Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my E320 Bluetec for a little over a month now, and the entire time i have been driving with the transmission setting in the "comfort" mode. During this time, I noticed that my transmission felt a bit awkward in moderate acceleration (or stop/ go) in parking decks and brake feel was generally more spongy than I had hoped (fyi, my old car was a BMW 3 series). For some reason, today I decided to switch my transmission to the "sport" mode. To my surprise, the transimission awkwardness appears to be gone now, and the brakes feel much more crisp.

So here is my question...since the comfort/ sport mode is supposed to be a transmission only setting, does any know if the change in setting also impacts brake feel? I have not been able to find anything in literature about this, so I thought I would pose the question here on the forum to see if anyone here has any thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
I thought it was for the trans only also.
On mine I do not notice a difference in the brakes when changing the setting.

When is the last time the fluid was flushed and changed with MB DOT 4+ fluid?

·
Registered
2008 E320 Bluetec
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car as a CPO from the MB dealer (42K miles), and the fluid was changed as part of the CPO service. If in fact it is a "fluke" that my braking is better with the switch from comfort to sport mode, do you think the brake feel can be improved with some adjustment by the technician? I had an 1988 300E several years ago, and I seem to recall the brake feel being very good on that car...so I would defintely have to think that my 2008 would have the same or better brake feel.

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,134 Posts
I honestly do not know as it is something that has never been posted before.

It is worth calling the dealer to see what can be done.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
1,017 Posts
After I bought my 2009 when still new my brakes were just awful, during driving there was just too much travel (i.e. delay) to be comfortable, and in the first winter and the pedal almost went to the floor on the first application out of the driveway . Numerous complaints at the dealer were answered with "these are adaptive brakes, controlled by the computer", and, that they were "normal for a 350".

That didn't stop me from complaining, and after an unrelated shop visit, the brakes improved tremendously, and have been good (no more than 1" travel) ever since (now at 70k km).

Maybe they can program the "adaptive" brakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts