Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just bought a 2004 E55, a car that I settled upon after doing a lot of research, comparison and viewing numerous videos and seller photos of various high power 4 door sedans.

I don't even have the car yet and have actually never driven any Mercedes car, let alone the one I just bought. I expect to receive it on a truck from the mid-west sometime toward the end of next week. So that should be a fun day.

I live in North Carolina, I moved to the US from Birmingham, UK via Miami about 13 years ago.
I work as a Network Security Consultant, I basically get contracted to break into companies and local government from the outside of their networks (more often than not via wireless networking in their parking lot).

I currently work for a large, bureaucratic, soulless vogon-esque telco that contains hordes of slack-jawed, gravy train riding, paunch having, H.A.T. programme colluding sycophants in middle management.

I have eight different bosses, bob, eight.

I currently own a 2001 Mustang "steeda" GT convertible which I added a few minor upgrades to, so this should be a nice step up out of "honorary redneck" status.

Anyway, that's enough paragraphs that start with "I" for now...

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Hey, Shanghai, I almost got to go there last month, I was really looking forward to having a ride on the super-fast Maglev train and staying in the cool Hyatt (the Jin Mao?) I'm a keen photographer and I even had locations scouted by looking at tagged and GPS plotted flickr images and had planned to see the world fair, but alas, the customer out there (US based) is flaky and delayed indefinitely. A shame, I still want to go to China.

·
52,804 Posts
Don't risk it mate, I came here 16 years ago for a 1 year contract and never escaped:eek:

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, that's what the wife and me say to people that we don't want to come and potentially spoil it for us here in NC, like the hordes from the northeast that come down to complain about the local pizza and summer humidity.
Sub-tropical climate can't be too shabby. Every time I'm back in the UK these days, I usually go home thinking "well that's enough of that", but only going there in winter (and the onset of chav/hoodie culture) hasn't helped that impression.

·
52,804 Posts
My wife divorced me shortly after I came here from the UK, if only she knew that she was doing me a favor lol. Been with the same Chinese girl since day one and worked all over China. It is the experience of a lifetime. Only been in Shanghai for two months but love it, many people speak english so it is much easier for me.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if I can link an image yet, but here is the car I've bought, it's an E55 with an E63 front bumper, which, if it didn't already have, I would have done. I really like the "gills" on there as a sporty styling cue.

·
52,804 Posts
Very nice car:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
The car arrived today and it's been a mixed bag. The Check engine light came on shortly after I drove to put gas in it (came on reserve - kinda cheesy for a dealer to do IMHO).
While I'm quite certain that I screwed the fuel cap back on tightly, I got all kinds of haywire flashing and red lights malarkey, so as I read here, I turned off, removed cap, reinstalled cap (extra tight into the "pop") and turned back on, ok, no more flashing pump and no red warnings, though I was very concerned that the car acted like it was firing on seven cylinders and having trouble breathing while the cap was apparently not on right, I guess the fuel pump/s has trouble with a lack of compression (?).

Check Engine light remains on, as it was before the pump light started flashing.
The car had head gaskets on both sides installed as the inspection that I had advised.
Is there some sort of "reset" required? - remove the battery for a while maybe? - to clear the check engine light.

I have no other diagnostic errors/codes other than the check engine light illuminated - all clear from the console.

Anyway, other than that, it looks amazing, I never realized how much I liked the W201 E55 and E63 - especially those E63 front bumper "gills".

I'm an avid photohrapher, so one of the first things I wanted was a clean car to take an HDR and lightly post processed pic:

What a throughly enjoyable car, compared to my Mustang with its coarse "racing" suspension it's clearly a superior car. I had traction issues on the Mustang with way less horsepower and 275 wide rubber.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update (dear E55 logbook):
I took it to Autohaus, whom I read on an MB forum were a good shop for the Triangle/NC area.
They said it was in good mechanical condition, which was a bit like being in the waiting room as a new parent and having the doctors tell you that the baby is healthy.
They cleared three pages of error codes, because it looked like they had probably been there a long time.
They changed my gas cap (though the problem of the "check gas cap" and check engine light remains) and told me that I need a new venting hose in the fuel system. I'll just be happy if it doesn't need the dual fuel senders that I've read about being expensive. I asked if I still have the error code, then did I definitely need the new gas cap, the answer was affirmative.

They also said that the pulley belt was incorrectly installed and was rubbing on part of the engine and wearing quicker. On the way home I kicked it down on the highway (like you do) and something went clunk - the car was obviously running NA, so I got off to head back, but during my attempts at turning back, the car seemed to re-engage the supercharger (or missing power). Since then, the car does seem on again/off again temperamental in whether it actually wants to go fast and the fuel cap warning was today accompanied by rough idling (I was hugely relived when it didn't stall in front of a BMW at the light).

In other news, I was disappointed that my local car audio shop couldn't facilitate me, stating that the COMAND system is all fibre optic. Looks like my only upgrade may be to add an ipod cable and to look into replacing the center console speaker which crackles at high volume.

I'm looking forward to warmer weather and less seasonal shoppers on the roads.

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update2

I found an update disc for the COMAND system online today (a torrent).
This worked out amazing. The previous owners had never flashed the head unit, so my NAV gave no ETA and it didn't play MP3 discs.

Now, it seems to be a way fresher/less beta/1999 feeling device.

While I was looking through the manual, I also found a 2006.1 original Nav disc (it had the original 2004 disc running), so double bonus.

Now I just need that fuel system vapor hose (hopefully that's all that's wrong).

·
Registered
2004 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been trying to fix the P0455 (I think) code for vapor loss in the fuel system.
So far the gas cap, a vent hose and the canister purge valve have all been swapped but the light keeps returning.

My in-car DVR (they assumed it was a second radar detector and left it plugged in for the test drives) picked up some mistreatment of the car by maintenance personnel (trying to "boil the tires off") and about a thousand dollars later, I still have the original problem, with the inspection due date being just around the corner.

I would probably consider just using the dealerships in the Raleigh, NC area.

Also - my wife ordered a front plate to hide the ugly (6) screwholes left by previous owners in northern states. Let me know if it's gaudy/classy - it was either this or a transformers decepticon (which I might still buy instead)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts