Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got an 07 S550 with 53,000 miles and I have some service questions.

I am doing it all my self so...

After looking over the booklet it seems that I have to do these things (some might should have been done a while ago, but I just bought the car and there are no records so I am going to do them now to be sure):

Replace Brake Fluid - how do I do this? Is it really necessary every two years or at all?

Replace Transmission oil and filter - where is the filter, drain and filler and again is this really necessary?

Air cleaner - how do I do it?

Combination filter - where is it, also I had a w220 before and I remeber there being a charcoal filter, combin and I think dust(?), I guess the 221 just has one?

Lastly, I keeps telling me that service c has been exceeded by what ever amount days, and first what is service c, because in the book they are all sorted by numbers and also how do I reset this? I know how to get into the Asysst Plus menu, but once i'm in the Service due part everything is confusing, there is nothing there that says reset.

Sorry to plop all those questions on you, if someone could point me to some tutorials or just answer what they know.

Otherwise, everything seems like a joke like "Check condition of seat buckles."

Thanks for your help,

John

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
If you want to take care of the service yourself, I'd suggest you to have a look at WIS instructions. If you are from the US, you can purchase access to WIS from startekinfo. Not expensive if you only subscribe to download this info.

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you want to take care of the service yourself, I'd suggest you to have a look at WIS instructions. If you are from the US, you can purchase access to WIS from startekinfo. Not expensive if you only subscribe to download this info.
I will probably end up doing that, but right now I am mainly concerned with the Transmission oil and filter change, if someone could help me out with how to drain, fill and where to find filter.

-John

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
Hi,

I got an 07 S550 with 53,000 miles and I have some service questions.

I am doing it all my self so...

After looking over the booklet it seems that I have to do these things (some might should have been done a while ago, but I just bought the car and there are no records so I am going to do them now to be sure):

Replace Brake Fluid - how do I do this? Is it really necessary every two years or at all?

Replace Transmission oil and filter - where is the filter, drain and filler and again is this really necessary?

Air cleaner - how do I do it?

Combination filter - where is it, also I had a w220 before and I remeber there being a charcoal filter, combin and I think dust(?), I guess the 221 just has one?

Lastly, I keeps telling me that service c has been exceeded by what ever amount days, and first what is service c, because in the book they are all sorted by numbers and also how do I reset this? I know how to get into the Asysst Plus menu, but once i'm in the Service due part everything is confusing, there is nothing there that says reset.

Sorry to plop all those questions on you, if someone could point me to some tutorials or just answer what they know.

Otherwise, everything seems like a joke like "Check condition of seat buckles."

Thanks for your help,

John
brake fluid needs to be done every 2 yrs or every 24,000 miles. unless you have a pressure bleeder you cant do it yourself. you can do the manual method but will need a second person.

for your car you have a 722.9 trans and the service is due at 39,000 miles, but you cant do this yourself as the fluid has to be added with a special filling machine that the dealer has, fluid is added at the drain plug on the trans pan.

air filter is cake, remove the air cleaner assembly and remove the 8 torx screws holding each filter in.

combo filter is under the passenger side dash. have to remove the underdash panel.

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brake fluid needs to be done every 2 yrs or every 24,000 miles. unless you have a pressure bleeder you cant do it yourself. you can do the manual method but will need a second person.

for your car you have a 722.9 trans and the service is due at 39,000 miles, but you cant do this yourself as the fluid has to be added with a special filling machine that the dealer has, fluid is added at the drain plug on the trans pan.

air filter is cake, remove the air cleaner assembly and remove the 8 torx screws holding each filter in.

combo filter is under the passenger side dash. have to remove the underdash panel.
Alright thank you.

Do you think the tranny fluid is something that really needs to be done? I remember once hearing the trannies from merc were "sealed for life."

And what is the point for changing the brake fluid?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
brake fluid is hydroscopic which means it absorbs moisture, so over time the boiling point of the fluid drops, ever see what happens to water if you heat it up on the stove, it starts to boil, brake fluid will do the same if the boiling point drops low enough so if you heat up your brakes to the point that the fluid will boil and basically become air and you wont have brakes. also overtime fluid starts becoming dirty and if you leave it dirty you will cause damage to the rubber brake lines, master cylinder, calipers, etc......

the sealed for life issue is garbage. on the 722.9 trans the fluid is black after 10,000 miles. its just a precaution to avoid issue. i would do it, the dealer has to do it though, fluid again is pumped through the trans pan with a machine

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My left low beam just went out.

Whats the deal with fixing it?

I don't really have any experience with Xenons, but is it just a bulb?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
it depends, it may be a bulb, the ignitor or the control unit. best way to see is take the bulb from the other side and install it.

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The light fixed itself :D

About the cabin filter, I got them out, now I just need to put the new ones back in, which would be easy, but I noticed on the filters, there are arrows pointing in a certain direction saying "Air Flow" so, anyone know which way to install these filters?

John

·
Registered
2007 S550
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the arrows point away from each other, one to the left the other to the right
Thank you.

I actually figured it out by looking at the old filters and seeing which side caught all the garbage and the I turned on the fans to figure out which way the air flow is. Ironically, the arrows point against the air flow, I guess to the direction it is coming from. You would think it would point with the air flow.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts