Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 S550 w/o 4matic... I have been noticing that the ride is getting rougher... some clunking on bumps and over a poor ride. Recently I saw a malfunction message come up... it is the same picture that is on the button to raise the car so I am assuming it is the auto leveler. Does this car ride strickly on air? Cause if I had to guess I would say that it seems like there are some springs that are shot. Maybe there is a spring enclosed in the air ride strut? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, has no one had this issue at all??? I read some posts about the air suspension pump but not sure if my issue would be caused by this. The car has a clunky ride and just doesnt feel like a S550 should... I get the trouble light only every now and then (just says "malfunction" and shows a picture of the leveler... car with arrow up). If I shut the car down and immediately restart its gone. But the ride is always clunky... any ideas? Would greatly appreciate the help... car out of warranty and I'm sure we all know times are rough. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
Unless it has the ABC suspension option, it has Airmatic "air springs", no steel spring like on the ABC car (where the steel spring carries partially the car weight).

You could have a leak somewhere if you get warnings about the car being too low. This easily kills the Airmatic compressor (since it needs to pump the air that leaks out).

Otherwise ride quality is more likely from bad shocks, or even bad joints.

·
Registered
2000 S500 Kleemann, 2007 S550
142 Posts
I had the same symptoms and got the car hooked upto star and the codes came back as failing airmatic pump, seems it is common for them to fail.

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I dont believe I have the ABC you talk about. I have looked underneath and dont see any steel springs. The only message I ever got was a light that comes on and says "Malfunction" and shows a pic of the car and an arrow up sign. Just like the one on the button u would hit to raise the car up. How do I have the car hooked up to "star"? I imagine this is going to be a dealer only thing right? I live in NYC and the dealers here reallly like to bang you over the head. I guess I am going to have to do it though... I cannot take this ride being so crappy. Shocks would certainly give this condition and lord knows these city streets can really beat a car up. Car has 90K on clock, maybe I should just change out shocks and check all the joints to see. Trying to do as much of my own work as possible. When I had the lincolns we did everything in house. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2000 S500 Kleemann, 2007 S550
142 Posts
If your struts were leaking the car would probably be slammed to the ground, the air pump is $250 from parts.com and a couple of hours labour. I had same symptoms and now the ride is smooth again with new pump.

·
Registered
2001 E320 and 2007 S550
25 Posts
I have the same issue, same year. Thunking noise going over bumps at low speed, as if suspension was bottoming out or something large was loose in the car (I've checked everything and nothing is loose...) I also get the Malfunction light. An indy pulled codes and the error was something about taking too much time for the air shock to fill.

Otherwise the car rides fine, comfortable on the highway, level, nothing obviously wrong with one shock or another.

I guess I'll swap the pump and see what happens.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The configuration of an AirMatic shock is essentially an air bladder set atop a conventional strut. The bladder functions as a cushion between the strut and the car. If one or more struts have failed (leak)

If you can get the car up on a lift you can inspect the struts and look for leaks. I'd also inspect the motor mounts (also fluid filled and will leak when they've failed) and the transmission mounts while you're under there.

·
Registered
2007 S550
77 Posts
Plaineman.. I don't have a S550 but did have this issue on my S500 and it was the airmatics pump failing... You can tell when you turn off the car and let it sit for 10-15 and if it starts to lower down onto the wheels you'll know that's what it is! Now here's the bad part... about $900 to replace the pump & if you don't you can't drive the car or run the risk of even more serious damage to the car. Sorry man!

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,428 Posts
Plaineman.. I don't have a S550 but did have this issue on my S500 and it was the airmatics pump failing... You can tell when you turn off the car and let it sit for 10-15 and if it starts to lower down onto the wheels you'll know that's what it is! Now here's the bad part... about $900 to replace the pump & if you don't you can't drive the car or run the risk of even more serious damage to the car. Sorry man!
If the car lowers while parked, it would not be an issue on the compressor but a leak somewhere (air bellows, valves, tubes...). The pump would fail because of the leak (it would need to run hard to compensate the leak while normally it would run very infrequently).

·
Registered
2007 S550 and 2008 S550
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so been a while since I posted here... actually I have not been using the car to much and we just deal with it while using it locally. If you are not going over small bumps that make the suspension flutter then it is not a big deal. I believe I have ruled out that this is a pump problem... all struts are holding air and the vehicle raises and lowers as normal. I am no longer getting the malfunction light but the overall ride is still very poor. I am starting to get this car in shape as I may be driving it across country soon. I will post again here once I figure this out... checking all bushings and mounts this weekend. Hopefully it's nothing that will break the bank to fix. Its all out of pocket at this point. Thanks for all responses.

·
Registered
2007 ML500 & 2014 S550
35 Posts
I wanted to post here to revive this thread and see if anyone had any more information. My 2008 S550 has the same issues as described. Malfunction light and a clunking noise up front over bumps. Mercedes replaced pump and relay and light still came on. They say the noise is a strut, but my warranty won't cover it until it fails. They claim they don't fix noises. Mercedes is now replacing the control module. I am hopeful they will replace the airmatic shocks.. Mercedes have had the car over a week now and seem stumped..

·
Registered
2008 S550 P3 w/ AMG sport package, 2011 Zo6/Z07, 2015 GMC Crew SLT, 1970 GTO
161 Posts
Maybe they don't but something broken is causing the noise and the dealer is not representing it correctly. It didn't make noise new! Wording is everything w/ third party warranties sometimes. Good luck

·
Registered
2007 ML500 & 2014 S550
35 Posts
Maybe they don't but something broken is causing the noise and the dealer is not representing it correctly. It didn't make noise new! Wording is everything w/ third party warranties sometimes. Good luck
I'm not real happy with how this particular MB service group has handled my whole situation. They deal with these 3rd party warranties and the tech told the maintenance guy it was an intermittent noise which is why I got denied on it. My feeling is that it's not right and needs to be fixed. When I questioned them on it, my service adviser said they are at the mercy of the adjusters. I told him semantics are important here..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Presentation and wording of the issue is very important w/ 3 rd party warranties. Next month when you come in make sure the strut in question is bad and make sure they explain that clearly or be able to show the adjuster that may come in. Maybe another dealer that has a better service advisor. They know the 3 rd party warranties are a PITA. But they sell them right there at the dealer as that is where i bought mine when I purchased. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2007 ML500 & 2014 S550
35 Posts
Presentation and wording of the issue is very important w/ 3 rd party warranties. Next month when you come in make sure the strut in question is bad and make sure they explain that clearly or be able to show the adjuster that may come in. Maybe another dealer that has a better service advisor. They know the 3 rd party warranties are a PITA. But they sell them right there at the dealer as that is where i bought mine when I purchased. Best of luck.
Been struggling my way through this, but looks like it is working out in the end. After replacing the pump & relay....then replaced the control module...Light still comes on consistently. Got a call on Friday and said that they are now replacing both front air struts and while removing the front A-Arm, the mechanic broke the A-Arm, so I guess getting one of those as well. Sounds experimental to me and the car has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now.

When I took my wife's ML500 in to this dealership, had to make multiple trips to get a leak fixed. Last time the ML500 was in, the service adviser said the front air strut blew while driving through the parking lot and somehow that was my responsibility as she doesn't have an extended warranty. Need to get that back in place as her ML has been a night mare for repairs.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The squeaky wheel get the oil. Sometimes you just have to play their game and go back .Funny you mention the ML being an issue. While I was in getting the seat bladder valve fixed and being new to the S class, I asked about all the issues w/ the S class. He assured me they weren't a bad car and not many big issues with them at all. He then mentioned I see ML's all the time and actually pretty often. Looked at my maintenance record on my car and said you should have a good experience as you have been maintained. Said staying up on the maintenance keeps them out of the dealer. But he went on for 10 minutes about the ML's! Good luck!

·
Registered
2007 ML500 & 2014 S550
35 Posts
I think I am about to get screwed somehow on this problem.. When the car first went in for the malfunction light, I was told they needed an error code for my 3rd party warranty to cover it. I brought it back in when the light was consistent. They replaced the pump and relay and the warranty denied the control module. I drove it out and the light immediately came on. I took it back and Mercedes replaced the control module and the light continued to come on. Mercedes then went in and replaced both front air struts and an A-Arm they said broke when they were replacing the struts. I am now waiting for my warranty company to send someone out and approve the work that Mercedes has already done. I had said it needed the strut due to the rattle noise, but that was denied the first go round. Now we are back to having these folks come out and look at the car. I told the service advisor to call me to authorize any funds, but not sure what happens if it gets denied and the work was already done. Service advisor says warranty covers this so I shouldn't be nervous, but hate I am getting approval after the work is done. Don't want to get in arm wrestling match when Mercedes has my car. Hopefully this will sort itself out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts