• 14.3 seconds @ 99 mph, Car and Driver
  • 14.5 seconds @ 98 mph, Edmunds
  • 14.5 seconds @ 98 mph, Road & Track
SL55:
  • 13.0 seconds @ 110 mph, Car and Driver
  • 13.0 seconds @ 111 mph, Edmunds
  • 12.5 seconds @ 116 mph, Motor Trend
SL600:
  • 11.9 seconds @ 120 mph, Car and Driver (much disputed)
  • 12.5 seconds @ 117 mph, Popular Mechanics
SL65:
  • 11.9 seconds @ 123 mph, Car and Driver
  • 12.1 seconds @ 119 mph, Edmunds
Some additional times are listed on Dragtimes:

Fast Mercedes-Benz SL500s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com
Fast Mercedes-Benz SL55-AMGs 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com
Fast Mercedes-Benz SL600s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com
Fast Mercedes-Benz SL65-AMGs 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

·
Registered
626 Posts
specs look correct because the 2007 SL550 got the 5.5 liter with 382 HP

but the chart link shows this: Mercedes-Benz SL 500 0 - 80 kph

2008 Mercedes-Benz SL 500 accelerates from 0 to 80 kilometers per hour in 4.1 seconds.
Vehicle Mercedes-Benz SL 500
Power / weight 387 ps / 1835 kg
Time 4.10 s

This seems awfully fast !! Can anyone verify this spec/result ?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,686 Posts
Yes, that sounds about right. MBZ's claim for the SL550 is -60mph in 5.2 sec. Car & Driver tested the SL550 0-60 at just shy of 5 seconds. This chart show 0-100 kph (62.1mph) in 5.5sec, so that's all in the same ball park.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I ask this because I will probably only have one shot at my track since I don't have the required safety equipment to run in the 11s. I have a Kleemann tune of around 750 hp/840 tq on 93 octane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ask this because I will probably only have one shot at my track since I don't have the required safety equipment to run in the 11s. I have a Kleemann tune of around 750 hp/840 tq on 93 octane.
My $.02 is roll into the throttle with ESP on. You can practice the technique before going to the track.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,686 Posts
As long as you get a good straight line start, ESP should let you have some wheel spin and not kick in and spoil the fun. If you get any yaw, then shut will shut things down. The trick is in the tires. If they don't grip well enough, that spinning will waste time, so then you need to learn to feather the throttle to eliminate the spinning. But, if you tires grip quickly, then you'll waste time feathering with a rolling start. I know my SL550 (and previous CLK550) aren't in the same class of torque or HP, but my fastest runs are with good tires and flooring the accelerator.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Welcome p0nchik!

Cold is great for these cars ( or any performance car for that matter). Not so with traction but great with combustion!

Rudeny, with ESP on my car seems to always feel restricted from a standing start. With ESP disengaged I can take off with some wheel spin but it quickly grabs and goes. You can feel the ESP helping a tad but not fully shutting you down like when it is engaged.

I do recall at the track the launch area is generally kind of sticky so that should help as well. I think I will try with ESP disengaged and hope they don't kick me out after my first run. If I get a second chance, I will try with ESP engaged and compare.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Indeed, the colder, the better )
But we should compare pros from cold intake with cons from cold tires and track. Actually it was not a track, just a closed part piece of highway under construction.
I tried one rus with ESP off, but after having 30 meters of wheelspin I decided to act like a normal mercedes driver - you step on the gas and the car does the rest :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yep. I get the cold tire thing. That was the reason for my post of "not so with traction" :wink

If not at the track, I'm just curious how you measured the quarter mile time? I have a unit in one of my cars that uses accelerometers but you have to know the EXACT weight of the vehicle before the run. Very accurate, but a pain in the butt.

I know there are probably phone apps out there but not sure on their accuracy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, we acually don't have much 1/4 mile tracks here near Moscow :)

But those guys who organized these races had the equipment. The installed automatic measurement system on track with lights, etc. It measures reaction time (i belive its time between green light and crossing of the start line), 1/4 mile time and speed at the end of the distance (sort of two gates with sensors that measured your speed between them).

I got 13.2 seconds of 1/4 mile time (two runs, times matched) and speed in the end of 170 km\h (its someting like 108 mph)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
Triple cranks
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing