Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a small stereo upgrade for the G. nothing major just all new speakers, small amp and subs. No pimp my rides or whips build up.

Searching on line i have found that the door speakers are 6.5 Other than that i cant find the info on the 4 in the dash and the two in the back. Any of you have any ideas.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
A while back i posted the brand and model of a 6.5 inch sub that may fit right into the stock enclosure under the seat. i'd bet it puts out nearly twice the stock 6.5 sub... might need more ampt to push it, but worth a shot. If you look at thread that includes my bumper pics you'll see a JL 8w7 in the back. That little sucker really moves... equivalent to a better than average 10"... or about 2-3 of those beefy 6.5's i posted about.

It would also be a slick instal to put 2-3 of those 6.5's in the rear door... but saigonsmuggler should rightfully hassle me about adding weight to that back door.

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
ewalberg - 5/9/2005 7:21 PM
It would also be a slick instal to put 2-3 of those 6.5's in the rear door... but saigonsmuggler should rightfully hassle me about adding weight to that back door.
You took the words right out of my mouth!![:D]

Kerr, does your rear doors' (not cargo area) speakers play music or just low tone?? My rear door speakers play only low tones (bass-like). The small sub under the seat plays bass only. My theory is that the HK system uses these three speakers to produce bass while the rest of the speakers produce the rest of the frequencies. This produces better bass response than my brother's Mark Levinson system in his LX. In the LX, the subwoofer is all the way in the back cargo area and it's only 6.5" also. All the other speakers do not produce much bass. Mark Levinson system is super clean and clear but lacks the punch of my HK system.

So, if your rear door speakers do the same, then all you really need is to hookup the bass unit under the seat. I am sure MB sells it.

I have always wondered whether the HK system on my G is any different than '02 system other than subwoofer?? Does anyone know if the other speakers are the same or upgraded?? The other strange thing is that there is no "HK" symbol anywhere. Every other MB with HK system or BOSE, there's a symbol on the speaker grill or headunit. The G has nothing. Strange...maybe all HK did was add the subwoofer?!

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure on the speakers playing notes / tones or words ill look when i go out in a few.

I do know that in 02 they had cheap stereo sound. My dad piced up a 98 SL500 with the bose stereo and it puts the G to shame as well as devons ML. Its like they almost made it sound good but didnt.

The game plan is fake floor the size of the rear wheel wells, subs and amps there the carpet the top so when you look in it just looks like floor and i can still pile, stroler, luggage, etc in the back. then in the doors we Ill go with the 6.5 componet sets probably and then what ever they can get to fit in the dash.

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Kerr - 5/9/2005 3:59 PM

I have been thinking about a small stereo upgrade for the G. nothing major just all new speakers, small amp and subs. No pimp my rides or whips build up.

QUOTE]

Kerr - 5/10/2005 8:55 AM

The game plan is fake floor the size of the rear wheel wells, subs and amps there the carpet the top so when you look in it just looks like floor and i can still pile, stroler, luggage, etc in the back. then in the doors we Ill go with the 6.5 componet sets probably and then what ever they can get to fit in the dash.
Kerr,

I'm going to have to give you some good natured ribbing on this one -

So far you have or want:
-a huge fake wood dash package
-the chrome MB grill guard that doesn't protect against anything
-blue headlight bulbs and/or aftermarket HIDs
-limo tint front windows
-chrome Wheels
-tail light guards
-a massive stereo

What exactly is your definition of pimp?

Dave [}:)] [}:)]

FYI - I'll try to find the other post and reply to it. The COMAND unit will display your true speed if you are still trying to figure out what your speedo accuracy is.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mb230s - 5/13/2005 5:20 PM

Kerr - 5/9/2005 3:59 PM

QUOTE]

Kerr - 5/10/2005 8:55 AM

Kerr,

I'm going to have to give you some good natured ribbing on this one -

So far you have or want:
-a huge fake wood dash package
-the chrome MB grill guard that doesn't protect against anything
-blue headlight bulbs and/or aftermarket HIDs
-limo tint front windows
-chrome Wheels
-tail light guards
-a massive stereo

What exactly is your definition of pimp?

Dave,

Your sorta correct,

Wood dash looks ok when it was finished. All i used was the vents, center diff, around there steering wheel and too pulls. Just make it look a little better. Ill get a updated picture for you.

The grill gard is black, ;) remember im not a fan of chrome on the G in adons.

as for the lights if you ever tried a set you would love them. I know people hate bright lights but when they are adjusted correctley it does not bother anyone.

The chrome wheels goes against what i said earlier, How ever its cheaper to exchage damaged wheels for chrome that to fix the damaged ones. That and if i ever go to sale it the pimps love chrome.

Tail lights if i can find some used will also be stripped, sanded and painted black.

As for the stereo the 02's suck. My daughters first fisher pice radio is better than the one in my G.

P.S. because you love the lights here another shot of the ricer bulbs. actully they dont look blue until a flash goes off.

Attachments

·
Registered
111.010 121.942 202.033
1,850 Posts
Kerr - 5/13/2005 4:31 PM

as for the lights if you ever tried a set you would love them. I know people hate bright lights but when they are adjusted correctley it does not bother anyone.
Not a snowballs chance in hell. Those lights are dangerous and have less output than normal clear bulbs. I don't really care if they look "cool", they just don't work.

Read these articles written by Daniel Stern - probably the #1 advocate in the USA for automotive lighting:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts