Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 300SE (Mitzi); 2003 CLK 430 cabrio (Clifford)
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loving the new user experience on the forum facelift--so kudos to whomever is responsible.

My CLK430 has a very lazy trunk lid, and I can't determine what the problem is because I don't know how it's supposed to work. Whether I use the remote button or push the trunk lid button, I hear a click, and the trunk lid pops up maybe a quarter inch--but that's it. I have to use a fair amount of lifting force to get it open. In the reverse direction, there's seemingly no assist, and when the (very well-constructed and complicated) trunk lid passes about 60 degrees from vertical full open position, and I let go of it, it will simply slam shut.

I suspect this is not "functions as designed." So what I'd love to know is: On the cabriolet, how is this mechanism supposed to work, and what is generally the problem(s) when it doesn't? The There are no springs on this trunk lid; only what look to be a hydraulic piston on either side. Is it simply a matter of replacing those bad boys? If so, does anyone have a part number?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
360 Posts
I'm loving the new user experience on the forum facelift--so kudos to whomever is responsible.

My CLK430 has a very lazy trunk lid, and I can't determine what the problem is because I don't know how it's supposed to work. Whether I use the remote button or push the trunk lid button, I hear a click, and the trunk lid pops up maybe a quarter inch--but that's it. I have to use a fair amount of lifting force to get it open. In the reverse direction, there's seemingly no assist, and when the (very well-constructed and complicated) trunk lid passes about 60 degrees from vertical full open position, and I let go of it, it will simply slam shut.

I suspect this is not "functions as designed." So what I'd love to know is: On the cabriolet, how is this mechanism supposed to work, and what is generally the problem(s) when it doesn't? The There are no springs on this trunk lid; only what look to be a hydraulic piston on either side. Is it simply a matter of replacing those bad boys? If so, does anyone have a part number?

Thanks much!
Hi there.

On the convertible the boot lid unlocks, but does not raise (this only happens on the coupe). This is something to do with preventing damage to the trunk lid or hood cover (can't remember what the blurb says in the manual).

It does sound as though you've found the problem. The hydraulic pistons are probably a little tired and need replacing.

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
360 Posts
I just re-read your post Strassenkreuzer, I'm not sure if mine does exactly the same thing....hmmm.

I'm away from home, so can't check, but maybe someone else will check for you. But it may actually be working as designed after all?

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I don't get it, either. @W208 Hawkwind. It might be a combination of the gizmo that pushes the trunk lid up--as well as weak hydraulic pistons. But I can't know because the owner's manual doesn't even mention the gizmo; it mentions only how to open it (using the fob or the lid button), and how to close it by "placing two hands firmly on the trunk lid." That can't happen with mine because of the way it currently works since there's absolutely no resistance that softens the blow of it crashing into the closed position if I let go of it after I move it past about 45 degrees from the fully open position (which is vertical).

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
360 Posts
I get home on the 12th, so I'm gonna take a look at mine.

It's just one of those things you take for granted, until someone questions it. Now I'm really curious!:unsure:

·
Registered
1999 W208 CLK320
360 Posts
Hi Strassenkreuzer, finally made it home and on investigation, my trunk lid does exactly the same thing.

As stated in my 1st post, the trunk lid should not raise the same as the coupe, so that is definitely OK.

Inside the trunk lid, there is a small black plastic handle for closing the trunk. This is so if the trunk lid is dirty, you don't need to touch it and get dirt on your hands (in winter especially, the rear end of the car can get filthy). So I think the operation of your trunk lid is normal and as designed. After it closes beyond a certain point, it is 'self closing'.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@W208 Hawkwind, thanks for the update. You're correct in that the trunk lid does not open like the coupe (the cabrio has a far more complex hinging mechanism).

Turns out that it was in fact the struts. When I bought the car in 2015 they were already shot, but I didn't know what I didn't know: That the struts were designed to ease the opening and provide resistance on the closing.

After replacing them--which took all of about 15 minutes--I was amazed by what I had been missing since the day I bought it: When I push the button or open the trunk with the fob, the lid is pushed up a full inch by the gizmo in the lid, and then lifting it is easy since the struts assist. Then, on the downside, you can--as you mention--either pull with the plastic handle or put your hands on the trunk lid itself to push it past its resistance point and close it.

For once, a simple and inexpensive fix on a Benz. <snoopy dance>

Thanks to all for weighing in. If you have a 208 cabrio, simply replace the struts. Two for about $50. Done. </snoopy dance>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts