Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 s550
Went to get my tires rotated and they recommended changing out my lug bolts to 1 piece instead of the 2 piece.
They didn't have the correct length bolt at the store

Any idea or maybe a link to the correct 1 piece bolt would be much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Were "they" an authorized Mercedes dealership, or a tire store? Were your wheels OE?

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts
Mercedes OE wheels use a ball-shaped lug bolt, similar to the photo (though the photo is of a bolt with a length different from the OE bolts for your car.) Note the rounded shoulder on the bolt.

Unfortunately, not knowing what your wheels are makes it very difficult for anyone, including our experts on wheels and lug bolts, to answer your question accurately.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think he has the bolts with the stainless steel cap on it(two pieces). You need a special socket for those lugs, everything else deforms the stainless steel cap on them. With the cap off these lugs are standard 17mm.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he has the bolts with the stainless steel cap on it(two pieces). You need a special socket for those lugs, everything else deforms the stainless steel cap on them. With the cap off these lugs are standard 17mm.
Yes. I have the 2 piece lugs. With the stainless steel cap

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Mercedes OE wheels use a cone-shaped lug bolt, similar to the photo (though the photo is of a bolt with a length different from the OE bolts for your car.) Note the rounded shoulder on the bolt.

Unfortunately, not knowing what your wheels are makes it very difficult for anyone, including our experts on wheels and lug bolts, to answer your question accurately.
Just want to clarify, AFAIK all Mercedes OE wheels use ball seats and not cone seats. Yes, I know........the attached picture is a ball seat.

Here's the difference:

·
Registered
908 Posts
2009 s550
Went to get my tires rotated and they recommended changing out my lug bolts to 1 piece instead of the 2 piece.
They didn't have the correct length bolt at the store

Any idea or maybe a link to the correct 1 piece bolt would be much appreciated.

Call Tire Rack with the information on your wheel's and they'll hook you up with the right stuff.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,841 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,757 Posts
No it was a tire store and not oe tires

Not to be pedantic, but if the wheels are aftermarket or even from a later model year, you might need different length bolts. I believe all of the W221 cars with stock wheels take a M14 (diameter) x 1.5 (thread) bolt, just need the length. Stock bolts for the 2007-2009 W221 appear to be 69mm long, P/N 000 990 54 07. There is an odd exception for some special equipment 7-spoke wheels, don't think I've ever seen them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not to be pedantic, but if the wheels are aftermarket or even from a later model year, you might need different length bolts. I believe all of the W221 cars with stock wheels take a M14 (diameter) x 1.5 (thread) bolt, just need the length. Stock bolts for the 2007-2009 W221 appear to be 69mm long, P/N 000 990 54 07. There is an odd exception for some special equipment 7-spoke wheels, don't think I've ever seen them.
When I get home I will take a pic of the rims

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
marc_damron
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing