Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 S430 Base Model
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! :)

About a yr ago I was driving and all of a sudden the COMAND said "SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE" and hadn't worked since. I also noticed at the same time the battery would go from a full complete charge to completely dead overnight.... not sure if this is related or coincidence.

I purchased a new battery, died. I just took it into a local shop to find out why. I told them my car battery had a drain somewhere. $150 and an hour later I got a call "Something is draining your battery"... yea I know. They said it would take 3-4 hours to find out exactly why @ $150 an hour. Nah I was good.

I did some searching online and found a Fiber Optic Loop (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31kdxUG5UGL._AC_.jpg) and unplugged the Nav and plugged the loop into the Nav... nothing. I put it back the way it was. I then did the same thing with the CD changer. IT WORKED!!! I COULD HEAR AUDIO!!

Everything was working great! I put the car back together, started it.... COMAND "SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE" again.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong or skipping a step? Thank you guys so much :)

·
Registered
2005 S430 Base Model
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dump the command system and get a modern. Android unit that matches the w220 opening as discussed in the sticky threads
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it :)
To be honest... I really don't care about changing it out right now. I was quoted around $2000 total for android head/replace, wood trim around COMAND has to be replaced with black, install labor, and being able to use same amp and speakers.
That being said, after I find out where the power drain is coming from and why this COMAND isn't working (just interested) I'll throw out the COMAND and do the swap.

It really sucks not having a working stereo anymore but right now I'd rather just be able to drive the car or start it without having to jump it.. even after sitting just 15 mins.

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
2005 S600
810 Posts
CD changer and Navigation DVD failing to shut down are a common source of heavy battery drain.

Reactions: Dave2302

·
W220 Moderator
8,034 Posts
I was quoted around $2000 total for android head/replace, wood trim around COMAND has to be replaced with black, install labor, and being able to use same amp and speakers.
That is exactly how not to do it !!

We have an Android sticky that discusses all aspects of Android Conversions ;)

And no, you use a new wood trim that comes with Erisin and XTrons Factory Look Androids
This one is my own W220, has been in 4 years now, ERISIN brand ....

It also has all the options you can get including USB Data / Charge Socket in Armrest Box, (easy to add new media), Reverse Camera, TPMS, Navigation, Bluetooth full Hands Free, and Internet Dongle as well, plus also the Seat Headrests have DVD Players for rear seat passengers with IR Headphones, also they can be used independently or watch same film / game, they can also watch what's on the H/U (DVB-TV or DVD ;)

Whole lot cost me less than a grand with all those options, plus 4 new Door Speakers and a 100W Amp to power the factory Sub ..............

Yep I did the install labour myself ;)

HTH :)

Reactions: ianrandom

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,172 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it :)
To be honest... I really don't care about changing it out right now. I was quoted around $2000 total for android head/replace, wood trim around COMAND has to be replaced with black, install labor, and being able to use same amp and speakers.
That being said, after I find out where the power drain is coming from and why this COMAND isn't working (just interested) I'll throw out the COMAND and do the swap.

It really sucks not having a working stereo anymore but right now I'd rather just be able to drive the car or start it without having to jump it.. even after sitting just 15 mins.

You dismissed this before reading the sticky thread . There are vehicle specific w220 Android replacements that include the wood trim and they also sell a cable to run from the radio to plug directly into the factory amp . It is all custom for the w220 So install would cost the same as any normal radio

and once you remove all the command stuff it should also solve your battery drain

·
Registered
2005 S430 Base Model
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CD changer and Navigation DVD failing to shut down are a common source of heavy battery drain.
Do you think if I get a loop to bypass the NAV and CD?
Also, will COMAND just shut down if there isn't a CD in the Nav?

·
Registered
2005 S600
810 Posts
I honestly don't know the answers to your questions. My COMAND system is complete and intact. I have read many posts on the Nav and CD system causing battery drain when they don't shut down properly. I have no idea what happens if you bypass them, but I would think that you need to disconnect their power as well to prevent the battery drain.

While I'm happy that my COMAND is working, as it keeps the car original, the new Android installs that folks have done are very nice. Much better tech. In your situation, I would look into that. Start with the sticky, read a couple of threads, you might decide that the cost/benefit is in your favor.

·
Registered
2003 S500
3,024 Posts
My 2003 S500 uses the earlier D2B fiber optic ring, so I am more familiar with it. Your car has the later MOST fiber optic system, but my understanding is that it operates similarly to the earlier system in many ways. As a result, I believe that yes, you can use your fiber optic bypass loop to bypass either or both (two loops) of the NAV and CD changer units.

The earlier system uses NAV CDs (nine of them for the USA) inserted directly into COMAND for navigation, and COMAND doesn't care whether or not you are using the NAV disc or system. Your car has a separate NAV unit in the left rear fender well with one DVD "permanently" inserted into the NAV unit. I have no real knowledge of whether or not the COMAND system will work without the NAV DVD inserted, but I would be willing to bet that it will work fine - except, obviously, for the navigation system.

I also suspect, as do others, that your problems are due to pressure-washing the engine bay. Mercedes did not really do a very good job of weather-proofing or water-proofing the electrics and electronics on the W220 series.

·
W220 Moderator
8,034 Posts
I would think that you need to disconnect their power as well to prevent the battery drain.
I would be willing to bet that it will work fine - except, obviously, for the navigation system.

I also suspect, as do others, that your problems are due to pressure-washing the engine bay.
/\ /\ /\ Exactly these (y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
2005 S600
810 Posts
Pressure washing the engine bay? I had a whole host of issues immediately after washing it with low pressure water, including an engine misfire that ultimately resulting in a coil pack replacement (close to $1,000 on my engine).

While correlation is not causality, I’ve never washed the engine again. No way I’m taking that chance.

Reactions: doni01 and Dave2302

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,223 Posts
I also suspect, as do others, that your problems are due to pressure-washing the engine bay. Mercedes did not really do a very good job of weather-proofing or water-proofing the electrics and electronics on the W220 series.
I missed the part where he says he washed the engine....

·
Registered
S320 1999
26 Posts
I have owned five MB cars during1997-present,and I´ve always washed the engine once or twice a year.No problems,ever.
Just using common sense,and covering the parts you think might be vulnerable,it should be ok.Don´t use high water pressure,especially with W220.A gentle shower is fine.Using brake cleaner or whatever degreaser and compressed air is a way to go,too.I get so much pleasure watching my clean and oil-free engine.
"He likes to keep his engine clean,it´s a clean machine" :) (Penny Lane)

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005, S550 4Matic 2013
1,223 Posts
I have owned five MB cars during1997-present,and I´ve always washed the engine once or twice a year.No problems,ever.
Just using common sense,and covering the parts you think might be vulnerable,it should be ok.Don´t use high water pressure,especially with W220.A gentle shower is fine.Using brake cleaner or whatever degreaser and compressed air is a way to go,too.I get so much pleasure watching my clean and oil-free engine.
"He likes to keep his engine clean,it´s a clean machine" :) (Penny Lane)
I do the same and knock on wood no problems yet but if his problem occurred after the engine wash, then washing the engine may be the problem.

·
Registered
Too many to list
10,172 Posts
If you have a filthy engine that’s never been cleaned it may need an initial water wash but after that , A light spray from a can of tire foam and a microfiber towel once a year is all that’s needed . It protects the rubber too

·
Registered
S320 1999
26 Posts
If you have a filthy engine that’s never been cleaned it may need an initial water wash but after that , A light spray from a can of tire foam and a microfiber towel once a year is all that’s needed . It protects the rubber too
So true.

·
W220 Moderator
8,034 Posts
This thread beggars belief :ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna be blunt ......................

Anyone who mixes even low pressure water, (like even a drippy wet rag) and electronics should not really be allowed to open the Bonnet of their Car .......................

Start with a warm as opposed to hot / cold (circa 50c) Engine.

Their are proprietary cleaners that will remove Oils etc, like Brake Cleaner / Paraffin in a sprayer, wooden stick if heavy soiled to scrape all the greasy :poop: off first, and compressed air to blow the area with solvent ;)

If it is not solvent soluble, i.e. muddy /dusty / coolant deposits etc, and then use a damp and well "rung out" rag.

WD40 is useful to dampen a rag with, for polishing up plastics such as Air Boxes etc.

HTH :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts