Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, wow, it's been years since I've been on this forum, but I still get the happy birthday emails! In any event, I recently gifted my 1995 s420 to a family member, and in the same week, someone totaled my 1997 e300 diesel, so to say I'm having a rough week is an understatement. I understand that Mercedes doesn't make them like they used to years ago, but then again who does? My wife and I are thinking about purchasing another vehicle, and we've narrowed it down to the Lexus gx470 and the Mercedes ml320 Cdi. We currently own a Lexus and we love it's reliability. Albeit it may lack some sole, but it runs (knock on wood) my wife loves Mercedes but I just don't want to get stuck with heafty bills. We're looking at the 07 ml320 with about 90k miles for around the ballpark of 20k at the max. I'm mechanically competent and service our vehicles. But I just don't want to get stuck with something big that will consume my time overly. I don't mind minor stuff like a window regulator, or a alternator or belts or hoses, etc, but major big ticket repairs I despise. Can you guys inform me of the common problems of the 07 ml320 Cdi? Or what I should watch out for?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
07 ML320 CDI

I recently purchased one and great for about two months then tranny probs first repair 1500 then good for about a month 2000 so yes I love the vehicle but I dont know if I can continue to handle the repairs. Mine has 105k miles the first repair was battery, fuel filter, some ecm for tranny, second was valve body and now it runs really rougher but reading reviews that is sort how it should feel. So Im stuck with do I get out now or do I hope this is it for while

·
Registered
83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
875 Posts
gx470 vs ML320 ? The lexus has 3 rows of seats. The ML only has 2. It really boils down to your priorities. It sounds like you need a very reliable vehicle rather than a classy one. And since you have a budget of < $20K I say find a low mileage Lexus. Its hard to find a ML320 or Lexus with < 60K miles for less than $20K. If ever you find one...its too good to be true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in the uk and recently purchased a 2008 ML 320CDi having owned the older W163 version previously.

Purchased from a main Mercedes Dealer with 12 months Mercedes Warranty two months ago. Disappointingly I have had a glow plug fault already which resulted in a control unit being replaced (warranty paid) and 6 new glow plugs (not covered by Warranty !!). After my complaining the Sales Dept paid half so I only had a small bill luckily.

BUT it is a lovely car - really quick and has done 35 mpg (UK) on longer runs. I just hope it's reliable in the long term.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts