Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ML320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My 02 ml320 has 87k and used for daily runs. For some reason the Brake warning "red" lamp and the Brake wear "amber" lamp starting flashing randomly at exactly the same time. No specific times or actions.. either driving or not...sometimes stopped. Brake fluid is correct and there are no visible leaks... the park brake is not engaged. Its almost like there is something lose somewhere cause i shook the truck and the light came on....:confused: Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks...:bowdown:

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
You mentioned everything except the pads. The light is to tell you that your pads are worn to the point that they should be replaced. Have you checked them?

·
Registered
2002 ML320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no.... I was planning on doing that today.... and thought that was the case, but why both warning light "at exactly the same time"...but ill check those ... Thanks.

·
Registered
01 ML320
22 Posts
I have changed my 01 ML320 for many time with only the brake wear "amber" light warning.
Last time about 1 yr. ago my rear pads were down to the metal. This time both light were on everytime I braked. At the same time there is beepping sound as well when I press pedal.
Check all your brake pads.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,098 Posts
As break pads wear down, the piston in the caliper comes out proportionally. The only thing that fills the void inside the caliper, is break fluid. When the pads have worn down to such a degree, it will deminish the level of fluid in the master cylinder, thereby causing the brake light to illuminate. When you shook the truck it moved the level to one side, away from the senson, telling the sensor that there was not enough brake fluid at that moment.

If you are low on brake fluid, only fill it up half way, because when the brake pads are replaced, pushing the piston back to its' right place will elevate the level of fluid. So don't put too much fluid in now, as it will have to be removed later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts