Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just completed a 2600 mile journey from southern california, to colorado, to new mexico and back to Southern CA going through arizona. by just i mean in febuary the weekend after valentines day. the adventure was carried out with three of my buddies in the car and a 1986 mercedes 300e. the car ran like a champ, even in the colorado cold all the way throught the rockies and to Ft. Collins. the car never missed a beat and still runs fine today. that motor is a beast, with 240,000 miles on the clock, perfect compression and no oil leaks. just stick it at 75 and rack up those miles.

after the trip, there was an oil change to make sure everything was gravy, and synthetic fuels were used to make sure that high mileage in a short timespan would be okay.

anybody else have high mileage drives in this fine vehicle? post your adventures here.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way, here is a map with our route highlighted for those of you who are unfamiliar with the united states.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I make the run from Los Angeles to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and back on a regular basis.

I take I-40 from L.A. to Alb. and then I-25 to Santa Fe.

It is a lovely drive. Some of the stretches of road through the Arizona high country forests and the California Mojave desert are some of the most beautiful stretches of road in the world.

I am glad you had a great time. I am also glad your 300E performed so well, especially in the high altitude (which can be rough on high mileage cars).

If you have the time, and enjoy hanging around other Benz owners, the Mercedes Benz Club of America is planning a "Historic Route 66" trip from Chicago to L.A. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary. You can join the trip at any point along the way.

Check this link for additional information.

http://mbca.cartama.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Enjoy and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I make the run from Los Angeles to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and back on a regular basis.

I take I-40 from L.A. to Albuquerque and then I-25 to Santa Fe.

It is a beautiful drive. Some of the stretches of road through the Arizona high country forests and the California Mojave desert are some of the most scenic stretches of road in the world. Just make sure you have your car checked before the drive, because there are stretches of road with NO service stations for many, many miles.

I am glad you had a great time. I am also glad your 300E performed so well, especially in the high altitude (which can be rough on high mileage cars).

If you have the time, and enjoy hanging around other Benz owners, the Mercedes Benz Club of America is planning a "Historic Route 66" trip from Chicago to L.A. They are celebrating their 50th anniversary. You can join the trip at any point along the way.

Check this link for additional information.

http://mbca.cartama.net/forumdisplay.php?f=66

Enjoy and thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's a big dirve to make on a regular basis, how do you do it. i drive up to my family on I-5 every now and then but even that is a good amount of driving for a short timespan. after this trip i didn't want to drive for about a week, just fatigue i guess. wish i could join the historic route 66 drive because i live right near Foothill Blvd. and the arrow highway.

·
Registered
794 Posts
One of my kids goes to school in New Mexico. It is only 1800 miles roundtrip. The biggest challenges are:

1. Not getting bored in the long, long stretches of road (so I got XM radio);

2. The constant altitude change,for example from near sea level at Albuquerque to about 7,000 in Santa Fe. (Keep the car well tuned and make sure that the altitude compensation "thingy" is working right); and

3. The long stretches of road with no service station along the way (Carry your own supplies, such as oil, water and duct tape and make sure that your cell phone works).

Other than that, the drive is a piece of cake! [:D]

·
Registered
794 Posts
thedudley - 4/21/2006 12:51 AM

that's a big dirve to make on a regular basis, how do you do it. i drive up to my family on I-5 every now and then but even that is a good amount of driving for a short timespan. after this trip i didn't want to drive for about a week, just fatigue i guess. wish i could join the historic route 66 drive because i live right near Foothill Blvd. and the arrow highway.
You don't have to do the entire Route 66 trip. You could drive to Flagstaff, or anywhere between Flagstaff and where you live, and then drive back with them.

The drive to Flgastaff is only about 7 hours from my home.

They are planning on taking the train from Williams, Az to the Grand Canyon. That is a very nice trip.

·
Registered
1976 BMW 2002. 1991 250TD. 1995 E320. 2018 Honda Africa Twin
2,714 Posts
i try to visit my mom in phoenix about once a month. its about 5 1/2 hours each way going fast.
ive done that and back in a single 24 hr period. i worked half the day, left early, went to see my mom and visiting aunt from england, started coming back home after about three hours, slept for three hours, went to work.
suffice it to say i didnt make it to rugby practise that night.

not recommended.

124s are excellent long distance cars.

·
Registered
Benz 260E and others
349 Posts
I just made a Montreal Canada/West Palm Beach,Fl round trip (5000km,or 3200mi) with my 1989 260E with over 400K on the clock.
A piece of cake.
Normal cruising speed approx 70mph on Hy95, averaged 31mpg for the trip and the baby drank a quart of oil during the trip.
No a single problem, except for a broken windshield on the Balwah thruway around Washington where kids were trowing rocks from an overpass.

·
Registered
SL320, 300e, 450SL
1,044 Posts
Drove my 91 300e w/ 125k miles on the clock from Mn to South Texas (San antonio) in December last December to visit a friend in the service and work at a clients house in Dallas. Cars ran awesome as injectors are new, recent major tune, etc. Made average of 25 MPG at 75-80 MPH w/ my Valentine one and Blinder lazer jammer w/ cutoff switch under dash.
After 2 weeks i was sick of Texas, left town on a Tues afternoon at 1 PM and drove straight through 1300 miles through the night returning home by 8AM Wednesday morning. $hit, i was the only guy on the road as all the truckers pull over and do who knows what[:0]from around 3-5 AM. I forgot to add, on the way down to Texas, i made it through a Blizzard w/ only my Summer tires/wheels as SUV's,cars, and semi's where stalling in the freeway and just got through Kansas in time before 35 was shut down for more than 4 hours!! HA!! The one wheel wonder w/ summer touring Yokohamas to the rescue!! This is the best road car ive ever owned, perhaps with the exception of my new 140 S-class which Ike from the 107 forum calls..."Moby Dick". You guys are true warriors, keep up the good work out there!![:0]

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was able to get 26 mpg with four people in the car on my dirve.

that said these are all great long distance drives. these cars are so great for highways. its the short gearing. it allows for passing power and economy.

·
Registered
794 Posts
thedudley said:
i was able to get 26 mpg with four people in the car on my dirve.

that said these are all great long distance drives. these cars are so great for highways. its the short gearing. it allows for passing power and economy.
26 MPG?

Going downhill???

:)

·
Registered
'87 300E
9 Posts
Mid-November, I drove my '87 300E to Mazatlan. Our maiden long distance voyage. The worst leg was Stockton to San Diego...10 hrs due to 2 traffic mishaps. This is where I started learning about my little baby. 1) The oil lamp coming on is NOT an emergency. Wondering why it had a guage AND a lamp, I looked it up in the manual to discover that I just needed to add some oil. :) 2) I didn't really need to pull over during the second period of stop-and-go traffic (2 hours worth) because of overheating. My trusty little manual told me "....and stop-and-go city traffic the coolant temperature may rise close to the red marking". Another relief.

Then 2 days of mostly daylight driving from San Diego-->Gila Bend-->Lukeville border crossing-->Santa Ana-->Guaymas--> and eventually Teacapan (about 60 miles south of Mazatlan. Oh yes, my son talked me into a $50.00 books-on-tape (12 cassettes) for the trip. I was leaving his place in San Diego a little before sunrise and the 1st tape kept popping back out, so I decided to wait until the sun was up and I had more light. Good thing too! When I got around to messing with it, I got the tape to remain in, but it wouldn't play or fast forward or anything. I popped it out and then noticed smoke coming out of the cassette slot. I decided to just listen to the radio.

I had no more incidents with the car until a few days before my return trip when I closed the sun roof. It closed forward fine, but when pushing the button up to get the back of the sunroof to raise and seal, it wouldn't. Just a clicking noise as if some gears were not meshing. (I later had the 'noise dampner'?) removed and the roof forced up by hand to provide a more-or-less waterproof seal.

Somewhere between Guaymas and the border, I noticed a particularly obnoxious, electrical-like smell....terror strikes!!! I noticed it for a mile or so until I passed the pickup truck that was ahead of me and then the smell went away. They don't have very strict pollution standards down there.

Well, I made it back safely and I have an appointment to have the sunroof looked at (possibly $300-400 !!!!) and a well deserved tune-up and general going over.

All-in-all, I love this car. Incidentally, I'm eating crow over statements made about MBZ owners by me in my younger years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts