1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Feds: Phoning, texting killed 3,092 in car crashes last year

By James R. Healey, USA TODAY
Updated 1d 1h ago

The government says that 3,092 people died last year in "distraction-affected" crashes, a newly refined measurement meant to tally the effect of texting, phoning or simply answering a call while driving.

That was one of every 11 U.S. traffic deaths.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it refined and narrowed how it counts distraction crashes, so the 2010 tally can't be directly compared to 2009's 5,474 "distraction-related" traffic fatalities.

Also in Drive On: NHTSA says fatality rate on U.S. roads last year an all-time low

Distraction can include hands-free phone use, says the NHTSA.

Results of a nationwide NHTSA survey suggest that reducing fatal wrecks caused by calling and texting could be tough.

Most unsettling finding: More than three-fourths of drivers said they are willing to answer calls on all, most, or some trips. Drivers also report that they rarely consider traffic situations when deciding when to use their phones.

But nearly all those same drivers said they would feel unsafe as passengers if the driver were texting or calling.

The NHTSA survey was conducted by telephone. Many respondents were contacted on their cell phones. One can only hope they weren't also driving.

NHTSA's data:

Overall "National Phone Survey on Distracted Driving Attitudes and Behaviors" report

Telephone use report.

Electronic-device use report.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
If I don't get on the phone I am going to shoot some fucker who is either afraid to drive or completely ignorant to others around him/her. Fuck them and the fuckin' lame ass horse they rode in on. Fuckers.

·
Registered
24,029 Posts
This accident took place in the summer of 2007 near Rochester, NY. Subsequent investigation revealed that the SUV driver was texting just moments before the crash.
Cell phones need to be locked in the trunk in case they accidentally go on.

·
Premium Member
43,635 Posts
Oh dear. Shane forgot his meds again.
Have you ever tried to get anywhere with these self righteous assholes in front of you? Some of us take driving seriously and we would apppreciate a little understanding and recognition. If you just don't get it there is a bus and train pass ready and waiting for you. Take it and shove it up your ugly ass.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
I was just reading this on the smartphone while driving home.

Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
I was just reading this on the smartphone while driving home.

Interesting stuff.
LOL, I just am responding to this while speeding in town and typing with both hands and having a video chat on skype and trying to change my radio station.

No seriously, I think bluetooth should be mandatory and there should be sensors installed in phones so while driving, ONLY bluetooth can function and the call would be limited to 15 seconds, just long enough for you to tell the other person that you'll call them back after you stop the car or some sort of similar technology. For some things, decisions for the people need to be made by the government and I think this is an important issue that the government should be involved in.

On another note I just figured out how to wirelessly, through my home network, play my music stored my my smart phone, through my 3D BlueRay home theater system and am jumping with joy. (Yes I am slow with these things:D)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts