Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 (W124) 4-Door Sedan
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out... looks like a legendary black velvet hammer strikes ebay again....500E :bowdown:

Would any of you pay $$$ even with a salvaged title?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Man, I wouldn't go near that car. I know it's a 500E, but the whole salvage title thing freaks me out. The auction also says it nees a lot of work. That means big $$, especially on a 500e since the parts are more expensive.

·
Registered
E500Es
29,576 Posts
Depending on if you were going to keep the car for a long time or flip it, a salvage title can be irrelevant. So many insurance companies are salvaging cars with very fixable damage these days [just to avoid hassles] that we are going to have to get used to salvage as an acceptable type of title on older cars as the ratio of cost to repair to book value hits a certain balance. Right now it is just a matter of economics. If the car has $7K of damage [which is really nothing on a Benz] but the book is $12K there is a good chance it will get a salvage title. NOTE This logic does not apply to flood cars.

As for 500E parts costing more than other Benz parts, nope. Parts for my 500Es are in the very same price range as for everything else that I have or restore. There are a very few parts that are specific to the 500E that seem a bit high [$500 for a PS pump] but it also is tied into the SLS system.

PAR is a VERY reliable Porsche dealer and is very good with cars. I would trust their “eye” to know what the car needs and if the car does not need more than the front end refresh and the normal wiring harness, tuneup, plugs wires etc then someone is going to get one hell of a deal if that car doesn’t move much higher than the $5K it is now.

EDIT: Looking at their Additional Work needed, that is around $2500-3000 to do EVERYTHING on that list.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still under $6k, a little over 2 hours and the reserve is still not met...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didn't even reach $6k, I wonder if what the reserve was...?

Anyways, it's nice to always dream a bout even rebuilding one of these.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow, if I wasn't so sick of expensive repairs and high gas prices, I'd buy this car. I really like the color combo (tan interior, dark gray exterior)

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigpete123 said:
Wow, if I wasn't so sick of expensive repairs and high gas prices, I'd buy this car. I really like the color combo (tan interior, dark gray exterior)
Interior looks, grayish-silver.

What do you think a place like Arizona would pound on a car after so many years?

I mean, this car would probably be running A/C all the time and just the weather alone could be damaging to the paint.

Any opinions on DRY-HOT or Desert state cars(California, Arizona, Nevada) Vs. DAMP-COLD or Humid state cars?(South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia)

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
my 124 is from cali desert and my 126 from tennessee. cali desert all the way. Best place might be the bay area. no salt, moderate temps, less sun.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,188 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts