Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 BMW 325is
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a Mercedes coupe. I have been looking at the 02 C230K (2.3l), I am now looking at an 03 C320 coupe. My question is which is the better model and why. Did the C320's come with any more options on them? Most importantly, what performance options are out there for it and what realistic gains can I expect without breaking the bank (ie supercharger).

The C230 looks like a pulley will give it 30hp and is the only real gain aside from maybe a couple of extra ponies from an intake. Will chipping give you anything after you do pullies?

So let's hear some thoughts on the C320 coupe!

Thanks!

·
Registered
C320 4matic
1,743 Posts
The c320 has a 3.2L v6 which comes with some nice torque. I also think they might come with leather but i'm not too sure about the coupes. I personally don't plan on modding my benz too much. Maybe a chip after it's paid off but i'm not too sure about the numbers associated with gains.

·
Registered
95 BMW 325is
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both models are available in cloth or leather. The leather is a must for me. I looked at the C320 today but one had cloth and the other is an automatic. It looks like I'm going with an 02 C230K coupe in magma red w/panaromic roof. Unless something else comes up before Monday.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The only downside of the C320 coupe will be money, the upside is that it's a smoother motor, more power (about a 1/2 sec 0-60 increase). The only difference between the C320 and C230 coupe is the motor. On the sedans it came with bose and climatronic but I'm not sure those were included in the C320 coupe. The C230 came with 16" wheels standard but I'm not sure if the C320 came with the same wheels or the upgraded 7 spoke 17" C7 wheels although either car could have that as the C7 option. The only real performance option for the C230 is the pulley kit. A chip will make it faster by lightening your wallet only. A good air filter can help 3-4 HP when combined with the pulley. The only other peformance mod that can really help is headers and a complete exhaust with a high flow cat and muffler but that's not cheap, probably about $2,500 or more installed for about a 10-15HP gain. IC won't help, actually hurts in most cases. Smaller tires will improve accelleration or a taller rearend (they were available to 3.67). Also, if it's an automatic (and I still don't know why people buy MB's with automatics), get the sprint booster module, it will remap your pedal position sensor so it feels faster, takes that lag off the automatics that I'm sure MB engineers put in there to punish people that buy them.

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
always beg to differ from Buell.

the 2.3L pulley kit are now hard to find. ECU tune will be around $600+ for the 2.3, but it's will worth the money since it should give you a good 15hp gain at least since this is the 2.3 and not the later m271 1.8. headers can be expensive, but again not as expensive as the V6 headers. However 2.3 headers are hard to find. if you find one expect around $7-900. hi-flow cats are not that expensive and you can get a magnaflow or borla universal which performs decently for less than $400. IC helps when you are doing the pulley, ecu, and exhaust which increases the boost and when the motor runs hotter you do need better cooling. It doesn't hurt in anyway.

MB makes automatics because they are the best automatic in the world. They also make the not so great manual transmission. If you want a manual, get a Bimmer.

On the C320 coupe, they are as rare find as they come. If you can find one, do purchase it if they are not overpriced. mods that can be done include under drive pulley, headers, intake, exhaust and ecu. LET motorsport is working on a turbo kit for the C32, but in the end they should also have a low boost kit for the C320/240. expect around $4500-5000 for that.

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
ASP pulley is not hard to find, you can go to any ASP reseller or aspracing.com directly. Also they give you a credit if you return your factory pulley. The reason a chip won't work with the pulley is the pulley maxes out what can be done with timing and fuel to gain HP, many have tried but the reality is, they give closer to 2-3HP across the range vs. the momentary dyno noise spikes to 15HP. You can trust Frank that doesn't even have a 2002 C230 or someone that has done over 30 dynos on that car in conjunction with GIAC and Evosport.

·
Registered
02 C32, 08 C350, 00 CLK320 (sis'), 01 ML430 (gone)
1,698 Posts
ASP pulley is not hard to find, you can go to any ASP reseller or aspracing.com directly. Also they give you a credit if you return your factory pulley. The reason a chip won't work with the pulley is the pulley maxes out what can be done with timing and fuel to gain HP, many have tried but the reality is, they give closer to 2-3HP across the range vs. the momentary dyno noise spikes to 15HP. You can trust Frank that doesn't even have a 2002 C230 or someone that has done over 30 dynos on that car in conjunction with GIAC and Evosport.
i said ECU is worth it related to my first line pulley is hard to find, sorry for wasn't being clear. Renntech, Kleemann, Brabus all have discontinued or sold out their pulley kits. ASP pulley is stock plus a welded ring for it to become larger.

how much was the gain on your coupe when you had the pulley?

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
You've obviously never driven in New York. I use to drive a Stage 3 WRX m/t in NYC traffic. I was happy to get rid of a m/t although my calf muscles are so toned. lol :p
Haha, lived in NYC for 14 years, never had an automatic there and I used to commute from Sheeepshead Bay to college in Harlem. My favorite was pretending I was a race car driver going through the twisties in Central Park.

As for the pulley being a welded and pressed on ring over the factory pulley, that is true, Renntech, Vaeth, Carlsson, Brabus all did that to preserve the factory harmonic balancer. Kleemann had a ring you screwed on yourself over the factory pulley but it caused a lot of problems. Kleemann also sold a solid pulley they made themselves which is way cheaper than using the factory pulley with a ring but that was even riskier because the aluminum hub was too thin and removing the hamonic balancer was risky.

·
Registered
95 BMW 325is
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like I am going to seal the deal on the 02 C230K and take it home on Saturday. I got the dealer to come down significantly. I couldn't find a C320 worth considering. They were either automatic or had the cloth interior (too funky looking for me).

I do wish I could have found one with heated seats.

What are the options for installing an ipod?

I'll have to start searching and reading some past posts.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Congrats on the coupe, it will be fun. Lots of info on iPods and performance mods and such on the forum. The only factory radio with AUX IN is the Comand Navigation. Otherwise there are some almost as expensive things you can do like the Dension Ipod integration kit. Leather in a 2002 C230 is very, very rare.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,125 Posts
Either is a good choice.
Gas mileage will be better with the 2.3, and when you need it to move, it goes.
Adding the pulley gives it about the same power as the 3.2 but much more economically.

With the 3.2 you can always get the Kleeman kit...something I wish I could have done.
The 3.2 uses 12 spark plugs, wires and coil packs that are aint items.
The 2.3 uses 4 of each and no wires. Those are like 50K maint. items..

So, I think the 3.2 maint costs are higher, it uses more gas and has less power than
than a 2.3 with a pulley. There are chips for both.
Supposedly there's a special one for a 2.3 with a pulley from ...I forget...
tempted to try it. oh, powerchip.

3.2 you can get underdrive pulleys and better intake for 15-20 hp.

I'd guess I'm well past the 200 hp barrier with pulley, header, remus muffler, and free flow cat.

I could port the supercharger, about time to rebuld it anyway.
But I'm concerned about the FA ratio and frying the valves.
What do you think on this Buell?

·
Registered
2k2 c230 kompressor coupe
34 Posts
You've obviously never driven in New York. I use to drive a Stage 3 WRX m/t in NYC traffic. I was happy to get rid of a m/t although my calf muscles are so toned. lol :p
totally agree ive driven an evo mr man was that a work out especially in nyc and evos are loud as hell great cars by the way

·
Registered
2003 C320 Coupe\71 220 gas, 4-speed\95 Talon TSi AWD\97 J30\79 GS1000S\80 SR500\'69 Datsun 2000
83 Posts
I want to quickly thank all who contributed to this thread, especially Buellwinkle~ I got an 03 C320 Coupe last week, and am learning its ways. It's the coolest car I've had since I got my Datsun 2000.
I fell in love with that Espada back window, and was rendered incapable of resistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not trying to revive an old thread but I am curious that I keep hearing that C320's with automatic trannys are rare. I don't know much about cars. I bought an 01 C320 for 8,900 not including taxes and title. It had around 83K miles. I am not too happy with my purchase as I've had to replace a couple things. First I have to replace a lower control arm but we thought it was the rotors. So I've been out on that. Second of all a sensor went out and I couldn't drive the car and had to have it towed. After all I've heard about the reliability issues with Mercedes I've actually been looking for a buyer for the car. I paid cash for it and I've been told a dealership will give me 8,900 for trade in but I'm hoping to find a buyer that will give me what I have in it and be done with it.

Now, I don't use the dealership because it's not under warranty and I didn't pay much for the car to begin with. My local mechanic loved it and said I had a real gem with this car. He really went on about my independent rear suspension. I didn't even know what it was. I thought I was buying a grandma luxury car like a Jag or a Buick because it's not something I would want to hot rod around town. The car is a sedan and it has all leather seats. It's a really light blue interior. I know someone mentioned that was rare. I have that tap shift thing where I can use a manual or an automatic. I don't know how to even drive a manual but my mechanic said he had fun with the tap shift when he drove it. I do have a Bose stereo and I'm not sure what climatronic is or that I even have it. Although I just found out today that my side mirror move when I put the car in reverse. I haven't had enough time to read the manual but I'm getting around to it. I basically get in it and drive and hope that it will get me to my destination as I'm very afraid of it after reading all of the bad reviews Mercedes has. I must say it is a pretty car and people look at me like I'm rich and I've been treated differently when I drive it. I can't explain it but I do. I'm poor but I have taste and I bought it to have a better car than my old clunker. Although I do drive my clunker on a daily basis.

So did I really find a diamond in the rough? The price sure was cheap for a Mercedes. I figured it would have problems with the price. I know my clear coat is coming off of my rear bumper but it's a silver car so it doesn't show much. Whover had it before put some dings on it and I'll have to do some major touch up work. The carfax was clean minus the normal replacements like air filter and fuel filters at services. Should I keep it or sell it?

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe
178 Posts
Are you serious !!!

I'm not trying to revive an old thread but I am curious that I keep hearing that C320's with automatic trannys are rare. I don't know much about cars. I bought an 01 C320 for 8,900 not including taxes and title. It had around 83K miles. I am not too happy with my purchase as I've had to replace a couple things. First I have to replace a lower control arm but we thought it was the rotors. So I've been out on that. Second of all a sensor went out and I couldn't drive the car and had to have it towed. After all I've heard about the reliability issues with Mercedes I've actually been looking for a buyer for the car. I paid cash for it and I've been told a dealership will give me 8,900 for trade in but I'm hoping to find a buyer that will give me what I have in it and be done with it.

Now, I don't use the dealership because it's not under warranty and I didn't pay much for the car to begin with. My local mechanic loved it and said I had a real gem with this car. He really went on about my independent rear suspension. I didn't even know what it was. I thought I was buying a grandma luxury car like a Jag or a Buick because it's not something I would want to hot rod around town. The car is a sedan and it has all leather seats. It's a really light blue interior. I know someone mentioned that was rare. I have that tap shift thing where I can use a manual or an automatic. I don't know how to even drive a manual but my mechanic said he had fun with the tap shift when he drove it. I do have a Bose stereo and I'm not sure what climatronic is or that I even have it. Although I just found out today that my side mirror move when I put the car in reverse. I haven't had enough time to read the manual but I'm getting around to it. I basically get in it and drive and hope that it will get me to my destination as I'm very afraid of it after reading all of the bad reviews Mercedes has. I must say it is a pretty car and people look at me like I'm rich and I've been treated differently when I drive it. I can't explain it but I do. I'm poor but I have taste and I bought it to have a better car than my old clunker. Although I do drive my clunker on a daily basis.

So did I really find a diamond in the rough? The price sure was cheap for a Mercedes. I figured it would have problems with the price. I know my clear coat is coming off of my rear bumper but it's a silver car so it doesn't show much. Whover had it before put some dings on it and I'll have to do some major touch up work. The carfax was clean minus the normal replacements like air filter and fuel filters at services. Should I keep it or sell it?
Are you serious whit all that or you are joking, just can't get it. Reliability isues what are you talking about, it has them only when people like you use it and your mechanic is this a joke, did he ever worked on Mercedes, cause it's not a jdm or us car you can't just take the wrench and start working on it you have to know what are you doing otherwise you are just begining your nightmare.

My advice is buy sell it and get yourself a Civic you will be happier.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oh and, it says Coupe not Sedan on that post

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you serious whit all that or you are joking, just can't get it. Reliability isues what are you talking about, it has them only when people like you use it and your mechanic is this a joke, did he ever worked on Mercedes, cause it's not a jdm or us car you can't just take the wrench and start working on it you have to know what are you doing otherwise you are just begining your nightmare.

My advice is buy sell it and get yourself a Civic you will be happier.
I've owned it for about three weeks and I've driven maybe 500 miles so I doubt I've messed up the car. The sensor went out in it on my way from the dealership haha. They fixed it for me. It's a car not some fine tuned machine. Cars are cars but some are built better than others. My lower control arm was messed up when I bought it. My mechanic has worked on Mercedes before. I'm not going to go to the dealership. I'm not interested in getting screwed. If I wanted that I'd just go see my husband. If it's such a great car it's for sale. Maybe someone will buy it. I wouldn't want a Civic but I'd take a Caddie.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've owned it for about three weeks and I've driven maybe 500 miles so I doubt I've messed up the car. The sensor went out in it on my way from the dealership haha. They fixed it for me. It's a car not some fine tuned machine. Cars are cars but some are built better than others. My lower control arm was messed up when I bought it. My mechanic has worked on Mercedes before. I'm not going to go to the dealership. I'm not interested in getting screwed. If I wanted that I'd just go see my husband. If it's such a great car it's for sale. Maybe someone will buy it. I wouldn't want a Civic but I'd take a Caddie.
well thats the dealer job to screw tings up other wise if they got lose they brake, and as you know with the time and the miles on the clock things worn out and have to be replaced dont they so it was time for it.
;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts