Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C230 sport Silver
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is not clear to me if the 7 speed Auto Transmission on requires fluid change. Does anyone know or can confirm since it is "sealed". If yes, what is the interval?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
the tranny isnt a sealed unit. all trannies have a way to change the fluid. I personally fell that any benz owner with a 7 speed tranny needs to change the fluid in the tranny at 15K mile intervals. I say that because of the way fluid looks after 15K miles. everyone that i have pulled the fluid is dark brown to black after 10-15K miles. but it has to be done at the dealer because of the way the fluid is added. there is a special machine we use to add the fluid at the pan and you have to monitor the fluid temp via DAS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The auto tranny fluid change needs to be done by the dealer. The dealer uses a special machine that will flush the system. Without this machine, you cannot change all of the tranny oil, as a simple drain of the tranny pan will only get about 1/3 of the tranny oil out. My 04 C230 (1.8) Sedan uses about 9 qts of tranny oil, but I was charged for 12 qts of tranny oil. There is some new oil that is wasted due to flushing out the old fluid.

It will get VERY expensive to change the tranny oil every 15K. The service averages about $300-500 at most dealerships. Each qt. of the synthetic tranny oil costs about $12-15.

MB recommends a tranny fluid change at 100K, but that will most likely end in doom for your MB motor. My dealer recommends changing the fluid every 60K, which I think is safe enough. I agree with Streetglower that ideally the service be done at 15K miles, however it would be too costly. I just changed my tranny fluid at 60,000 miles (2 months ago). The tranny was SIGNIFICANTLY smoother and shifted much quicker after the change, however 2 months and 6,000 miles later, the tranny already has lost the smoothness.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
XenonBenz said:
The auto tranny fluid change needs to be done by the dealer. The dealer uses a special machine that will flush the system. Without this machine, you cannot change all of the tranny oil, as a simple drain of the tranny pan will only get about 1/3 of the tranny oil out. My 04 C230 (1.8) Sedan uses about 9 qts of tranny oil, but I was charged for 12 qts of tranny oil. There is some new oil that is wasted due to flushing out the old fluid.

It will get VERY expensive to change the tranny oil every 15K. The service averages about $300-500 at most dealerships. Each qt. of the synthetic tranny oil costs about $12-15.

MB recommends a tranny fluid change at 100K, but that will most likely end in doom for your MB motor. My dealer recommends changing the fluid every 60K, which I think is safe enough. I agree with Streetglower that ideally the service be done at 15K miles, however it would be too costly. I just changed my tranny fluid at 60,000 miles (2 months ago). The tranny was SIGNIFICANTLY smoother and shifted much quicker after the change, however 2 months and 6,000 miles later, the tranny already has lost the smoothness.
the machine doesnt flush the tranny, its the actual way of adding the fluid. the fluid is added through the bottom of the pan.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport sedan
61 Posts
R. T. M. - it says 39K miles and then that's it.

Apparently, there is a special machine that is used to change the fluid, so DIY is probably not an option. I am toying with the idea myself, but may go to the dealer since it only a one-time change.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Just a thought, but many members suggest simply draining the pan and refilling every 15-20,000 miles, which will keep a continuous "dilution" level roughly equivalent to a complete change every few cycles. Then change the filter at every other drain/fill cycle.

The dealer flushes are indeed quite expensive, so the drain and fill is another alternative to going that route.

Either way, do something with it, don't just ignore it. That's the most expensive of all. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport sedan
61 Posts
I went to the Dealer today and got the 39K mile Transmission service per the maintenance schedule. Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. The fluid alone was $294. (9 quarts)

Anyway, it's done and the car seems to shift a little smoother, etc. I also hope this will prevent tranny issues "down the road".

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport sedan
61 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
would anyone have info in how to DIY tranny fluid change? i would love to learn and do it myself to save some $

any info would help. thanks

I did a post on this several months ago. With Pictures. It was for W202 but I imagine it would be similar.

Takes as much time to do a Tranny Oil Change than it does to do a Oil Change.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
In general it does work that way but from my understanding, some of the newer C230's have a different tranny and are not as simple. Probably too new so not that many have come into the dealerships for tranny fluid changes yet as MB does not recommend that tranny fluid ever be changed as it's way more profitable to sell a tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
2006 C230 Sport sedan
61 Posts
The maintenance schedule on the 2006 C-class has a tranny service at 39K miles. Probably a "Break-in" type of fluid and filter change. Then, there is no scheduled change after that.

When, I called the Dealer service dept, they said that a transmission service is not generally needed. I told them, the book says so. My only concern was that the service at 39K miles probably served a purpose at 150K+ miles, if you know what I mean . . .

I'm still scratching my head over the upcoming brake fluid change (flush) ???? Who ever changes their brake fluid? That one is definitely a DIY job.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor
105 Posts
heres what i did and it works really well to make it run smoother and get a little extra life if you don't have 300$ laying around i used a gift cert so this went a lot smoother for me :)

what you will need

1.the transmission dipstick (buy online liek 19$)
2.a few quarts MB fluid (like 2-3 quarts should do $36)
3.1 quart Lucas Transmission Fix (great stuff it reconditions the existing fluid $12.99)
4.a really cheap siphon pump from the auto store (mine was $4.99)

total $72.98

ok so siphon some fluid out of the car when its a little warm (not too warm) and then add the same amount of fluid in make sure to take enough out for the fluid u got + the trany fix (may take a few times as you can maybe get 1-2 quarts out at a time run the engine a few minutes inbetween each one)

add all the fluid back to the right level including tranny fix (tranny fix takes foorrrreeevvveeerrr to add as its pretty thick and the hole is small)

afterward WOW what a difference

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,974 Posts
The main issue with replacing transmission fluid is using the OEM dipstick and an infrared thermometer. The critical issue is filling to the proper level given he tranny's operating temperature. An over or under fill by as little as a few ounces can make a huge difference in the transmission longevity. Also, without specialized equipment to tap into the transmission cooling lines, you will not be able to replace more than about half the fluid due to the capacity of the torque converter. The thought on that is that MBZ used to recommend "no maintenance", so being able to change half the fluid plus the filter every 60K is better than that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
heres what i did and it works really well to make it run smoother and get a little extra life if you don't have 300$ laying around i used a gift cert so this went a lot smoother for me :)

what you will need

1.the transmission dipstick (buy online liek 19$)
2.a few quarts MB fluid (like 2-3 quarts should do $36)
3.1 quart Lucas Transmission Fix (great stuff it reconditions the existing fluid $12.99)
4.a really cheap siphon pump from the auto store (mine was $4.99)

total $72.98

ok so siphon some fluid out of the car when its a little warm (not too warm) and then add the same amount of fluid in make sure to take enough out for the fluid u got + the trany fix (may take a few times as you can maybe get 1-2 quarts out at a time run the engine a few minutes inbetween each one)

add all the fluid back to the right level including tranny fix (tranny fix takes foorrrreeevvveeerrr to add as its pretty thick and the hole is small)

afterward WOW what a difference
Crehop,

Thank you so much for this info. Can you please point me to the place where you bought all the stuff that you mentioned above. Is it online?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor
105 Posts
got the dipstick on ebay and the fluid at the MB dealership. everything else was the local auto parts store for me its Kragen (checkers) but any auto store should do Pep boys/autozone etc it takes a bit to get the fluid level right you will want to drive it liek 30 minutes after so the trannys nice and hot and then test for max level hot on the dipstick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.