Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a E320CDi with 53K miles on it. Considering buying but it has some high miles. Is it something to consider if I have all the service records and there is no negative car fax?

Would it be prudent to get the extended 2year CPO if I can get the dealer to do it?

I would have to keep it long term. I only drive 10-12K per year max.

It is a base model with sunroof and heated seats. Looks in great condition.

Seeking advice

T!A
 

·
Registered
2006 E500W4
Joined
·
168 Posts
If the price reflects the extra-miles, I would consider it. All long term test drive from car magazines show that engines are more performant after 40K miles. Mercedes diesels are known for their endurance. CPO prices tend to be quite high compared to actual market value, so do your home work. Websites like New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site or New car prices, used car pricing, auto reviews by Edmunds car buying guide will give you a good understanding of market value. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
2005 E320 Sedan
Joined
·
411 Posts
An 05 with 53K miles means it's been mostly driven highway - a good sign. I wouldn't worry about the miles considering the number of diesels running around with a quarter million miles on them (and more).

*I'd* be more concerned about paint chips on the hood and bumper! :)
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Joined
·
1,476 Posts
With only 53,000 on the odo this engine is not even broken in yet...Typcially it takes between 60-80K to reach peak compression pressures (ring sealing efficiency).

05 was a good year for the CDI, CDI3 injection system...nearly identical to the Bluetec system aside from the change from I-6 to V6 block configuration.

Below is a picture of a 2005 E320 CDI odometer...just in case you think 53K is high mileage :D

DB
 

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 C230
Joined
·
106 Posts
Its all about the deal.

Hi-
I think what it boils down to is how much the dealer is asking. If the price is good, I would consider it but just remember that there are thousands of other E Classes out there that you can check out.

As far as the extended warranty goes, I think you should try to have the dealer include it in the deal for two reasons. Firstly, the factory warranty has already expired (4 yrs, 50,000 mile, in your case, the miles came first) Secondly, if something should go wrong with the car between 53,000 miles and 100,000 miles, it will be paid for if you have the extended warranty. Remember that no matter how many years you buy of extended warranty, the warranty will expire when the car reaches 100,000 miles. In other words, if you expect you will have 100,000 miles on the car within one year, you only need one year of warrenty, and not two. However if you don't plan on driving it that often, get two years.

Just remember not to fall in love with a car until you sign the dotted line. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
go for it!

I bought mine when it was 2 years old and had 23k miles. Would not change a thing! Love the car, love the diesel mileage! It probably is not prewired for bluetooth, but you can fix that for $40 on the internet. Good kuck
 

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
migliuolo said:
I bought mine when it was 2 years old and had 23k miles. Would not change a thing! Love the car, love the diesel mileage! It probably is not prewired for bluetooth, but you can fix that for $40 on the internet. Good kuck
You are right, it is not pre wired so how do you fix that for $40.00
 

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SIC said:
Hi-


As far as the extended warranty goes, I think you should try to have the dealer include it in the deal for two reasons. Firstly, the factory warranty has already expired (4 yrs, 50,000 mile, in your case, the miles came first) Secondly, if something should go wrong with the car between 53,000 miles and 100,000 miles, it will be paid for if you have the extended warranty. Remember that no matter how many years you buy of extended warranty, the warranty will expire when the car reaches 100,000 miles. In other words, if you expect you will have 100,000 miles on the car within one year, you only need one year of warrenty, and not two. However if you don't plan on driving it that often, get two years.

Just remember not to fall in love with a car until you sign the dotted line. ;)
Would get the car with the 3 year CPO which the dealer says it qualifies for. I only drive about 12K a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
jmel777 said:
You are right, it is not pre wired so how do you fix that for $40.00
I purchased a bluetooth handsfree kit that hangs on the visor above my head. Works just fine. By the way, when I purchased my car, I convinced the dealer to give me a total 5yr/100k warranty.
 

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought it, with the MB 3 year CPO, man I like this car. Thanks to all for your advise.
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
Joined
·
239 Posts
jmel777 said:
I bought it, with the MB 3 year CPO, man I like this car. Thanks to all for your advise.
Congratulations. You're going to love it. These are great cars.
 

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK one question
Obviously, it drives very different from the BMW I had. One issue I was wondering about is the tires. Mine has the standard 16" wheels with the 225/55/16 profile tires. I was thinking that the tall sidewall flex might be the cause of slightly imprecise turning on curves at highway speeds.

Would moving to a 17" wheel take care of this and going to a high performance all season. The car came with new Turanza's which are generally a decent grand touring tire.

I know the car weighs more, and might not have the same kind of sway bars and suspension and that is also part of the issue, also I am sure I have a bit of a learning curve to retrain my self on the new dynamics.

Just wondering. Don't get me wrong, this car is the bomb! Just trying to understand it better.

By the way, just got back from the UK on a business trip and saw CDI's in every flavor imaginable including S class. Really cool. And many of them are de-badged. Looked rather nice that way.

Thanks to all for your advice.
 

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI
Joined
·
239 Posts
The CDI is a cushier car than the BMW, so its handling and feel are going to be different. Changing to 17's will firm it up a bit, but probably not appreciably. You'd probably need to go all out with different suspension bits to get what you want, but, you'll lose the comfort. It is all a trade off.
 

·
Registered
2014 E350 4Matic Sport
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jmel777 said:
I bought it, with the MB 3 year CPO, man I like this car. Thanks to all for your advise.
Got it but I really do not thing I would do much more than tires. Lowered my C230K and lost a lot of ride comfort. Looked cool and really cornered better but roughed up the ride too much. Maybe when the tires wear out will move to 17s for summer and a bit stiffer side wall for summer and then keep the 16s for snows.

Are there good brands of 17s that are also light weight around 19 lbs. Something that is strong but will not add to the unsprung weight to much? Do you have to stay with MB wheels? Are there good after market ones that look good on an MB.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I put 18" take-offs from a 2005 E55 onto my CDI and it completely changed the responsiveness and road feel. Drives much more like my old 528 sport.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top