Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 S550 (W221) w/o 4matic... My fiance was driving the car today and called me in a panic that the car was losing power and also stalled on her a couple of times. The check engine indicator was lit for a couole of hours but now off. She had to stop for gas so i told her to have them check oil, they did and it was a lil low but nothing drastic. When she got home I put my computer on it and got a code for crankshaft position sensor A... My question here is this something I can handle myself? I am great with engines, I have always worked on my own (american) cars but this is the first time I am dealing with a Mercedes. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 S550 4Matic
39 Posts
What is the DTC code number?
What is the engine serial number?
What is the mileage?

Early production 2007s have idler gear problems. Camshaft positions becomes incorrect relative to the crankshaft position due to a faulty idler gear. DTC codes of 1200 and/or 1208 are usually indicative of this or related problem.

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the DTC code number?
What is the engine serial number?
What is the mileage?

Early production 2007s have idler gear problems. Camshaft positions becomes incorrect relative to the crankshaft position due to a faulty idler gear. DTC codes of 1200 and/or 1208 are usually indicative of this or related problem.
n

The milage is approx 90K, I don't have serial no right now cause I'm on the road. I believe the code was in the 400's somewhere. It said crankshaft position sensor A

The symtoms were all that of a faulty sensor... A buddy of mine is replacing it today. Part was $40 so I figure what the heck. Hopefully that takes care of my problen, really don't need to be getting in to a whole mess with an idle gear.

Thank u very much for your response... Will follow up once part is changed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts