Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,<br>
<br>
Well I have a 2001 SLK320, and recently (13 months after purchase) the bulb failure light on the dash keeps coming on. At first it was the right rear brake light (topmost bulb). I took it out, looked at it, it was fine, put it back in, and the failure light went out. Now the top left rear bulb is acting funny, took it out, examined it, put it back in, dash light is off. Now a few days later the light is back on. I asked the dealer and he said because of the design of the bulb housing that they have to replace both entire rear light assemblies to solve this. He said it was due to a bad design making the bulb housing arc and create a break in the connection with the bulb itself. Anyone else had this problem, it's starting to annoy me.<br>
<br>
Forrest<p>a66b8n233client178.hawaii.rr.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had exactly the same problem on my 4 yr old slk. Took out the bulb / holder, cleaned and ...... .

........lubricated the housing with electrical lube / sealant and it is now fine. You may need to peel away a part of the trunk lining and it is easy to do. A 30 minute job.<p>merrixton.demon.co.uk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Owen's got the right idea. A little very fine sandpaper.....

some heat sink grease from Radio Shack, and you're good to go. It might help to bend down the tabs on the bulb socket slightly to increase the contact pressure.<p>dialup-209.244.227.33.Dial1.Washington1.Level3.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I knew about the problem when I bought my SLK, so I did some preventative maintenance...

Removed all of the bulbs and sockets and coated each of the connections with Ox-Gard. Ox-Gard is a grease for preventing electrical corrosion that you can buy in the electrical section of any hardware store.<br> <br> If you've already had the problem, you should use some 400 grit sandpaper on all of the contacts before greasing them.<br> <br> I don't agree with Bruce on heat sink grease. Certain types will work, but I work with that stuff quite often and some types are very insulative (electrically, at least) as well as very thick and could cause problems.<p>cx596022-e.chnd1.az.home.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New housing design?

I find it hard to believe there is a new housing design. This problem has been around at lease since early '99 models. I find it hard to believe that if there was a new housing design, they wouldn't have already put it in the '01 models.<p>cx596022-e.chnd1.az.home.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, you're right...

I probably never would have experienced the problem in Phoenix, but there was definitely no harm done. I've had a tube of Ox-gard that I've been using on various projects for 8 years now, so all it cost was 45 minutes of my time, and more importantly, I feel better about my car now.<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any idea why some SLKs have the problem and others do not?

I live in a very humid area and have not had any problems.<p>17.neworleans-05-10rs16rt.la.dial-access.att.net

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.