Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys based on research and personal opinion I bought a 2008 ML350 Certified vehicle today. The vehicle has a certified warranty on it for another 60,000 miles (It has 40,000 on it now). My girl friend made an observation when the car was in the garage when I go from park to reverse or to drive the transmission makes a bit of a sound. Like all car sounds it’s nearly impossible to describe and it’s something I've never heard before. I know with the shifter being just a button to shift type setup I was wondering if it was just a normal sound. Wondering what you guys think. It’s just a machine type sound maybe with a tiny squeal. The car is certified and has been checked out thoroughly (or so they told me) so I'd assume if the sound was out of ordinary it wound have been fixed before it was certified and sold. Thanks for the input and I love my new car.

Brian

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you mean a split second grinding sort of sound when you select a gear...its the electric selenoid(down on the outside of the tranny) shifting your transmission into gear when you push the button or move the lever

·
Registered
2008 ML350; 2001 SLK230 (traded in)
1,006 Posts
My 2008 makes the same brief sound. Electronics shifting the tranny.

·
Registered
12 ML350 Bluetec pkg 2, 08 BMW 135i, 2012 F250 PS Diesel
213 Posts
Normal- same sound on ours. Has been that way for along time and many miles. Congrats and enjoy your ml.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good deal. Thanks for all the responses guys and I got to tell you I couldn't be more excited with my car. On an unrelated note Mercedes is telling me to take the car into service every 10-13000 miles. I've also heard some people do it more frequently than that. Whats your thoughts on this? I'd rather be safe than sorry but at the same time dont want to waste my money.

·
Registered
GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
437 Posts
Good deal. Thanks for all the responses guys and I got to tell you I couldn't be more excited with my car. On an unrelated note Mercedes is telling me to take the car into service every 10-13000 miles. I've also heard some people do it more frequently than that. Whats your thoughts on this? I'd rather be safe than sorry but at the same time dont want to waste my money.
Yes, the noise you are describing is normal.

As far as service is concerned, the manufacturer schedule is 13K miles or one year (whichever comes first). The car's computer will alert when it is time to get the oil changed etc. It will say something like "Service A DUE in X miles". Whenever you reach the 30 day mark from the due date it will count down the days and alert you every time you start the motor.

The Mercedes service schedule is very conservative. The synthetic oil used, can actually last much longer than 13K miles (I've heard about 25K is the limit). I know it is hard to forget about all you have been taught all your life, but waiting for the car to tell you when it needs serviced is the right thing to do. Then, follow the MB recommended services religiously. No shortcuts on parts and fluids here!

Personally I take both my cars to the dealer for all services because I have an excellent relationship with them. A good alternative is a reputable independent shop that specializes in Mercedes vehicles (ask around). You do NOt want to take it to your local jiffy lube or Bob's corner garage no matter how honest and nice they may be! They just don't have the expertise! Not even for an oil change...

I hope any of this helps. Welcome aboard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts