Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
06 C230 Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to DIY transmission Fluid change on my 2006 C230 Sport
Seems like its transmission fluid dipstick tube is not present the way it is shown in most DIY guides.

I have attached the picture and pointed out the location which is filling tube (I guess). But it does not have some straight hole where level can be checked. Can someone confirm it please ???
OR is there any other way to change the transmission fluid.
I will appreciate your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004/5 W203
252 Posts
I think you'll find that the dip stick you can see is actually the Transmission one. You check Engine Oil using the Dash Display.

Hutcho

·
Registered
06 C230 Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The yellow one is for Engine Oil dipstick. The DIY guides show one with sealed cap for transmission but mine does not have it . The only thing which might be is covered with push cap.

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,796 Posts
So basically we fill Transmission oil from this hole after drain ???
If you have a seven speed transmission then the only way to fill it is to pump fluid up into the drain hole.
Search 722.9 transmission fluid change,here and on youtube.
The thing in your photo is possibly a breather vent.

·
Registered
06 C230 Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for reply. Does it mean this is not a DIY unless you have something to fill it up from bottom ? OR can that breathe hole be used for refill?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
First of all, that's not a breather for the transmission. The transmission breather vent/overflow is on top of it s housing, under the car. Doing a fluid and filter change can be a DIY. Check the W209 forum - we've had several threads there about the job. Some things you will need to consider:

You must have the facilities to lift the car evenly with enough room to work underneath. This can be done with a floor jack on the center jack points and then sturdy jack stands on the corners.

You need the proper tools, such as Torx sockets for the pan bolts, a large socket to rotate the engine by hand, Allen wrenches for the transmission drain pan and the torque converter drain, and a torque wrench. You'll also need an IT thermometer to measure pan temp, and an adapter to screw into the drain hole for filling. You can use any sort of fluid pump to fill. I bought an Assenmacher pump that came with the fill tube, but II know some who have bought just the fill tube and then used a cheap Harbor Freight fluid transfer pump.

·
Registered
06 C230 Sport
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rod
I appreciate taking time to reply in detail. I have almost everything except the filler adapter which I am gonna buy before start the job. The other thing I will need is instructions which I am gonna look for W209 forum. Thanks again for pointing me to right direction.
I searched a lot but most of them are with sealed filler tube kind. That is why I started thread.

Best Regards all of you for responding .

·
Registered
MY05 CLK55 AMG ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
1,796 Posts
Also look at W204 ,sticky,videos for those willing to have a go by Scott52.
Just for interest, the thing in the photo is a breather vent ? but not for the transmission. Is that correct?

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
It looks like a breather. Maybe it is the transmission breather with its black plastic cap broken off.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport
42 Posts
Tranny Breather

First of all, that's not a breather for the transmission. The transmission breather vent/overflow is on top of it s housing, under the car. Doing a fluid and filter change can be a DIY. Check the W209 forum - we've had several threads there about the job. Some things you will need to consider:

You must have the facilities to lift the car evenly with enough room to work underneath. This can be done with a floor jack on the center jack points and then sturdy jack stands on the corners.

You need the proper tools, such as Torx sockets for the pan bolts, a large socket to rotate the engine by hand, Allen wrenches for the transmission drain pan and the torque converter drain, and a torque wrench. You'll also need an IT thermometer to measure pan temp, and an adapter to screw into the drain hole for filling. You can use any sort of fluid pump to fill. I bought an Assenmacher pump that came with the fill tube, but II know some who have bought just the fill tube and then used a cheap Harbor Freight fluid transfer pump.
Rodney: You are correct. The tranny breather is located at the very top of the aluminium "Bellhousing" were it connects to the magnesium tranny body. It can only be accessed with the tranny removed. There is a tan colored plastic access cover at the two o'clock position which is for removing the torque converter bolts from the flex plate. The black plastic access cover on the bottom, of course, is to access the torque converter drain plug, very small plug. I know this because my tranny is sitting on my shop floor at the moment.

·
19,447 Posts
Yeah, I was looking under the hood of the SL yesterday and its engine sits far enough forward to clearly see it. The OP's is missing the black dust cap.

I don't think that oval cover access the torque converter bolts. On the 722.9, they are accessed from the same opening on the bottom where you get to the torque converter drain. Speaking of how small that drain is, here's a photo I snapped once:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think you'll find that the dip stick you can see is actually the Transmission one. You check Engine Oil using the Dash Display.

Hutcho
there is no dipstick filler tube for the automatic transmission it never had one never had one for 2006 and newer the dealer stated when you drain the automatic transmission fluid from the pan and change the filter there is a special tool they use and pump the fluid back up into the transmission through the drain plug there is a gauge connected they use to tell when it is at the proper level then they pinch it and tighten the drain plug

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am planning to DIY transmission Fluid change on my 2006 C230 Sport
Seems like its transmission fluid dipstick tube is not present the way it is shown in most DIY guides.

I have attached the picture and pointed out the location which is filling tube (I guess). But it does not have some straight hole where level can be checked. Can someone confirm it please ???
OR is there any other way to change the transmission fluid.
I will appreciate your help.
there is no filler tube for the 2006 2007 c230 sport there is a special tool with a pump that pumps the fluid back into the transmission through the drain plug so make sure you have this there is no other way to get the fluid back in directly quoted from the service manager at mercedes benz service at the dealer it takes over 1 hour to make sure it is at the correct level

·
Registered
48 Posts
they have to use the menu buttons on the steering wheel to see if it is at the correct level never guess this is a very sensitive transmission and prone to issues if not serviced properly even though mercedes states they are sealed for life wrong false statement to avoid issues they should be serviced every 3 years to avoid issues these transmissions are prone to issues if not serviced every 3 years i have owned mine since new i have it serviced at a transmission shop that work on mercedes transmissions

·
19,447 Posts
they have to use the menu buttons on the steering wheel to see if it is at the correct level never guess this is a very sensitive transmission and prone to issues if not serviced properly even though mercedes states they are sealed for life wrong false statement to avoid issues they should be serviced every 3 years to avoid issues these transmissions are prone to issues if not serviced every 3 years

Most of what you are saying is incorrect. First of all, there is no menu option on the MFD that will display the transmission fluid level. THe fluid level on the 722.9 7GTRONIC is checked from the drain plug at the specific temperature of 113F. You have to first over-fill it, and then observe the flow from the drain. A strong, steady stream is still overfilled. Once it slows to an unsteady drip, then it's at the right level and you close it up.

Mercedes sold the 722.6 5-speed as "sealed for life". They eventually issued a dealer-only bulletin that basically stated that "if" a customer was uncertain about that, it was acceptable to change the fluid and filter every 70K miles. The 722.9 was also initially sold as sealed for life, but very quickly that was revised to a one-time 39K mile change, and then later was revised to require changing EVERY 39K miles.

There is no difference in these transmissions and any other automatic transmission on the market that makes them more prone to failure when not properly services. With proper maintenance, they can last hundreds of thousands of miles. Without, they may also last hundreds of thousands of miles, but most likely will not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So basically we fill Transmission oil from this hole after drain ???
You are supposed to drain it from ths pan underneath. Trans fluid is then pumped into the pan with a machine, after you drop the pan, change the filter. This is pretty much how we do a trans service. If you must do it yourself, there is a dipstick tool you need. The cap comes off usually by breaking a tab off, then lifting the cap off. You can fill it with a funnel from the top. Roughly 3.8 qts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts