Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents . Im new to the forum and new to MB. I recently purchased a 07 ml500 and I love it. Id like to do some performance mods such as cold air intake and exhaust. Ive seached around the site but I havent been able to find much as far as suggestions for the 500. I could use some help. As far as what has worked the best for others. I got the car at a steal and have a few bucks left over to do some modifications. Lowering kit and wheels will come next any suggestions on that will be greatly appreiciated also. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes S550 2008 Mercedes x164, 2007 Mercedes w164, 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG
370 Posts
I would stay away from cold air intake and . I would look into powerchip ecu flash ask for the guy named matt.. He told me that you will gain 26 hp on a 2007 ml500 which i have as well. I also have done some modes to the truck cosmetically .. performance mods on our truck is going to be more then a few bucks. I can give you some ideas to if you want and where to get some of these mods for cheap .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would stay away from cold air intake and . I would look into powerchip ecu flash ask for the guy named matt.. He told me that you will gain 26 hp on a 2007 ml500 which i have as well. I also have done some modes to the truck cosmetically .. performance mods on our truck is going to be more then a few bucks. I can give you some ideas to if you want and where to get some of these mods for cheap .
Sure id appreciate any help you can give me. Why do you say stay away from the cold air intake?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
Sure id appreciate any help you can give me. Why do you say stay away from the cold air intake?
Maybe because your ENGINE ALREADY HAS ONE!

And, it already outperforms EVERY aftermarket "Gimick" filter setup by 10:1 in terms of filtering efficiency, restriction and maximum flow. Never mind the OEM system also pulls air from the high pressure region in front of the car.

By that statement alone you are already in over your head.

You might want to take the time to learn about the engine before hacking away and damaging it out of pure ignorance...

And FWIW, no turbo = No performance benefit short of $$$$ to modify the engine. Non-turbo gas engines have the worst ROI on $ per HP for performance software.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geesh it was just a question lol. But I like the honesty reminds me of myself. How about mufflers just to sound bit more aggressive ? And dare I ask your opinion about the "power chip"?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Geesh it was just a question lol. But I like the honesty reminds me of myself. How about mufflers just to sound bit more aggressive ? And dare I ask your opinion about the "power chip"?
Sound yes, performance no.

The OEM system had to be designed with the lowest possible back pressure and flow tuning to meet very stringent emissions. When the system was designed pressure and flow readings were calculated at every bend, every straight as well as flow dynamics at all power and rpm ranges.

I doubt any aftermarket system had a fraction of the engineering done to insure optimal performance across the full operating regime.

A chip on a gasoline engine is a waste of money. You get slight enrichment but this just results in overheating the catalysts thus reducing their service life. Very slight gains can be had with modified timing and slight enrichment (more time to burn the extra fuel) again taking us back to efficiency basics. An engine operating at peak efficiency (stock) is also producing the best power per liter and unit of fuel combusted.

To truly improve on stock, you would need either high compression ratios, performance cam and different induction tuning in the head and 95 octane. Beyond that the easier route would be a turbo or supercharger, intercooler etc to force an increase in the power per liter and an ECU to manange those systems.

Naturally aspirated engines are what they are and make a very poor subject to increase power with simple modifications. Just compute the $ cost per HP when pricing a chip...it becomes obvious that its a waste of time and money.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
All show no go.

FWIW, the MB system from the engine back is a " tuned" system for your specific engine. The only fluff would be those chrome tips.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All show no go.

FWIW, the MB system from the engine back is a " tuned" system for your specific engine. The only fluff would be those chrome tips.
Sounds like I got a better deal than I thought. I bought the most optimized vehicle ever produced. I'm surprised all these aftermarket companies even bother to produce all their products for the 07 ml500. They are all wasting their time. Mercedes Benz closed all room for improvement

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you ever see a test mule, you would not believe the amount of data they monitor to insure the vehicles perform to their maximum. Emissions, fuel economy and lastly performance are all major factors in a design.

PT Barnum said it best, a fool and his money are soon parted...

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
Sounds like I got a better deal than I thought. I bought the most optimized vehicle ever produced. I'm surprised all these aftermarket companies even bother to produce all their products for the 07 ml500. They are all wasting their time. Mercedes Benz closed all room for improvement
You would be wise to listen to drivbiwire. Technically, he is one of the two or three most knowledgeable people on this board. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You would be wise to listen to drivbiwire. Technically, he is one of the two or three most knowledgeable people on this board. :thumbsup:
Actually I can tell. He just isn't telling me what I wanted to hear. Lol. I come from the modification world Motorcycle roadracing. Motorcross. Quads karts. Anything that will go fast lol. I completely respect his advice but as long as alittle more aggressive sounding mufflers aren't going to hurt the engine. I'm going to have them installed. Again I meant no disrespect at all

·
Registered
29 Posts
You would be wise to listen to drivbiwire. Technically, he is one of the two or three most knowledgeable people on this board.

One can be knowledgeable without being a completely rude ASS!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You would be wise to listen to drivbiwire. Technically, he is one of the two or three most knowledgeable people on this board.

One can be knowledgeable without being a completely rude ASS!!!
I was just asking a question well so i thought . I think I bought an old mans car. Im not in the right forum for these types of questions apearently.

·
Registered
'16 GMC Canyon, '09 C300,'66 Mustang cnvrt-High Cntry Spl,'01 Mustng Cobr, Elec.golf car-35 MPH!
115 Posts
Holy Moly! The guy is just asking a couple of questions!

I am somewhat of the genre as bwscpu, in that I am an old (heavy on the old) drag racer, and former NHRA tech inspector. AND firm believer in the old adage: horsepower is like sex - too much is just about right!

Let us not flame or use profanity against each other just for asking and answering a question.

Have fun, Dave :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2004 clk55. 2011 ml63
18 Posts
The 5.0 and 5.5 liter benz motors can be modified for more HP/TQ but it cost bucks.

I have an 07ml500 and a heavily modified 04clk55 with a host of upgrades (ported/polished heads, cams, blower, exhaust, tune, etc..).

Modifying the 5.0 liter motor in n/a form is pretty common amoungst the youngsters in used clk500's...... typical mods include:

Kleemann Headers (15-20hp dep who you talk to)
AMS Headers (10hp est)
Delete 2ndary cats (5hp est)
Delete resonator (more for sound)
Cams (5-7hp in n/a form).... not worth it on a n/a car IMHO.
Blower.... 100-150hp..... now we're talking. Kleemann, Renntech, etc... are options.

To say the stock ml500 is optimized from the factory is correct.... however, optimized for what? a compromise between emmissions/noise/comfort/mpg yes..... performance.... probably not. Close but not totally optimized.

I've played with many brands of cars and bolt-ons and tuning..... and I do agree the MB leaves the least potential on the table when it comes to bolt-ons and a tune. And the price / hp is crazy high.

But if you're willing to go the blower/ported heads/exhaust route it get's interesting.

GL.

I've dreamed of having the power of my clk55-k (472rwhp/481rwtq) in my ml500.... but there is something about a factory tuned car that you just add gas and go.

GL>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts