Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'02 C230K
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Sorry for the long post...

I've got an '02 C-coupe with wheel and premium packages, COMAND, Bose, and the 6-speed. I got the car mostly because I wanted halfway decent performance with lots of room to move my things to and from school.

I ordered mine just before they made the switch to the '03 models, because I wanted to get the 2.3. I figured the extra 500cc would mean more upgrade potential, since the engine does seem to be quite lightly stressed in the stock configuration. I also preferred the iron block and Eaton blower for durability.

The problem is that I've had a really tough time finding information on performance upgrades for my car. So far, the most promising one seems to be the Kleemann "boost-kit," which consists of a larger crank pulley (http://www.kleemannusa.com).

What I'd like to know is this: first, does anyone have any experience with the Kleemann kit for the 2.3? And second, what about other performance upgrades for this engine?

I know there are larger vendors that offer products for this car (e.g., brabus and renntech), but their kits seem to be a lot more involved (cam upgrades, porting, boring/stroking, even engine replacements), and focused more on cosmetics.

What I'm looking for is a modest torque increase (I figure 40-50 extra lb-ft should be good), and if possible a more linear power curve, without having to do too much to the engine itself.

Also, I'm not really interested in body kits and other cosmetic stuff--my goal is to have a "sleeper car."

Any advice or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Cheers
--
HDM

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Yes, they exist.

Kleemann no longer sells the boost kit. Several companies have some thing similar but most are much more expensive than the Kleemann kit was. For the most inexpensive solution, call Lee at www.aspracing.com They have a boost pulley for the 2.3 Their web site is wrong, it is for the 2.3 not the 1.8.

Kleemann is working on an ECU upgrade with on the the well know chip tuners. Renntech, www.renntechmercedes.com already has one, but it cost $1595. Don't bother with Upsolute. Their chip gives an average of 3 hp.

Headers are available from Supersprint and a high flow cat can be purchased from Magnaflow. There are a lot of tuners offering mufflers and cat backs but most of those are Remus/Sebring units rebadged to a higher price. Eisenmann makes mufflers, resonators and sound pipes in the ranges of loudness. www.eisenhaus.com

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Don't forget ITG or K&N airfilters, good for a few more ponies. Check out my website at ...

Don't forget ITG or K&N airfilters, good for a few more ponies. Check out my website at www.Buellwinkle.com I have some info on where to get stuff and reviews.

·
Registered
'02 C230K
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

I noticed you dyno'd your car... how did it do?

Also, what's ...

Thanks for the info.

I noticed you dyno'd your car... how did it do?

Also, what's your experience with the intercooler mister? I've been considering one of those, too.

Cheers,
--
HDM

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Originally I did as high as 197HP on a Dynojet with just a pulley but no airfilter. Rece...

Originally I did as high as 197HP on a Dynojet with just a pulley but no airfilter. Recently I dynoed with the ITG airfilter and got 193HP on a Mustang Dyno. The MD is more conservative than a Dynojet so my guess is I'm doing 195HP in Dynojet terms. At the crank that translates to about 225 HP

My IC mister lost 8 HP after 3 back to back runs on the dyno vs. losing 13 HP without misting. So the difference was 5 HP.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
So, is the IC mister worth the time and money?

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
That depends on what you value. If you just have to have to 5 ponies and you are on a dr...

That depends on what you value. If you just have to have to 5 ponies and you are on a dragstrip or road track and it's hot out and your running the car hard then the answer is yes. If you just like having gadgets for gadgets sake (me), then yes. If you spend most of your driving on real roads in real life situations then there is zero value. I've monitored my IAT's over time in aggressive but still street driving and the factory IC does a good job of managing intake air temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts