Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My plan is to drill/grind the remainder out/off.

will need to ask someone for impact hammer and then more heavy duty and bigger drill bit. It is OK if wheel damaged in process...

Dont know what else to do, any ideas?

Purchased car this way. The way the lug bolts are made make it impossible to pop the wheel off until all wheel bolts are removed. You can see in the picture what it it looks like

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG Sedan
1,111 Posts
You need to replace those lug bolts. They are known to break off like that where the head extends away from the cone. Get regular long bolts that don't have that dumb extension or get the short bolts that Mercedes used with the AMG wheels on the E55.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
636 Posts
Ouch!
Start with an 1/8 part drill bit and centre it as best as you can. Then work your way up through the sizes.
That big shaped washer should mean you don't need to go in as far as the wheel surface.
There is another way to do it with a sacrificed 17mm socket and a welder.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,007 Posts
Check older threads for special extractors for the job, but if you insist on drilling x2 on starting with small pilot hole and follow with bigger size.
The bolts are heat-treated, so some rules for drilling such steel:
-industrial grade bits with tip sharpened at wide angle
-slow speeds and big pressure should have removed material coming in "ribbon"
-avoid overheating and use drilling oil often.
Have sharpening grinder handy and don't hesitate to use it.
There is nothing wrong with extended head bolts, but there is lot wrong with "impact wrench monkeys" putting wheels at shops.
I loved extended heads for the smooth looks and had them installed even on R129, who did not have them originally. Just observe torquing.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,011 Posts
Reminds me of why I got rid of those bolts :) The ones I bought (used) were Mercedes bolts off an ealier sedan - maybe a C-class or W124? The length from mushroom to end was correct and on the outer end they have a long hex with chrome outer tip. They look fine. Picture should be here somewhere but unfortunately lots of links no longer work on this new forum software :(

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,011 Posts
Raymond, Photos I posted on BW using Dropbox links also don't appear. In this case, it is the new forum software that is the problem. They say they are working on it, but we are recreating some key information and hosting it elsewhere. At least some previously broken links seem to be working.
I posted a picture of the lug bolts I found in this post (off earlier W140, I think - with longer hex, they worked well):
The picture doesn't appear even although link should still be good. :(
This is the picture:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts