Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I'm a happy Audi owner who needs to get a family hauler for his wife and three kids. The Q7 et al. don't provide enough easy access to the third row for daily use so I've narrowed the search to the Buick Enclave and the R350 (with either the 6-pass armrests or the 7-pass center seat removed).

I was floored to discover that ~29K buys a 2008 R350 with 35,000 miles, and ~33K buys an Enclave of the same year and milage (this assuming neither are CPO). Both have 50,000 mile warranties, AWD, nav, backup cameras, two giant sunroofs, and comfortable third row seating.

I'm assuming that here, as in my beloved Audiworld.com C5 forum, most of you love your cars. But I have to ask...would you do it again? Have you driven an Enclave, and if so how would you compare the two? I've driven both and I'm completely torn.

Your input is most valuable.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Alpine Rain R500
203 Posts
I myself was in your position earlier this year before we settled on our 2006 R500. The Enclave is an excellent vehicle, scores fairly well on all road tests and most dealers have a hard time keeping them in stock, especially the fully loaded models. But I got to say there is something special about driving an European car as you already know (being an Audi owner). My experience with domestic cars is that their fit and fitness is not there, and worse after 3 years or so, the whole vehicle starts to feel loose and suspension starts to float. I have been in and still currrently are in the service side of the car business and I stand by comment about domestic vehicles, I see a lot of different kind of cars.
You and your family ultimately will have to decide what works for you guys, most us of here will probably say the R because we are in a MB forum.

·
Registered
'12 E550 Cabriolet, steel grey, P2; '07 R320 CDI, P1, Barolo red
114 Posts
we looked at both

We considered the R and the enclave and went with the R for several reasons

1. We had a buick rendezvous before that was practically a lemon. Bigger issue was the lack service from the dealer and GM -- constantly tried to dodge responsibility.

2. The enclave cockpit is great -- they spent all the money upfront. The R class 2nd and 3rd rows are much nicer. My daughter said it was "swanky."

3. Classic GM is that the Enclave is underpowered. Not enough torque so tranny is constantly downshifting. R-class is much better -- we picked the R320 because of the HUGE torque for around town and unmatched passing ability.

The R class you have to take on the highway to really appreciate -- this car was built for touring at 80mph. Unbelievably solid. Enclave didn't feel as planted.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
... Unbelievably solid. Enclave didn't feel as planted.
I haven't driven an Enclave yet but was in one a couple of times as a passenger. I agree they have done a good job with the interior. The two vehicles however are in two totally different categories so it is quite unfair to compare them as equals. The Mercedes is in the high performance, luxury category and the Buick is in the entry level luxury (Cadillac is their luxury brand) and family category. They are not the same. MB is for more eclectic drivers including spirited ones, and Buick is for folks that need decent transportation. (In my area 90%+ of Buick drivers are senior citizens for some reason - the Enclave is the exception admittedly).
You said it right however, that the R-class is SOLID. And guess what, it will always be solid, even when it has a zillion miles and everything is starting to die, the feel and handling will be unparalleled because it is built on some of the stiffest chassis ever mass produced.

Great choice! You will not regret it!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Hey man, you are an AUDI owner and you know exactly what's going on... I think you knew the answer all along...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts