Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 ML320 and the Navigation unit I feel is outdated and want to replace it with the new colour screen ones in the 09+ models. Is this possible/worth doing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also have an 08 and was wondering about just updates. Is the only way to update the nav is with a DVD? I heard they were about $300. With new roads every year does MB expect owners to buy new DVD every year or two?

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
03 ML500, 07 E350 Sport
235 Posts
Can't help with the 08-09 unit question, but I have updated the DVD on my W163 last year. I believe I paid $250, same for all. NavTeq data is about a year or so behind from release. I waited and waited for an update on mine, as it was an 08-09 and even mfr said they usually had released updates by time I bought mine. It is an upgrade from my 03 DVD but I wouldn't buy them every year. As it turns out, I read they will no longer be updating DVDs for my unit so that's why they missed their target date. Hope it helps a little.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
I also have an 08 and was wondering about just updates. Is the only way to update the nav is with a DVD? I heard they were about $300. With new roads every year does MB expect owners to buy new DVD every year or two?

Any ideas on this?
Try Ebay. Approx $80 get's you an update CD. I upgraded mine but IMHO it is waste of money unless you live in an area that is expanding rapidly (like 10% growth in development per couple of years or something which is unheard of anymore.). The interstate highway system does not change that often! I personally plan on upgrading only after I start seeing the need..

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can you download the update somewhere and just burn it?
Don't think you can download it, NAVTEQ the author would shut down any such attempt. Also just be advised that once you insert an update DVD, the system performs an upgrade automatically. You can't downgrade to the previous version (chances are you wouldn't need to anyway). I say this because I have an 2006 and a 2008 Benz. I inserted the 2008 DVD which is a newer version to the 2006 car and it performed the update of the maps (no upgrade to the firmware) but from that point on I was forced to use that DVD with the newer version if I wanted to use NAV. I'm other words if you decide to try a friends DVD make sure you make a good copy first. I am told that copied DVDs work but I decided to buy a OEM copy on EBay.

·
Registered
ML 350
65 Posts
Does updated the NAV DVD change the screen shots from an 07? What a POS that NAV system is and difficult to use.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Does updated the NAV DVD change the screen shots from an 07? What a POS that NAV system is and difficult to use.
Update is only for the maps. NOT the firmware. The look and feel after the update will be identical to what you have now.

Although I agree that the MB NAV is not very user friendly I found that once I learned how to use it well it was not as bad at all.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If anyone is replace the NAV to the new hard drive version, please let me know. I want to add nav to my 08Ml.
Advertisers on this site offer some great upgrades to your system. The look is identical to OEM with new features and screen look.They even offer things like Flir as an add on.Expect to spend 3-4 grand, but the new system is plug and play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts