Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says.

Im looking for the biggest tire size I can run on my factory 18" wheels without a lift but still retain my factory rear tire cover.

I hear 33s would work but might make contact. I'm not opposed to running spacers if needed.

Anyone with pictures of 33s or whatever they have experienced, that would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
I fit 33" BFG KO2s (285/76R16) on mine. Your wheels are different, but I think they should actually have more room due to different backspacing:
On mine I had to slightly restrict steering angle to keep it from rubbing at full steering lock. With the lower ET (50 vs. 63) your tires are moved out by 13mm, or about 1/2". You may get away without any rubbing. If, there is rubbing on the fender liner, you can heat it up with a hot air gun and mold the softened plastic out of the way.
Handy resource: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html
I've got #8 and I think you have #16.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fit 33" BFG KO2s (285/76R16) on mine. Your wheels are different, but I think they should actually have more room due to different backspacing:
On mine I had to slightly restrict steering angle to keep it from rubbing at full steering lock. With the lower ET (50 vs. 63) your tires are moved out by 13mm, or about 1/2". You may get away without any rubbing. If, there is rubbing on the fender liner, you can heat it up with a hot air gun and mold the softened plastic out of the way.
Handy resource: http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html
I've got #8 and I think you have #16.
Do 33s fit under the stock rear tire cover?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
No idea. A much better solution is the tire storage system offered here:
It looks good and allows you to store nasty/dirty stuff outside the vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do 33s fit under the stock rear tire cover?
alas no. You can get the chrome ring around it and with some mods you might even get the clasp to lock but the the centre piece of the cover is too small to reach the lip of the chrome ring which is what holds it in.

my 33” goes on the roof when overlanding,I keep a stock wheel and tyre in the carrier for appearances.... I just have a puncture repair kit for day to day driving- no 33” spare.

like was said, the wheel offset is key for fitting 33”. With a 2” lift my +63 offset wheels rubbed on the idler? arm at full lock. Switched to +43 g55 wheels and no running at all.

2012 G350BT (Australia)

·
Registered
'94 E500 (sold), '05 S55, '08 G55
38 Posts
The stock set-up is 30". That is for both the G55 wheels (9.5" width; 50 offset; running 285/55 tires) and the spare (7.5" width; 43 offset; running 265/60 tires). And clearly the spare fits inside the rear tire cover. My guess is that a 31" tire would fit as well. Options there would be a 275/60 tire (2.14% larger diameter than stock) or a 285/60 tire (3.7% larger diameter than stock).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts