Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

The code I used to get into engineering mode on my 2004 S430 with DVD/MP3 comand was

mute+1+3+9+left arrow

This put me in the main menu. the *#arrow did not unhide the other menus.

Does anyone have a code that worked for the secon set of menus?

·
Registered
362 Posts
You have a US spec W220, thus with US spec DVD comand... and these units will NOT be able to play DVD while in motion. They can integrate with Sirius SAT radio, though.

The Euro spec DVD comand for the W220 does have DVD playback (even while in motion), but can't integrate with Sirius.

greetingz,

BigSis

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigSis said:
You have a US spec W220, thus with US spec DVD comand... and these units will NOT be able to play DVD while in motion. They can integrate with Sirius SAT radio, though.

The Euro spec DVD comand for the W220 does have DVD playback (even while in motion), but can't integrate with Sirius.

greetingz,

BigSis
You sure about that?
There are a lot of folks on here that have gotten into their comand units via engineering mode and activated this option an have video while driving. Are you ssaying that even if I get to the hidden "Drdist" menu and uncheck all of the items my video still won't work? this is contrary to many other posts.. please clarify.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2015 S550
11,233 Posts
Big Sis can handle the reply to this quite ably - but she is correct. US spec COMANDS do not have the circuitry to decode DVD video. While folks have gotten into the engineering menus, it won't give DVD video while driving or stationary. The equipment can decode the audio tracks only.

The folks who have DVD video have either installed European spec COMANDS (which is often done by Steve of MBENZNL, Big Sis' brother), or they have added external equipment to their US spec COMANDS that allows DVD playback. There are several options for this in some COMANDs.

If you watch carefully, I believe you will see that the folks who are able to simply change codes through the engineering menu to enable DVD video do not live in the U.S., or have done the euro spec retrofit.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skylaw said:
Big Sis can handle the reply to this quite ably - but she is correct. US spec COMANDS do not have the circuitry to decode DVD video. While folks have gotten into the engineering menus, it won't give DVD video while driving or stationary. The equipment can decode the audio tracks only.

The folks who have DVD video have either installed European spec COMANDS (which is often done by Steve of MBENZNL, Big Sis' brother), or they have added external equipment to their US spec COMANDS that allows DVD playback. There are several options for this in some COMANDs.

If you watch carefully, I believe you will sees that the folks who are able to simply change codes through the engineering menu to enable DVD video do not live in the U.S., or have done the euro spec retrofit.
Ahh Okay, So now I understand.... I was just a bit confused about the Specs and adaptations that's all..

Well.. At least I'm glad I can do a 4.7 gig MP3 DVD which eliminates the need for me to install an Ipod kit in this car....http://www.benzworld.org/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2015 S550
11,233 Posts
Indeed, you can - as have I. Some things to look out for - if your music is stored in various formats on your computer, you cannot simply burn it to disc and get it to play successfully. The DVD player does not handle changes of format on one disc very well. I know it will handle AIFF and mp3 (as well as commercial DVD audio tracks, so you can play the sound tracks of music DVDs with superb audio quality) - but not necessarily as a mix.

I handled it by creating a duplicate of my iTunes library, and converting all of the music to mp3, then burned it to DVD. The advantage is, my 30 GB (original format) music library is now on 2 DVDs. The disadvantage is, there is some loss of audio quality. When I had my iPod integrated in my '00, there was no quality loss because the iPod would play back the higher quality formats. However, as of now, there is no hard-wired way to integrate an iPod with COMAND in my '05 W220, because it completely lacks an aux input of any kind.

However, the DVD burning process saves us, though it can be laborious - so I burn music library updates to CDs, play them in the changer, and only periodically burn new DVDs.

I have not tried mixing only AIFF and mp3 files on a DVD; when I tried it, I also had Apple Lossless, unprotected AAC, WAV, and some other files intermixed. A few songs would play, but then the player wouldn't read.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.