Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
07 SL55 AMG Designo White 2011 ML63 AMG Designo White
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First let me start by saying that this Mercedes is the finest automobile for the money that I have ever driven and I have driven them all...........so I have the tire pressure monitoring system and it worked fine until 2 weeks ago when the display said there was a malfunction and to "drive to workshop". I had never seen this message so I took it to Mercedes of Buckhead the next day. They hooked it up to the computer and fond some other problems as well as a bad sensor in the front drive side wheel. The technition replaced the xenon bulb and ignitor and the driver side and reset the TPMS system and said to drive it a few miles and it should restart correctly. Well 3 days later the system still showed a malfunction. It became very annoying because it locket out the steering wheel controls(found out later to hit the R button). Took it back on Tuesday and a new technition decided to replace the sensor altogher. Took it back on Thursday to have it replaced and was told to drive a few miles for it to activate......well after driving about 5 miles it activated and said there is a problem with the TPMS and to drive to workshop.......geeesh! So I will take it back again but was wondering if anyone out there is familiar with the system or has encountered a similar problem. The car is still under warranty for another year so cost is not an issue......it is that I pamper this car like my first born(on the way) and it drives me crazy to see a malfuntion in the dash!

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
first things first, tell the technician to drive the car after the repair to make sure its fixed. for them to tell you to drive the car to activate it is there job. I have had countless numbers of cars that I have done repairs to that I have driven 30 miles and the TPS malfunction comes back up. the TPC on the s and cl are a crappy system on the earlier cars 01-05 somewhere in there. always have problems. but the tech should be driving the car to verify the repair.

·
Registered
now 2003 CL600. And wishing I kept all the ones I sold.
21 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 04 CL55.

I bought the car last month and when the car was first started it displayed the same warning. I told the salesman it needed to be looked at and he brought a technician to check it out. They of course hit the reset button so the warning disappeared. They said it was fine.

For the next 3 weeks almost every time I started the car the warning light came on. I called the dealer (MB of Calabasas) and he told me that it is normal and it reflects that the tire pressure is cold in the morning and therefore it reads low. I then asked him if he thought all his customers were that stupid to believe that explanation. He mumbled and I hung up the phone.

I then decided to not take my car to them any more. So, now every few days the warning comes on and I reset it. If you figure out what is wrong, let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
Papadelta said:

I bought the car last month and when the car was first started it displayed the same warning. I told the salesman it needed to be looked at and he brought a technician to check it out. They of course hit the reset button so the warning disappeared. They said it was fine.

For the next 3 weeks almost every time I started the car the warning light came on. I called the dealer (MB of Calabasas) and he told me that it is normal and it reflects that the tire pressure is cold in the morning and therefore it reads low. I then asked him if he thought all his customers were that stupid to believe that explanation. He mumbled and I hung up the phone.

I then decided to not take my car to them any more. So, now every few days the warning comes on and I reset it. If you figure out what is wrong, let me know.

Thanks.
that tech is a retard. if the warning comes on for too low or too high pressure, the pressure difference has to be alot. if the normal is 32 psi, if at morning time its a 28 psi and when hot at 35 psi, the warning wont come on. every s class and cl i have looked at either recieved a new control unit or new wheel pressure sensors. its all too common

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Papadelta said:

Thanks.

Mercedes of Buckhead tech manager stated yesterday that they are having many problems with the TPMS on all new benz's and they have received a new computer system that was designed to diagnose the TPMS........before all they could do was tell is the rfid wheel sensor was sending information or not........so they picked my car up from my house this morning and I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the right wheel sensor was bad as well......so all in all they replaced the left front and right rear sensors......problem solved!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts