Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I'm trying to fix something myself again, need location and/or pictures would be great!

My code: P0130 - 02 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Seen a pix somewhere on here that appeared to be in the intake section, but not 100% sure. Somebody out there has changed this one I'm sure!

I want to pull it, get the part # and track down a more affordable one instead of paying $190 from my local dealership...and they say "is it the left one or the right one?" IDK

In case my vehicle info is not listed: 2000 CLK 320 cabrio

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Hi, CG.

Bank 1 is the passenger side (assuming you're in a LHD car) and sensor one is the front one, pop the hood to the second release and look down following the exhaust. Sensor 2 is underneath nearer the transmission.

The sensor you need for that location is a Bosch 15090, Autohausaz has it for $95.51 with free shipping: Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is it, isn't it? I pulled the 2 clips off near the airbox, looked inside the mesh part and seen something that I would call a sensor. So then with the car running and plugged into a diagnostic machine, I pulled that plug there...it started running like it was trying to breathe harder, not to mention a new code didn't pop up!

From some experience I knew that there was an 02 hole in Honda intakes so that was where I looked first.

Thanks gregs210! If this is it, I'm ordering tonight!

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Did you look at the autohaus item? There is a picture of it and you can see the connector. Your Pic is awfully dark, but the arrow looks like it is pointing to the MAF, not the O2 sensor.

FWIW, it's generally a bad idea to unplug anything when your car is running. If you're doing that for testing, shut the car down, remove the key, let the dash display go dark, then unplug. Then start, then shut down etc. before plugging back in.

The O2 sensor is part of the exhaust system, not the intake, that's why I said follow the exhaust back from the manifold. It's down by the block, not up on top.

This is a pic of the sensor, the connector on it is up along the fender/firewall somewhere in a spring clip with the other half of the connection to the harness, probably is black in the original with black insulation. If you find the connection, then you can follow the wire down to the sensor, most of which is inside the exhaust pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Here's a diagram of your exhaust system showing the location of the O2 sensors. W208 has two O2 sensors, left and right both upstream of the Cat.

[W209 has four O2 sensors, left and right both upstream and downstream of the Cat]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GREGS210
:( oops, thought unplugging while running didn't sound like a good idea, had some guy say "oh it's ok, no worries" lol! Geez!

02 sensors I knew had to do something with the exhaust, has to measure the air, but memory of a Honda clouded my mind...not hard to do!

KEYHOLE
You are AWESOME! It is hard to locate a diagram of where these sensors are, I tried for what seems like hours yesterday! There are pic's all over the internet of what the sensor looks like un-installed.

So is it safe to say that the bank 1 sensor 1 is the right side? Sensor 2 being the left side???

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Nope, good guess but you actually have four O2 sensors.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the front one on the passenger side, Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the rear one on the passenger side.

Bank 2 also has two sensors, same approximate locations F&R, that's the driver's side.

Greg

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Greg - whoops - did I post the wrong W208 diagram from the WIS? I had better recheck.
I don't think so, since I figured you were trying to show the location for the one the OP is chasing. The EPC and Bosch VPF both list four O2 sensors, though I can't see them on the EPC diagram. Go figure I guess. :) The attached pic is from the EPC parts listing.

CG, whereabouts are you located? If you're close to DIY members they may be willing to lend a hand.

Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Hi Greg

Mmm? I think that we both might be right. Could it be that early 208 models had two O2 sensors, and later they added two more?

On the Russian site they list 4 as you show above, but their drawing does not show where they are fitted. However, my W208 WIS diagram is very clear and identifies each sensor by item number.

Similarly on the W209 WIS exhaust pipe diagram all four sensors are identified and their locations shown.

Maybe another w208 owner here can clarify the situation? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GREGS
I'm in Charlotte NC...
The sensor is due in today, got the car cooling down from the morning drive! If I can take pictures, clearer/lighter, I will certainly do so...

Question: Is it possible the 02 sensor contributing to the vehicle running hot?

Some history...ran fine up till 2 weeks ago when the CPS acted up and I had to change that, ever since she likes to run hotter than the 80/normal.

Sure I'll find out today when the 02 sensor is changed but guess I'm thinking ahead to the next project.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
So far as I know all the 208s had four O2 sensors. Why they left them out of the tech drawings is a mystery to me, unless they hadn't quite decided on where they would put them. :) Indeed, even the EPC just has an inset for them, you have to look closely at the drawing even for the nipple where the front ones attach.

It's the same setup as the 202 once the V engines were added (MY 98); the 112 and 113 engines are the ULEV double-sequential plug design and sport the extra sensors.

When the O2 sensor codes it triggers certain default parameters in the engine management system. It's possible that could be a lean-burn situation that would result in higher combustion temps, but it seems unlikely that would result in an overheating condition.

Are you seeing hotter temps all the time or only at speed or only in town or only at idle, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nope, good guess but you actually have four O2 sensors.

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the front one on the passenger side, Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the rear one on the passenger side.

Bank 2 also has two sensors, same approximate locations F&R, that's the driver's side.

Greg
Thanks for the clarification on the sensors. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay in posting my install, but here it is!

Got the engine cover off, easy duh.

After removing factory intake tube, there she is, bank 1 sensor 1! What an angle though!
How about a close up!
Tried an 02 socket but wasnt long enough, had to use open-end wrench. Got it out pretty easy and quick. Forgot to take pic of the new one, sorry. Followed the plug underneath and wa-la done.

GREGS210 Thank you for your expertise and location of this!

As far as the heat issue, staying right at 90 on the guage, so not worrying...yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all!

I'm trying to fix something myself again, need location and/or pictures would be great!

My code: P0130 - 02 Sensor Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Seen a pix somewhere on here that appeared to be in the intake section, but not 100% sure. Somebody out there has changed this one I'm sure!

I want to pull it, get the part # and track down a more affordable one instead of paying $190 from my local dealership...and they say "is it the left one or the right one?" IDK

In case my vehicle info is not listed: 2000 CLK 320 cabrio

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
595 Posts
don't want to throw cold water on this entire thread but have you searched on both forums about O2 codes....99% time its a bad MAF that throws O2 codes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts