Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally it came straight from Alabama- ha ha ha. Production date 3/09. OK I really like it so far. Much much smoother than my diesel. The grunt of the engine is not there obviously in fact the engine is super quiet even more than the ML 350 loaner I was driving lately. The tranny is like butter so far. Steering wheel is equipped with paddle shifters instead of buttons. The hard drive based COMAND is amazing SO MUCH BETTER- between the graphics, colors and screen resolution the difference is like night and day. Finally the interface feels like a really luxury vehicle. The NAV is very fast and the screen updates while driving much faster almost in real time. FINALLY THERE IS 3D view or MB calls it BIRDSEYE view. The voice command feature is also neat. You can control pretty much everything through voice commands. The joystick button interface is not the most user friendly but you get used to it.
After my first drive the brakes seemed much stronger. At first I thought they grip better because the car is new. Then I realized the front rotors seem a lot bigger and the rear rotors are vented (double). That explained the difference. The front calipers also seem bigger. The 09 R comes now standard with 18 inch wheels 255/55/18. Although the rear entertainment screens look a bit after market, they are bigger and the resolution and picture quality is much better. They come now with wireless headphones and you can watch two different movies on each screen. In fact you can even watch a movie on the front screen (COMMAND SCREEN) as long as the vehicle is in park. The 6 CD changer is also a 6 DVD changer. You can read SD cards for mp3 files and hook up other devices such as mp3 players and iPods. iPod now displays on the COMAND screen. Parktronic and rear view camera are standard with P1. Again there is a really big improvement in the camera picture quality between the the previous model and the 09. The rear view picture quality is really stunning crystal clear and amazing color. I also got the middle second row seat so the vehicle is now ready for 7 passengers. The middle seat is not very comfortable but it does the job. In addition to the four 12V outlets now the R comes with one 115V AC outlet. My only complaint is that MB removed the rear climate controls and replaced them with funky cup holder and a rubber storage/ coin bin. Oh well...Also according to specs the car is now 1 inch longer. From 203 inches for the 07 R to 204 inches long for the 09. Go figure...

·
Registered
08 R350, 07 Acura RL, 1989 Honda Shadow VLX600 (10K miles)
785 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Finally it came straight from Alabama- ha ha ha. Production date 3/09. OK I really like it so far. Much much smoother than my diesel. The grunt of the engine is not there obviously in fact the engine is super quiet even more than the ML 350 loaner I was driving lately. The tranny is like butter so far. Steering wheel is equipped with paddle shifters instead of buttons. The hard drive based COMAND is amazing SO MUCH BETTER- between the graphics, colors and screen resolution the difference is like night and day. Finally the interface feels like a really luxury vehicle. The NAV is very fast and the screen updates while driving much faster almost in real time. FINALLY THERE IS 3D view or MB calls it BIRDSEYE view. The voice command feature is also neat. You can control pretty much everything through voice commands. The joystick button interface is not the most user friendly but you get used to it.
After my first drive the brakes seemed much stronger. At first I thought they grip better because the car is new. Then I realized the front rotors seem a lot bigger and the rear rotors are vented (double). That explained the difference. The front calipers also seem bigger. The 09 R comes now standard with 18 inch wheels 255/55/18. Although the rear entertainment screens look a bit after market, they are bigger and the resolution and picture quality is much better. They come now with wireless headphones and you can watch two different movies on each screen. In fact you can even watch a movie on the front screen (COMMAND SCREEN) as long as the vehicle is in park. The 6 CD changer is also a 6 DVD changer. You can read SD cards for mp3 files and hook up other devices such as mp3 players and iPods. iPod now displays on the COMAND screen. Parktronic and rear view camera are standard with P1. Again there is a really big improvement in the camera picture quality between the the previous model and the 09. The rear view picture quality is really stunning crystal clear and amazing color. I also got the middle second row seat so the vehicle is now ready for 7 passengers. The middle seat is not very comfortable but it does the job. In addition to the four 12V outlets now the R comes with one 115V AC outlet. My only complaint is that MB removed the rear climate controls and replaced them with funky cup holder and a rubber storage/ coin bin. Oh well...Also according to specs the car is now 1 inch longer. From 203 inches for the 07 R to 204 inches long for the 09. Go figure...
I am trying to justify the added expense of a new 09 vs a 08 demo and would appreciate any knowledgable owners chime in. Both cars are P2 and the difference after haggling is about 7k. The demo will have the full 4/50 warranty.

I researched the webpages and found the 09 has 13 in rotors front vented and 13 in rear solid. I believe this is the same as the 08s?

Is the 09 drivers seat available with power lumbar?

Is the Airmatic Suspension standard for 09 and optional for 08? mbusa.com is not clear. It shows ADSII as a technical feature but then also says "optional electronically controlled pnuematic spring struts..."

Are bi-xenon headlights no longer available for 09?

The 3-zone climate control has 3rd row vents for 09 - now P2 package. P1 no longer has 3-zone and loses the 2nd row control?

Do 08s also have 2nd row side airbags standard like the 09s?

09s have bluetooth standard.

What else is different with the 09s??????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts