Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320 4DR Sedan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the proper +1 / +2 size for tires on this car. Stock 215/55 - 16. My wife is heck on curbs. I could use some more rubber - height and width. TIA as always and have a great day.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,584 Posts
what is the proper +1 / +2 size for tires on this car. Stock 215/55 - 16. My wife is heck on curbs. I could use some more rubber - height and width. TIA as always and have a great day.
More height will change the gearing of the car...tell your wife to be careful. 235/50 16 would be wider...but the same height.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4DR Sedan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More height will change the gearing of the car...tell your wife to be careful. 235/50 16 would be wider...but the same height.
That's funny - tell her to be careful. Like telling my kids to eat your brussel sprouts.

She's hard on 285-15-16 Landcruiser tires. I really need something taller with strong sidewalls please. The width isn't so important.

I'm open to any ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,584 Posts
That's funny - tell her to be careful. Like telling my kids to eat your brussel sprouts.

She's hard on 285-15-16 Landcruiser tires. I really need something taller with strong sidewalls please. The width isn't so important.

I'm open to any ideas. Thanks.
If you want taller, then get 15 inch wheels. But make sure the brake calipers will fit.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
The same NOMINAL height ratio, but not the same height.
It is like describing the speed as "freeway speed" >>> for some it will be 200kph, for some 50 mph.
Go to tire manufacturer site to read actual rpm for precise comparison
Putting bigger tires is having less effect on speedo than popular believe. One of the members put way bigger tires on his ML320 and says the speedo is about 15% off, what he doesn't care about resetting.
Our new purchase come with single 225 tire and it is not affecting the drive.
Than I don't think just going bigger will be the solution for curbs scrubbing. Take a look on different brand tires. Even in the same nominal size they can have different thread width and different sidewalls. Some tires have sidewalls sticking out on the side of the rim, some not.

·
Registered
2005 W215 CL500
3,584 Posts
The same NOMINAL height ratio, but not the same height.
It is like describing the speed as "freeway speed" >>> for some it will be 200kph, for some 50 mph.
Go to tire manufacturer site to read actual rpm for precise comparison
Putting bigger tires is having less effect on speedo than popular believe. One of the members put way bigger tires on his ML320 and says the speedo is about 15% off, what he doesn't care about resetting.
Our new purchase come with single 225 tire and it is not affecting the drive.
Than I don't think just going bigger will be the solution for curbs scrubbing. Take a look on different brand tires. Even in the same nominal size they can have different thread width and different sidewalls. Some tires have sidewalls sticking out on the side of the rim, some not.
Sometime, not always, but sometimes you talk carp.

·
Registered
2001 E320 4DR Sedan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've run Continentals, Michelins, Mickey Thompsons, BFG's, Dick Cepeks, Toyo's, Nittos. ProComps, Goodyear, Bridgestones, Yokohamas.

Obviously I own some trucks, but cars too. I could give an hour lecture on the ins' and out of tires. 42 years of buying and trying.

Carp?

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
OEM 15 inch wheels will not fit on your 320.
The 15inch wheels went on the E240's and E230's which were supplied with smaller rotors and calipers than the larger engine models.
I will be fitting some 215 x 60 x 16 continentals CC5's on my car this week. The 215' x 55 x 16's are now an "odd size" for Australia and hence come much more expensive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts