Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I will try to explain. The rod that pushes the trunk open and then pulls it closed is not connected. I can manually open the trunk by either pressing the key fob to unlock and then lifting with my hand or using the key and turning and lifting the trunk lid with my hand.

With this in mind and the trunk lid open I can hear the relay click to either open or close the trunk but the rod does not move up or down. Was wondering if this has to be grounded to work?

At this time the rod appears to be fully extended and if I connect it it will not allow the trunk lid to close. Does anyone know where the motor is that controls this rod? Is it located under the battery? Any suggestions on what to look for? thanks.

·
Registered
Lots of collector cars from the 50's to present
288 Posts
Are you talking about the Automatic Closure?

Automatic closure or the pneumatic pull down. I'm not clear to what you are referring. What rod? You can't see any rods

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess the pneumatic pull down. That is what appears to be layiing on the trunk floor not connected to anything. I can take a picture if that would help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes please attach a picture. Id' like to see what is going on. Whom ever you bought the car from must have been really dirt poor and jerry rigged it by blocking off the vacuum ports and unplugging the unit. You shouldn't be able to see anything or know about anything. The carpet should be covering up everything. Once I see what you are talking about I can tell you what need to be done.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a pic of the part in the trunk that is no longer connected. Sadly it was like this when I got the car so I have no idea where it is supposed to go.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is the automatic closure strut. Is it plugged in? if it is what does it do? Either the piston is bad/ unit. (is it wet from oil) or you have a bad wiring harness. I just had a friend who had to replace the harness and it worked again. I'm afraid if you put it back it might lift up your hinges at the back and not do anything. See how much replacing the part itself would be. Go to the counter and ask for a price on the part. I would see if it was bad and replace it. It attaches to a ball on the body and on the trunk lid arm. It is what electrically/hydraulically opens and closes the lid.when you click the open button what does the part do? That is what I am trying to determine. Nothing? makes noise what? remember the clicking is the trunk latch mechanic working, this unit will not make any noise. You will have to remove the carpet assembly and snap it back in place or replace the part with a new one and see what happens. If it acts screwy then it is the harness that is bad. Usually a ground issue in the harness.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As of right now. What you see is it. It does not move up or down. I cannot push it down either. When I click the key fob I can hear a humming coming by the battery and it stops when I fully open the trunk lid. Then I click it again to close and I can hear the humming sound till I close the lid. However this part does not move in any way and I cannot push it down even while I hear the humming.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Then it is powering and working. I would go ahead and buy a new assembly. Replace that part. Go directly to your parts counter at MBZ and buy the unit. remove the carpet. Unplug the old unit. Put in the new one and It will be good as new. They do go bad. More than likely, the unit stop closing so he just took it off to save money. Keep us posted

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you know where it mounts? I did look around and was not sure. Obviously it is by the battery but I was not sure if I needed to remove the battery to get to it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Remove just the carpet

No, just remove the battery cover and the carpeted cover that surrounds the RH side. No, you dont have to remove the battery. It's above the battery. The part plugs in and then snaps into the ball attached to the body and the ball attached to the arm of the trunk. You can put the old one on and see what it does but I bet it will do nothing. Im sure you can make it close by your own pressure and it will open automatically but you will have to more than likely push like hell to close it. I just priced it $720.00 for the part, part number 2158000148, my cost 600.00 no tax but you have to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
02 CL600
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Let me figure that part out over the weekend and then get back to you. Saving a little always helps. Thanks for the info as well.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You can try and buy a used one for about 300.00 but your taking a chance. If they give a warranty Id try it. If not I wouldnt. Try and find a used one. It needs to be fixed that is for sure. You don't want to drive around with it like that. You might be able to wrap it in plastic and stick in back behind the battery and leave it alone and just have manual open and close. I find the electric closure fun. I love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts