1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear Rotors:
-Remoded Calipers and replaced Pads... No Problem,
-Remmoved single Hex Nut off the Rotor. No way to get the Rotor off. :crybaby2:

1-I need instructions on "How to" and the tool I need to get the rotor off. (are the front rotors dismount any different)?
2-According to MB Parts and my own experience, the front calipers
use a special bolt that need an MB kit:eek: ($58.00)which I'll have to pay-up tomorrow unless someone has a better way.

Thanks all for you inputs.

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
I had the same problem on the ML430. The rotors were rusted to the hub. WD40 freed mine up enough to where I could hammer them off. You may have to get personal with them if you want them off.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
For rear rotors, you may have to loosen the parking brake shoes (search on this forum for instructions on how to loosen the parking brake shoes).

Other than that, like cmitch suggested above, just take a mallet and hit it around the rotor. If you are replacing the rotors, then you don't need to worry about damaging the rotor. Usually, the rotor gets stuck (rust) to the wheel hub. You may have to hit it very hard.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
JMHO, but beating on a rotor has the potential to damage other things and may send pieces of metal flying at speeds that can penetrate skin, eyes, etc.

Use PB Blaster (especially around the lug bolt holes, so it can penetrate to the hub mounting surface) and use a large crescent wrench to grab the outer edge of the rotor. Rock it back and forth, changing positions at about 110 degree intervals. That's quite safe, of course assuming you have the vehicle properly supported on stands or a lift. You can combine this with mallet hits on the opposite side (facing in) which can help shock the rust loose, but these do not need to be really hard hits.

And always, always, always, wear excellent eye protection when doing this kind of stuff. Your eyes and health are worth far more than the few hundred bucks it costs to pay someone else to do this stuff.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
It was fun while it lasted
11,126 Posts
JMHO, but beating on a rotor has the potential to damage other things and may send pieces of metal flying at speeds that can penetrate skin, eyes, etc.

Use PB Blaster (especially around the lug bolt holes, so it can penetrate to the hub mounting surface) and use a large crescent wrench to grab the outer edge of the rotor. Rock it back and forth, changing positions at about 110 degree intervals. That's quite safe, of course assuming you have the vehicle properly supported on stands or a lift. You can combine this with mallet hits on the opposite side (facing in) which can help shock the rust loose, but these do not need to be really hard hits.

And always, always, always, wear excellent eye protection when doing this kind of stuff. Your eyes and health are worth far more than the few hundred bucks it costs to pay someone else to do this stuff.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
You have to admit, beating on it will make you feel better.

·
Registered
133 Posts
"You have to admit, beating on it will make you feel better..."

I was also yelling my in-low's name while I was doing that:eek:...

Seriously, PB Blaster though the holes over night would help greatly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
It will be easier if you get both the rear wheels of the ground. Make sure the front wheels are choked and you are using jack stands. Still be careful.
Rotate the rotor until you see the star shaped adjuster for the parking brake. Use a screwdriver and rotate the adjuster to release the parking brake. Do not just yank on the rotor to get it of. There are 2 small pins that look a lot like nails that can easily brake. Mercedes does not sell them individually. You will have to buy the entire sping set if you break one.

·
Registered
761 Posts
To get the Rotors off i use a rubber mallet. They sell them at LOWES and HOME DEPOT for $3. I have learned to spray the rotors base with a ceramic spray paint to prevent this from happening as much. They still tend to get a little stuck but a few good hits from the mallet and it come right off without metal flying or damaging any other parts. Best of luck to you. and maybe sometime in FEB of 2009 I will again chage the pads and just for kicks change the rotors and make a D.I.Y. Video of the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts