Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL 500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2004 SL500. It uses the CD based Navigation system, and not the DVD based newer unit. It also looks like COMAND is pre-wired for satellite radio, but none is installed.

Question #1: Is it possible to "easily" replace the COMAND unit for a newer 2005+ DVD based unit w/satellite radio included?

Question #2: If #1 is not easily doable, how hard (and about how much) would it be to add a Sirius or XM satellite radio to the existing COMAND system?

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided.

Ron

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
rambler358 said:
I recently purchased a 2004 SL500. It uses the CD based Navigation system, and not the DVD based newer unit. It also looks like COMAND is pre-wired for satellite radio, but none is installed.

Question #1: Is it possible to "easily" replace the COMAND unit for a newer 2005+ DVD based unit w/satellite radio included?

Question #2: If #1 is not easily doable, how hard (and about how much) would it be to add a Sirius or XM satellite radio to the existing COMAND system?

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided.

Ron
Question #1. No. the newer cars used a different BUS than your car so it is not possible unless you want to spend thousands on a major retrofit..

Question #2. absolutely. Adding sirius is as simple as putting in a module, adding an antenna, and doing a little cable switching with the bus. You also have to get it version coded at the dealer once the install is complete. The dealer can do this for you for 5 to 800 somewhere around there if you are technically challenged.

·
Registered
2004 SL 500
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My04230k said:
Question #1. No. the newer cars used a different BUS than your car so it is not possible unless you want to spend thousands on a major retrofit..

Question #2. absolutely. Adding sirius is as simple as putting in a module, adding an antenna, and doing a little cable switching with the bus. You also have to get it version coded at the dealer once the install is complete. The dealer can do this for you for 5 to 800 somewhere around there if you are technically challenged.
Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can talk my sales guy into getting and installing it at cost for me. Is Sirius or XM more expensive than the other, or are they the same price? I'd prefer Sirius if I have a choice available.

Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
My Benz: 04 S430
1,219 Posts
rambler358 said:
Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can talk my sales guy into getting and installing it at cost for me. Is Sirius or XM more expensive than the other, or are they the same price? I'd prefer Sirius if I have a choice available.

Regards,
Ron
MB only offers Sirius as a factory integration so you are in luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts