16, 2004 125,749 miles $99.00

Service Performed By: M-B Okc

Repair Order Number: 475788

Service Description: Four Wheel Thrust Angle Alignment

Service(s) Performed: ·Alignment - Four Wheels

December 7, 2004 127,756 miles $30.00

Service Description: Oil Change

Service(s) Performed: ·Oil and Filter - Change

March 2, 2005 129,362 miles $289.40

Repair Order Number: 7108

Service Description: A/C Service -- Repair P/S Leak

Service(s) Performed: ·A/C - Evacuation and Recharge - Complete

Service Comments: A/C system converted to R134a and power steering return line replaced due to leak.

Total cost, minus fuel and insurance: $2921.10 US.

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
It looks like you are taking care of your car very well.
So, what is your opinion and verdict overall?

The way I see the service interval gets longer. More specifically, first couple of months the car had been in and out services frequently (I think it is usual for any other used vehicle with high mileage and age). Then, the car has the been shop approximately every three month, which is very normal maintenance term for regular vehicles.

Just I am very interested since I got a same car (1988 420 SEL) about two month ago. Thus, I need to set up my plans and budget schedule accordingly. And this thread is a really good reference. Thank you![:)]

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benz Devil - 3/3/2005 2:27 PM

It looks like you are taking care of your car very well.
So, what is your opinion and verdict overall?

The way I see the service interval gets longer. More specifically, first couple of months the car had been in and out services frequently (I think it is usual for any other used vehicle with high mileage and age). Then, the car has the been shop approximately every three month, which is very normal maintenance term for regular vehicles.

Just I am very interested since I got a same car (1988 420 SEL) about two month ago. Thus, I need to set up my plans and budget schedule accordingly. And this thread is a really good reference. Thank you![:)]
My verdict is I'm very happy with my car. Though it has fairly low miles (just under 130K), it's nearly twenty years old and is a very safe and practical daily driver (I drive about fifty miles round trip each day).

A number of the repairs were age-related and economically didn't amount to much to repair and correct (transmission leak, monovalve replacement, A/C recharge, shock absorber replacement, etc.). And a number of the repairs were strictly elective and preventative in nature (the initial inspection, timing chains and guides, cooling system flush and fill, transmission fluid and filter replacement, etc.).

I was fortunate enough to get a 420 that'd been maintained fairly well from the start.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL
19 Posts
Good entry and helpful

I have had my 89 420 SEL for close to a month. There are a few problems dur to neglect or laziness of previous owners so I imagine it will be a 2500 dollar first year--maybe. 189 dollars so far.

Took it on a 900 miles weekend trip Memorial day weekend and got 20 MPG.

·
Registered
2016 E400 4Matic Sedan
610 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing. Looks like you are lucky per having found some good shops in your area to work on your MB at an acceptable rate.

Having done some major work already, what is you plan for next year? Do you think you can keep the cost down to about $500 a year from here on? Fromm your list, I could see possibly some work on brake and rear differential?

BTW, what kind of motor oil are you using for your 420? You only quote $30 per DIY oil change. My 560 takes about 8 Q and that is about $35 of mobil 1 already.

·
Registered
1990 300SE, 1983 300D
1,201 Posts
Cost me $300 so far. New plugs, cap, wires, rotor. Add an other $200 for the headlight doors. I was getting Chinese food and somebody backed into me cracking one, so I had to buy two new ones. All these parts are from Mercedes, BTW.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've had my car since Christmas since my dad bought it for me. (86 420 SEL) My dad pays for everything including gas. Here's THE LIST of things done to the car.

General Mercedes Benz physical check-up. 120 bucks.

Around 450-500 bucks for new good year tires.

750 bucks to stop annoying drops of oil (about one drop per night, problem fixed)

around 1000 bucks for new shocks

200 bucks for new foglights.

And of course some octane boosters and engine treatment at every oil change.

Overall, this car is in very good condition. I'm still surprised by how much power this engine has!

Attachments

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE

NewMBie - 6/4/2005 8:10 AM

Having done some major work already, what is you plan for next year? Do you think you can keep the cost down to about $500 a year from here on? Fromm your list, I could see possibly some work on brake and rear differential?
Since I posted last, I've had some A/C work which was something of a headache (I'll post the details this week), but I haven't had any problems that compromised the safety or reliability of the car. Yes, I'm hoping at this point to keep the yearly maintenance around $500 a year.

NewMBie - 6/4/2005 8:10 AM

BTW, what kind of motor oil are you using for your 420? You only quote $30 per DIY oil change. My 560 takes about 8 Q and that is about $35 of mobil 1 already.
I'm using Castrol High Mileage 10W-40 at about $2 a quart (crankcase capacity is 8.5, so I'm buying 9 quarts per purchase) and a Knecht or Mann filter (the place where I buy them vary their inventory) at about $9 apiece.

·
Registered
'91 420SEL '80 300TD
232 Posts
AC repair has been one of the highest cost items for my '91 420 SEL, especially the evaporator under the dash. Recently replaced the tming chain and had several other minor fixes ($600 for timing chain). My guestimate is that I spend $1200 a year on maintainanace and repairs. Full tune up once a year, oil change and scheduled maintainance every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2007 E350 Black/Tan
136 Posts
Hey Jim....

Thanks for the info! I have not had my girl for that long just yet. July will make it a year for us! I have spent a little over $1,600.00 (USD) as of today. I plan to do other things in the next 6 months, probably will exceed your amount due to elective things as well as age related needs that she has. Tune up is the next thing coming up, along with valve covers and gaskets. (Got a small oil leak on right side of her engine.) Do need new gaskets on that side, but would rather do both sides and replace valve covers.

I work with a guy who owns an SEC w126. He has given me a list of particular things that he suggests that I take care of as soon as possible, just to ensure her performance and quality of ride etc.

He did most of his own work, if not all. From timing chain to exhaust system. He is retired military having worked on tanks and planes over his career. He is a total do it yourself kind of person.

I have plans of putting a total of about $10K in her all together through numerous replacement and repair projects from paint work to replacement of interior wood. Even after all of the projects, she will still represent her pedigree well!

I think that I have fallen for her! She's worth it! Even the compliments now are rewarding and encouraging!

By the way, your avatar is???? Well, deffinitely different!

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
That's terrible. I have owned my 1985 500 SEL for 6 years now and have driven it over 120,000 miles in that time. Current milage 280,000 miles. The only things that I have had to do to my car is.
#1 new water pump $250.00
#2 new fuel pump $300.00
#3 tune up $500.00 first time $100.00 second time
#4 new radiator $200.00
#5 regular oil changes $20.00 each

·
Registered
2007 E350 Black/Tan
136 Posts
rudedude - 2/8/2006 10:23 PM

That's terrible. I have owned my 1985 500 SEL for 6 years now and have driven it over 120,000 miles in that time. Current milage 280,000 miles. The only things that I have had to do to my car is.
#1 new water pump $250.00
#2 new fuel pump $300.00
#3 tune up $500.00 first time $100.00 second time
#4 new radiator $200.00
#5 regular oil changes $20.00 each
[:0]

I am not sure that I understand what is so terrible????

For me the things that I have done either were because I wanted to do them or they needed to be done. What I plan to do is because I want to do them more than because I have to!

If I want to spend money on my 420sel, that's my choice....after all it is my money and I have earned it!

Because I bought her preowned, I want to know her real well and personalize her....replace and repair as I desire and as she needs!

I know of Benz owners who have high miles and have spent much less and some who have spent more...

It depends on the person/car...to each his/her own!

Spend what you want and what your car needs!

·
Registered
89 420SEL Stock
285 Posts
I inherited my 89 420SEL in 2001, it had 42,000 miles on it. I checked the brakes and they were shot. Looked at the work orders and supposedly they were changed 1,500 miles earlier! The roters were shot and there was no pad at all on one of the front disks. Took it into the stealer and he said they were heavy cars. Went to Kragen and for about $200 I changed all the roters and the brakes. The rear window on the drivers side fell into the door. Went to the stealer, and he said I would have to buy the entire assembly $200 because the slider had to be ball peened into shape and they didn't do that. ....I bought one slider, $7 and drilled and tapped it myself. Has been working great for years. Changed the wires, cap and rotor recently just because I have almost 80,000 miles on it now. I also changed the mono valve...about $40...that is it since 2001.. Great car... [:)]

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
WOW, you guys are pumping a lot of money in a car that is virtually worth nothing on the open market. I respect this because it reflects your love for the W126. I had a 560 SE from new and loved it to death. Sold it 2 years ago and only got 3.000 $ for it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts