Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on startup, i think on cold starts only.. i get a clanking noise from the motor bay. it eventually goes away. no clue what this noise is. thoughts??

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,160 Posts
Sometimes I get one "clank" when I start the engine. It sounds like a single tap of a hammer on a metal drum. My truck also makes a very similar sound after it cools down, sort of like a gas can adjusting to a pressure change. I have no clue what it is, but it's done it for years with no other adverse symptoms.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2001 ML-320
33 Posts
Spoke to the SA today and he says that it is "NOT necessarily normal". I will update you as soon as I get the results back fromt he techs...to be continued

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
davesml320 - 3/22/2005 3:41 PM

Spoke to the SA today and he says that it is "NOT necessarily normal". I will update you as soon as I get the results back fromt he techs...to be continued
thanks, let me know.

·
Registered
2001 ML-320
33 Posts
Absolutely not normal..If your ML is still under warranty..definitley take it in. Do not take no for an answer. This is a known issue per the SA and tech esp with the V8's.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 ML-320
33 Posts
The Mechanic told me that the ML500 on up are notorious for the valve clank that you are describing.The ML 6 cilinders are not so noticable but it does happen them also.
The fix is to get it in under warranty and have the techs check for damage along the walls of the valve seats or camshaft.
How often does it happen to you?
If you can reproduce it in front of the mechanic they WILL check it out for you.

They could not reproduce the clank that I had but he said to bring it in if I hear it getting worse.

Dave

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh whoa! thanks for letting me know. but it only seems to happen on cold start up. the initial start in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts