Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CL500 - 2006 E350 4MATIC
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there and thanks for reading.

I have a 2002 CL500 one owner 100k on it. like new. not a single problem with this car. the only thing that i recently felt is when the car goes over bumps (even small ones) the car slides to left and right a bit. its not too much to freak u out( thats if im driving 120km/h) but if i go faster it gets worse.

to help u understand i would say its the same thing that happens when your tire goes over a railway for street cars, car is pushed a bit to left or right. i hope u know what i mean

sorry English is my second language so bare me with this one.

I also want to mention that my mechanic without really looking for the problem, advised me that this could be cause cuz of my rear tires having zero tread left. i changed one of them to a almost brand new one. the other one still has some. and the front ones r okay.

but seems like this didnt really help. i had a CLK before and i have tires on it which were completely gone and it never did this

oh and also when i put the ABC in sports mode it makes it a bit better.

i was wondering if the ABC would get messed up and cause this?! like a reprogram would be needed?! or is this something to do with suspension...?!

my mechanic told me some of the bushings in rear suspension might need replacement. but i still dont think thats causing the problem. any idea?!

thank you so much for ur help and time. :) :bowdown:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Raise the car as high as it will go, get a torch and shine it on each strut, if one of the struts has oil all over it, it is leaking and will be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok i will try that and update u. thanks :)

Raise the car as high as it will go, get a torch and shine it on each strut, if one of the struts has oil all over it, it is leaking and will be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
Lots of collector cars from the 50's to present
288 Posts
I have found that another issue causes that

If it isn't the ABC it is the front control arm bushings. They are known to go. They are cheap and very easy to replace. You have to look closely to see if the bushing is missing or compressed. That is what keeps the car tracking straight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for ur reply, yes i had that changred two weeks ago. car drives stright now before it use to shift left.

but this issue is either the struts or suspension and its the read ones. ill take it in next week. i looked with flash light, no oil leakage. thank you bothh

i will update u guys here

If it isn't the ABC it is the front control arm bushings. They are known to go. They are cheap and very easy to replace. You have to look closely to see if the bushing is missing or compressed. That is what keeps the car tracking straight.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If they are not leaking, then its the alignment. You could have a bad sensor on your strut. Best to take it spend a few dollars and get someone to put on the computer. That will tell you what is exactly wrong. They can pinpoint fault to the exact point

·
Registered
288 Posts
The other guy said he had the control bushings replaced

If you read back the guy said that he had his bushings replaced like I mentioned earlier. They are USUALLY gone if you have any miles, age or pot holes in your roads (or hit a lot of curbs) they are what keep the car straight. If your guy aligned the car and didn't check to make sure the front control bushings were good you wasted your money. If just one side is out the car will wonder, make it hard to steer, move out of lane etc. Check them. You can actually visually see then on the front support. They are very easy and cheap to replace. Only thing is you might have to have another alignment afterwords. Or the guy didn't do a 4 wheel alignment or he didn't do a good job, esp. if it was good before you had the work done. Please keep in mind if your alignment was wearing out your tires and then you had it aligned then you really do have a bad bushing and the alignment was a waste of money. He should have checked before working on the car. This is why I always tell people to take their MBZ to someone who actually works on these cars because Firestone or Joe Smo's shop may not know to check for certain things and unless he has done a car like this before he might pass it up and never realize that he missed something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts