Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car in January. First Mercedes for us. Love the car. Went to the drive through for whopper. I put the window down and it made a pronounced ‘thunk’ when it got to the bottom. I thought, “that wasn’t right.” I tried to put the window up it went about 4 inches and stopped. I could hear the cables being eaten & wrapping around where they don’t belong. Luckily my motor is fine. I’ve replaced many regulators over the years in everything but a Mercedes, as I was professional technician for a living. My question is this: does everyone normally go to the dealer for things like this? I’ve priced Them from $50 to $400 on eBay or amazon. I was thinking I shouldn’t mess around with something inferior and just get factory, but I thought I’d ask you fine folks who your sources are.
Thanks for your time.
K.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got the car in January. First Mercedes for us. Love the car. Went to the drive through for whopper. I put the window down and it made a pronounced ‘thunk’ when it got to the bottom. I thought, “that wasn’t right.” I tried to put the window up it went about 4 inches and stopped. I could hear the cables being eaten & wrapping around where they don’t belong. Luckily my motor is fine. I’ve replaced many regulators over the years in everything but a Mercedes, as I was professional technician for a living. My question is this: does everyone normally go to the dealer for things like this? I’ve priced Them from $50 to $400 on eBay or amazon. I was thinking I shouldn’t mess around with something inferior and just get factory, but I thought I’d ask you fine folks who your sources are.
Thanks for your time.
K.

Where do you live?
Same thing happened to me. I live in New York and was able to take my car to Shea stadium where there are about 50 vehicle repair shops and they were able to repair my window regulator for $150.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Where do you live?
Same thing happened to me. I live in New York and was able to take my car to Shea stadium where there are about 50 vehicle repair shops and they were able to repair my window regulator for $150.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
St. Louis, Missouri. That’d be quite a commute. I am a technician and have done many regulators. I don’t think any of them ever went for $350 just for the part. But hey, if it bothers me, I shouldn’t have bought the car. I wanted to make sure it was the route to go, that’s all. I got some great info above. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See attachments + following links:
I wanted to say thanks for all the information. It will help alot.
I ended up getting my regulator from Mercedes Benz of Covington.
On the regulator, their online price was a $100 less than driving across town to Mercedes Benz of St. Louis.
Really glad I joined this page.
Next I'll have to fix the Command cd player, it searches for cd and does nothing but click. Radio & phone work well.

Thanks to everyone who has commented!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a follow up. Repair went great. Dealer parts were spot on. Unfortunately, someone has been inside the door previously. Found a couple rubber plugs missing and the entire vapor barrier is gone. At 129,000 miles, I imagine the may not be the first regulator failure. The cable snapped on the old regulator. back together, Performed learn procedure for top of travel, and adjusted the upper mount to prevent wind noise.
Thanks again for All the info.
Kobayashi.

·
Registered
W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
1,226 Posts
Windows regulator is very prone to fail. I already bought (spare) drivers door regulator when saw one local garage selling original part under half price. Hope I never need it knocking wood

1 - 10 of 10 Posts