Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Guys,
I am in the market for an 03 ML 500. I have personally checked out a few low mile vehicles and they all had something wrong. Most notably oil leaks. The dealer by my house has a nice clean one, drove perfect but sure enough it had a nice leak.
Ive seen one advertised in Miami that looks good and is priced right, almost too right. It has 56k miles and looks good in the pics.
What is the best way to have a car checked out when its an out of town consideration?
Im good with cars so I know what I am looking at generally, but what in particular should I focus on with an 03 ml500?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price and service history. BTW oil leaks are repairable and a good leverage point..
Oh I know oil leaks are repairable.
I drove an 03 ml350 from the m/b dealer by my house. I had bought a used car there b4. When I looked underneath and told him it has droplets hanging off the transpan he kinda didnt want to hear it. They wanted 15k for it and he told me at that price theyre not gonna do much with the price regardless.
I told him im not buying it that way and he let me walk.
I believe they sold it the other day and someone is gonna be pissed tomorrow when they discover oil on their garage floor.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Greetings Guys,
I am in the market for an 03 ML 500. I have personally checked out a few low mile vehicles and they all had something wrong. Most notably oil leaks. The dealer by my house has a nice clean one, drove perfect but sure enough it had a nice leak.
Ive seen one advertised in Miami that looks good and is priced right, almost too right. It has 56k miles and looks good in the pics.
What is the best way to have a car checked out when its an out of town consideration?
Im good with cars so I know what I am looking at generally, but what in particular should I focus on with an 03 ml500?

Thanks guys
Just that it's got about 150K to go before it's 2nd 16-plug change. Otherwise, nothing in particular to worry about but a lot of various repair items over the long haul that any ML with all the features may experience--e.g., washer bottles, drivers window, GCM, cat, propeller shaft... Overall, our '03 ML500 has been worth keeping up and I may keep it to 250K if the new "500" doesn't turn my head.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
Greetings Guys,

Thanks guys
MB of Naperville has an 02 500 under 70k miles for $12,900 if you don't feel
like hunting all over the country. They will let you take it any place for PPI
or you feel confident they will put it on one of their racks and let you look.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,512 Posts
Greetings Guys,
I think you should look for 04/05. 03 are good, but 05 are better,...slightly. More importantly, what is the nature of the oil leak? It could be a tranny oil leak which is common and a quick fix. It could also be coming from the motor. In this case, there are a few well known culprits and the fixes are also not bank breaking. In fact, all the fixes are DIYable, depending on your comfort level.
I've seen one advertised in Miami that looks good and is priced right, almost too right. It has 56k miles and looks good in the pics.
As you know, pics don't do anything for you. Since you are long distance, send out a request on this and other forums for members in the area to go drive/check out the truck for you. There are many here who will to do that for you upon request. I have done it for others and I have had others do it for me. It works great if you get the right person to help. So folks, HELP!
I'm good with cars so I know what I am looking at generally, but what in particular should I focus on with an 03 ml500?

Thanks guys
There's nothing particular about the 03 500. They all have same issues since whenever through 2005 - which is a good thing because it makes solutions readily available. I believe the stickies have a list of what to look for - I don't think we have to go through the list here. Do a search here and also at MBWorld.com. If you are still miffed, PM me. Your auto experience and this forum will save you lots of $$$$ if you ever get into this ML.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you should look for 04/05. 03 are good, but 05 are better,...slightly. More importantly, what is the nature of the oil leak? It could be a tranny oil leak which is common and a quick fix. It could also be coming from the motor. In this case, there are a few well known culprits and the fixes are also not bank breaking. In fact, all the fixes are DIYable, depending on your comfort level.
As you know, pics don't do anything for you. Since you are long distance, send out a request on this and other forums for members in the area to go drive/check out the truck for you. There are many here who will to do that for you upon request. I have done it for others and I have had others do it for me. It works great if you get the right person to help. So folks, HELP!
There's nothing particular about the 03 500. They all have same issues since whenever through 2005 - which is a good thing because it makes solutions readily available. I believe the stickies have a list of what to look for - I don't think we have to go through the list here. Do a search here and also at MBWorld.com. If you are still miffed, PM me. Your auto experience and this forum will save you lots of $$$$ if you ever get into this ML.
Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well folks, after much back and forth with the dealer, i got the carfax and discovered the odometer had been rolled back. lol. Nice.
The dealer claimed to not know which i called him on BS. Theres no way he didnt know. I didnt think dealers did this stuff anymore but just a heads up to all of you out there. The dealer is Florida cars USA in miami. That said, he didnt clock it, it was done b4 he got it.
That said, the vehicle appears to have abt 72k and shows a history of maintenance and no major repairs.
Im thinking of really low balling him big time as the truck appears decent and maybe i wont report him misrepresenting mileage.
Anyway, ill keep looking.
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Well folks, after much back and forth with the dealer, i got the carfax and discovered the odometer had been rolled back. lol. Nice.
The dealer claimed to not know which i called him on BS. Theres no way he didnt know. I didnt think dealers did this stuff anymore but just a heads up to all of you out there. The dealer is Florida cars USA in miami. That said, he didnt clock it, it was done b4 he got it.
That said, the vehicle appears to have abt 72k and shows a history of maintenance and no major repairs.
Im thinking of really low balling him big time as the truck appears decent and maybe i wont report him misrepresenting mileage.
Anyway, ill keep looking.
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Interesting... would it be more accurate to say that it must have at least 72K instead of about 72K? Because, 72K is loooooow mileage for any '03 auto but if you know that someone did a Feck on the speedo unless you know more I think you have to assume the ML has got about 100k or more miles on it. With just 72K on it I'd exepect that even the rear window washers are still in good shape. If I found an ML just like ours but with 72K -- i.e., nearly 130K fewer miles that we have now -- I'd buy it.

Also, keep in mind that when considering newer 500s, you're still getting a fantastic motor (your own German-made v-8 mustang engine that will outlast the rest of the car) but it's a totally different ML. The '03 is a body on frame not a unibody. There's lots of little details that go into the owner's experience--e.g., the '03 ML500 has powered 3rd windows at the rear and I like the 275x17x45s on all four corners.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
heres the car fax....and a few pics.
I think I will put some heat on him and low ball the crap out of it. but if hes gonna lie abt that, he will lie abt anything.
After another look at the carfax it is unclear whether he clocked it or the place b4 him clocked. I have a hunch though. I wondered why all his cars for sale were basically high miles except this one. :)
BTW... He now knows without a doubt its been clocked because I called him on it Friday and he still has it listed for sale at 55k miles.
This guy is flagrant.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Interesting... would it be more accurate to say that it must have at least 72K instead of about 72K? Because, 72K is loooooow mileage for any '03 auto but if you know that someone did a Feck on the speedo unless you know more I think you have to assume the ML has got about 100k or more miles on it. With just 72K on it I'd exepect that even the rear window washers are still in good shape. If I found an ML just like ours but with 72K -- i.e., nearly 130K fewer miles that we have now -- I'd buy it.

Also, keep in mind that when considering newer 500s, you're still getting a fantastic motor (your own German-made v-8 mustang engine that will outlast the rest of the car) but it's a totally different ML. The '03 is a body on frame not a unibody. There's lots of little details that go into the owner's experience--e.g., the '03 ML500 has powered 3rd windows at the rear and I like the 275x17x45s on all four corners.
The question to me isnt necessarily exactly how many miles are on it, its that the dealer attempted outright fraud. Whether its 72k or 102k. Blatant fraud. All his other 100+ cars for sale had the carfax ready online with just a click except this one. He played dumb that the car fax doesnt come up and I asked several times b4 he finally emailed it to me. Coincidence? Honest oversight? I think not.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot. B4 i knew it was clocked I told him I would need a PPI, and he was kind enough to offer to PPI it personally for me. :)

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
The question to me isnt necessarily exactly how many miles are on it, its that the dealer attempted outright fraud. Whether its 72k or 102k. Blatant fraud. All his other 100+ cars for sale had the carfax ready online with just a click except this one. He played dumb that the car fax doesnt come up and I asked several times b4 he finally emailed it to me. Coincidence? Honest oversight? I think not.

Oh yeah... I almost forgot. B4 i knew it was clocked I told him I would need a PPI, and he was kind enough to offer to PPI it personally for me. :)
If you post the VIN here, then anyone who googles the VIN should have this show up and you will be protecting some other unsuspecting buyer out there.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you post the VIN here, then anyone who googles the VIN should have this show up and you will be protecting some other unsuspecting buyer out there.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry that's why I posted the car fax. I didn't know it would post as a pdf but its all there.
I see ur point though, it may not come through in a vin search.
Lemme see what happens first and if no one beats me to it I will post if he doesn't take my low ball offer

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,117 Posts
Looking at the carfax the current seller bought it rolled back. It for sale at MB of Naples with 55k miles on it.
Very strange because there is record of MB of Naples servicing it at 71k miles just a few months before.
Maybe asking MB of Naples what is going on might yield some answers. Show the GM or sales manager the carfax and see if they squirm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at the carfax the current seller bought it rolled back. It for sale at MB of Naples with 55k miles on it.
Very strange because there is record of MB of Naples servicing it at 71k miles just a few months before.
Maybe asking MB of Naples what is going on might yield some answers. Show the GM or sales manager the carfax and see if they squirm.
yep i saw that.
I think they got caught with their pants down and they just sent it to auction because normally M/B dealers would keep a clean truck like that on their lot.
A reputable dealer doesnt want that on their lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dealer, and Ive only dealt with the owner, insists there must be a mistake. He feels someone typed in the wrong number.
Doesnt fly since M/B of Naples saw the car about 3 times and logged in
70ishK 3 times. 3 typos? I think not. Anyway, Vadim insists there is a mistake and says he is going to fix it. I told him the vehicle isnt worth nearly as much if it had been clocked. He will get back to me. Frankly Im pretty certain its been clocked, and I told him Ill be keeping an eye on him until he discloses an odometer question at the very least or fixes it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MB of Naperville has an 02 500 under 70k miles for $12,900 if you don't feel
like hunting all over the country. They will let you take it any place for PPI
or you feel confident they will put it on one of their racks and let you look.
I cruised by there sunday, didnt see it on the lot.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
I cruised by there sunday, didnt see it on the lot.
Maybe it got 'stolen" and they are putting in an insurance claim????j/k

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2015 ML250 BTC
1,314 Posts
Why was it seen 3 times at the dealer--couldn't get the smell of the dead body out of the carpet?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts