Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for any information on the diffenenced in the 2003 E500 with the 5 speed and the 2004 with the 7 speed.

I did a search on google and found nothing, also the dealer what not to much of help as well. just said 03 have a 5 speed and the 04 have a 7 speed.

I guess my questions are:

1) does it help the performance of the car to 0-60 1/4 mile etc or is more ove a over dride gear.

·
Registered
2010 SLK 350
64 Posts
I have the same question too actually.
I was told that the 7 speeds drive a bit more smoother than the 5 speeds and that's about it.

Other than that, it just sounds cool to have a 7speed over a 5speed. [:)]

I drove a 7 speed SLK 350 and took it to the freeway. I was doing about 125km/h blowin' past cars here and there, and I was so happy to look down and see that it was only on 4th gear. 3 MORE TO GO!!~ So i slowed down a bit...took it to 3rd, then took off. Couldn't even hit 7th. (well...never needed to)

For those (in T.O.) who saw an asshole in a black SLK 350 on the Dvp weavin back and forth...sorry, that asshole was me. [;)]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't compare the 5 speed, because the only one that I've driven was in an 04 SL500, and that's not apples to apples, but we have the 7 speed in our 04 E500 and it is seemless! Half the time, I don't even know which gear it's in, it's that smooth. I think MB put 7 speeds in them to try and get better mileage and not have to pay the gas guzzler taxes. It didn't work, but in the end, if it's mileage you're concerned about, then there are better cars out there, but if a nice driving luxury sedan that has some go, and a Remarkable look to it is what you're after, then we bought the right cars. [:D]

The nice thing about this trans is the additional OD gears, because at 80 mph, the car isn't even working hard (2100 rpms, and 21-25 mpg, as long as you're not accelerating) and has plenty of room for more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like the previous poster, I can't compare the two as I have never driven the 5 speed. However, I can discuss driving the 7 speed.

It is seemless and does a remarkable job at any trottle level. It is the best auto tranny that I have ever driven.

Purist still prefer a manual transmission car and if I wanted a true sports car, I would have gone that route. However, this 7-speed auto is NO slush box. That only refers to a 2 speed Chevy Powerglide not a modern 7-speed.

I didn't buy a 2004 E500 for gas mileage, but I like what I get on the highway.

Last week I drove to Pittsburgh, PA which is a 90 mile drive to me. There are some hills. I took the highway going and the back roads coming home. I passed cars on a two lane road several times. I still got 24.4 MPG for the trip. Not bad.

Great car and a great transmission.

Philip

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello.

This is part of what Mercedes-Benz wrote in their press release when they introduced the 7G-TRONIC:

"The newly developed seven-speed automatic transmission reduces fuel consumption in the NEDC driving cycle by as much as 0.6 litres per 100 kilometres (depending on the car), increases acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h by up to 0.3 seconds and allows significantly quicker intermediate sprints from 60 to 120 km/h. At the same time, shifting is even smoother, and therefore more comfortable, than with the automatic transmission presently used (5-speed)."

·
Registered
2008 E350 AMG Sport Package, P2
505 Posts
Question E500 and S500 have the same Transmission G-7 Tronic, Horsepower and Torque. Why does the E500 has 25mpg on freeway and S500 has 24mpg?

·
Registered
9 Posts
v8mbp - 2/16/2005 4:15 AM

Question E500 and S500 have the same Transmission G-7 Tronic, Horsepower and Torque. Why does the E500 has 25mpg on freeway and S500 has 24mpg?
The S500 is heavier.

Philip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts