Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty soon I'll be taking delivery of a new C coupe (US-spec), and I'm a little confused about the audio system. According to the options list, the car *should* have both the premium stereo (included with the C5 pkg.) and COMAND installed. I'm not sure how these two options would work together, since COMAND replaces the regular head unit. When you order these two things in the same car, do you actually get a different COMAND box with the 'premium' audio electronics built in? And if so, what are the specs?<br>
<br>
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You will get the same head unit as all other cars with COMAND, but you will get the Bose amp and Bose speakers from the premium package. The non-COMAND head unit is not all that good regardless of whether it is standard or Bose. Actually, I think they are the same with some extra soft keys enabled in the Bose system to control the ambience settings in the Bose amp.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware that the audio electronics in the COMAND unit were any different from those in the regular head unit. My follow-up questions are, 1) where is the power amp located, and 2) how is it integrated with the rest of the system? (if there are soft switches in the head unit that control the amp, I'm guessing there's some kind of proprietary data bus that ties everything together)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On cars with Bose, the headunit is connected to the amp by the D2B fiber optic network. The location of the amp is the subject of much speculation on the various MB discussion boards. I don't know where it is. A poster at mbworld.org did call MBUSA and verify that there is a separate amp, though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The audio signal from your headunit should be electrical signal, not optical signal. So the connection between the amp and the head unit is just as all the other card. All the fancy function is the function of headunit, not the amp. The amp only magnify the electric signal.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. According to a tech. at the dealer, the amp in the c-class sedan is just behind the right rear seat. I'm not sure it's the same for the C230, though. (I know the bass unit is in a different place in the coupe).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts