Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
07 S550, 99 Q45t, 89 Mirage Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my front lower rearward control arms on a non ABC car. Have the new parts, but the one video I saw mentioned discharging the air spring with STAR. Which makes sense. But I don't really feel like shelling out $650 for the Chinese version. Is there a way to do it without ending up with a ton of error codes? I thought about disconnecting the batteries, or removing the pump fuse, and cracking open the top air supply line after jacking it up. Then connect everything back up and using the raise suspension button before putting it back on it's wheels. Does the air spring have a check valve for the input line on top?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,873 Posts
It is possible to disconnect the batteries and crack open the supply line. It is a lot more work to me to do that than use the Xentry system and if you plan to keep this car for a while the $650 will seem like small amount in a hurry. Don't mean to be dramatic with that statement, just years of experience with these cars, even my 01 E430 loved me more when I connected it to the SDS. ;)

No check valve on the air strut, it is in the valve control block behind bumper on the front right of the car.

·
Registered
07 S550, 99 Q45t, 89 Mirage Turbo
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is possible to disconnect the batteries and crack open the supply line. It is a lot more work to me to do that than use the Xentry system and if you plan to keep this car for a while the $650 will seem like small amount in a hurry. Don't mean to be dramatic with that statement, just years of experience with these cars, even my 01 E430 loved me more when I connected it to the SDS. ;)

No check valve on the air strut, it is in the valve control block behind bumper on the front right of the car.
I appreciate the reply. I picked this car up for way below market. I was looking for a Range Rover at the time but couldn't pass at the price. I might just drive it for winter and sell it, not sure yet. Hence why I'm hesitant to spend that money.

Would pulling the compressor fuse be fine, just to make sure it doesn't kick on, or would that make the computers unhappy?

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,873 Posts
Would pulling the compressor fuse be fine, just to make sure it doesn't kick on, or would that make the computers unhappy?
Not sure enough to say, makes sense but these two battery cars ... just not your usual bucket of chicken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts