Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

04 500 Oil leak near transmission housing

467 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  [500User]
I purchased it about 6 months ago and it has 146k miles. The valve cover is starting to seep. Is it the rear main seal?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive wheel system Automotive fuel system
Gas Auto part Metal Close-up Automotive fuel system
See less
I purchased it about 6 months ago and it has 146k miles. The valve cover is starting to seep. Is it the rear main seal?
See more
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,629 Posts
I would suggest first of all , fix any oil leaks up top , such as valve cover gaskets and breather cover sealing.
Also check the oil cooler and oil filter housing for leaks at the front of the engine and also the dipstick tube gasket.
Then clean off the underside , and check it again after a couple of days to see if and where any oil is coming from.
Rear main seal is something you only want to do if it is really bad , and all other leaks have been eliminated.
Rear main seals quite often leak on these engines , but in many cases are not bad enough to justify the expense of fixing.

· Registered
17 Posts
Mine was exactly the same. All the visible oil was low down so not coming from the top. Using brake cleaner aerosol I cleaned it all off, removed the rubber covers and sprayed inside the bell housing to wash any oil out of there. After a few weeks I checked it and it was still clean. The lesson is that a tiny amount of oil makes a big mess. A few spots over a long period spreads all over.

· Banned
2005 Mercedes CLK320 2008 Mercedes E550 2014 Mercedes E63 AMG
1,183 Posts
I had a similar mess on mine. The valve covers will leak and find their way to the lowest point as will the oil fill extension seal. I also replaced my oil level sensor as oil was bleeding through the unit and out the connector. No rear main seal leak - mine is dry.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would suggest first of all , fix any oil leaks up top , such as valve cover gaskets and breather cover sealing.
Also check the oil cooler and oil filter housing for leaks at the front of the engine and also the dipstick tube gasket.
Then clean off the underside , and check it again after a couple of days to see if and where any oil is coming from.
Rear main seal is something you only want to do if it is really bad , and all other leaks have been eliminated.
Rear main seals quite often leak on these engines , but in many cases are not bad enough to justify the expense of fixing.
thank you I will start off with these repairs you suggested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts