Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'85 380SL, '99 SL500, '03 SL500, '91 Alfa Spider, '06 Porsche 911 C2S
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done extensive searching and can't find anyone else who has had this issue, so please excuse me if I'm missing something. I recently replaced the roof flap gear pieces with the upgraded parts to solve the sagging, but I've run into a new issue.

The flaps are adjusted and perfectly flush with the trunk, but when the roof is down if the trunk is opened they catch on the C-Pillar trim pieces upon closing. This seems to be deforming the C-Pillar pieces pretty badly and I don't want to have to replace them (or get into searching for them), so I'm refraining from opening the roof at all.

I've tried adjusting the flaps but it doesn't seem to be anything to do with their adjustment as they are fully extended when open.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Grille
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
22,667 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have "saggy flaps", but this is the opposite of the usual problem, which is when they sag when closed so they don't trip the limit switch. I suspect you may have a problem with the cable. Have you seen this:

Thank you, I’ll have a go with the adjustment with the flaps extended. The strange thing is that the flaps don’t seem to be actually sagging when extended, they are tight up against the boot lid.

·
Registered
2005 R230 SL350 (M112)
82 Posts
Your flaps are clearly not aligned properly. You can slide their top segment across their base unit. Unscrew (I think hex nuts), align with trunk lid edge and fixate, done. (I'm not with my car just now, so I am relying on my memory).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your flaps are clearly not aligned properly. You can slide their top segment across their base unit. Unscrew (I think hex nuts), align with trunk lid edge and fixate, done. (I'm not with my car just now, so I am relying on my memory).
Thank you so much, this was it!!

In the process of repairing the flap sag, I had remove the top segments to make the re-assembly easier (per the guide). This had obviously thrown things off, and I had actually attempted at realigning them previously to sort this out but had worked in the opposite direction - moving the flaps closer to the trunk lid. This stopped the flaps from catching on the top of the C-Pillar trim and caused the issue. I just pulled them off and moved them closer to the C-Pillar and it's fixed!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts