Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a buddy who has an opportunity to buy an '01 S55 AMG. I haven't driven it, but it has 76k miles, and appears to be in pretty sound shape cosmetically. Assuming all the mechanicals are up to snuff, is $24,000 a deal, a fair price, or too much? It's Techtite Gray/Anthracite. I've checked the VIN through our Russian friends and it was built as it is presented. I know it's a $100k vehicle. Are there moe issues than the usual ones with any '01 W220? Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
I have a buddy who has an opportunity to buy an '01 S55 AMG. I haven't driven it, but it has 76k miles, and appears to be in pretty sound shape cosmetically. Assuming all the mechanicals are up to snuff, is $24,000 a deal, a fair price, or too much? It's Techtite Gray/Anthracite. I've checked the VIN through our Russian friends and it was built as it is presented. I know it's a $100k vehicle. Are there moe issues than the usual ones with any '01 W220? Thanks for the help.
Skip it. 00-02 S class are to be avoided at all costs.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
I think that's a little of an overstatement. All of them have their issues, the 00-02 just had more. If the price is right, why not... :eclipsee_steering:
Clearly you would say that....you HAVE ONE. :rolleyes: 03-06 were MUCH better. 00-02 were amoung the worst S classes ever produced to date. No other S class has had so many electrical issues, failures and problems as those car did and continue to have. It's not worth $24 grand to put up with that electrical mess, sorry.

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
My understanding is that atleast the ABC setup on the AMG W220's is better and more reliable than the Airmatic on the pre facelifted cars.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Buy that car, its a deal. I do not see any major problem with the S500 MY00. I am giving you a short list of what have been replaced since after the 4 yrs warranty. Air mass sensor,$600, driver side window motor$452, steeling wheel collar spring$600. $1700 since 44.7K to 74K today. From 0 to 44.7K dealer replaced following item free.
Power steeling damper 12/19/00, clear reed valve 4/3/01, battery static insulation 2/25/03, cabin air blower motor 10/12/04 recall, command head 11/10/03, O2 sensor both sides , later find out the problem is from defective air mass sensor,screwed by stealer after warranty to pay $600 above. comfort seat fans in driver seat back9/12/02, front brake calipers recall, seat rail crack, brake booster travel sensor, new high capacity A/C system: high pressure expanding hose, auto A/C control head, evaporator 6/26/02, (read skylaw comment on 00 to 05 in other forum), factory replace free, no defects in previous system, you just tell dealer not cold enough, customer unlisted goodwill recall from factory. crankshaft damper 6/26/02, washer fluid sensor4/10/01, draw spring trunk lid 4/14/00. You can see lots has been done in warranty period but I was the first few get the high tech in MY00 in NOV99. Car has lots of bugs. From 44.7K to 74K no problem.
Some other upgrade I spend $ which will not apply to you. In 44.7K I replaced my phone sys from StarTec to V60i for $1491, that included to PSE,antenna, new voice module, all new 03 phone sys. 40K replace stock tire and wheel with 4 AMG 245/45R18 from tire rack $2400. Car can handle much better in cross wind over 90mph. When i was in warranty, I use service A&B. After warranty, I only use 7500mile oil change service. Let dealer do all brake fluid, coolant, annual state inspection. They will let you know if anything broke. I replace one battery, interstate from local distributor for $95. Regular wiper and other items can get from internet and read forum. I will replace Transmission fluid if you buy this car. I will plan to replace mine in 80K. Enjoy the ride. Check the front rotor, you may need new pads and rotors.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, but was ignored by some folks, I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the '00-'02 W220s. With 71k on the clock, I would expect that most or all of those shortcomings have been corrected. Thanks, daisound, you gave me information rather than opinion. I'll pass that service record along to my pal, and note that your car isn't an AMG. I think what he's buying is a corrected car, so I was mostly interested in any chronic problems that plague the early W220.

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
The cheap Chrysler build quality can never be corrected and only begs to shows itself more as the miles build. The person who posted his service history above just unscores my point. Thankfully they had a good dealer who tried their best to cover up the cheapness of the product. A later model non- AMG can be had for the same price and will be a MUCH better car for your friend. Friends don't let friends buy first generation W220's. I'm sure he could live with an 04/05/06 S500.

·
Registered
1999 S430 w220
202 Posts
Please note, that production of W220 has been launched in august 1998 - so the '01 (if that is the production year, not model year) car does not totally correspond to the notion "early W220".
For example, all 1998-1999 cars had problems with automatic transmission, in late 1999 the construction has been slightly changed and the problem was gone. There are more examples of this sort, I just can't recall everything right now.

So, even if there were any problems with that particular '01 AMG, they have been fixed during warranty period - that's for sure. Everything else that might occur now - can happen with any other W220, even with the "facelifted" one. Construction of facelifted W220 is absolutely similar to the earlier cars. What is most important - the used W220 should be in good technical condition. What I mean - if the car was neglected and has not seen proper service from its previous owner - then the buyer should expect considerable investmens in the car soon after purchase. This is accurate for both restyled and pre-restyled W220. So the comprehensive diagnostics of the car before buying wouldn't be useless.

Unfortunately, W220 is expensive to maintain - but that's the other story...

·
Registered
2007 W221 Brabus D6 III S320 CDi LWB, 2003 W220 500LWB & 1999 W202 240 Elegance Auto
168 Posts
What is the Russian Site for checking the VIN through.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
2001 S55 AMG
14 Posts
I purchased my 01 S55 about a year ago. Purchased with 17K on the odo, and have rung up 12K since. Despite the low miles, you would think parts would wear out over the years, however I had the dealer complete a search and discovered only minor items have been repaired prior to my ownership. Since my ownership, I did have the MAF replaced under my aftermarket warranty, which did run $3,500.00 for 4/75K coverage. Other then that, nada.

With that being said, I'm well aware that I'm without the goodies (Kompressor, cosmetic, etc.) that are seen on the 03+, but I'm living just fine with my W220. Two suggesions, If you plan on purchasing a 01-02 S55, do yourself a favor and make the proper upgrades. And I'm referring to 03+ projector Xenon(oem) and 03+ tailights. Without these upgrades, the W220 looks dated.

And lastly, I live in the Chicagoland area, and I received many compliments on my S55. Nothing wrong with the S430-S500, however If you prefer an extremley rare model ( my primary objective), then go with the S55. Since ownership, I've seen 3 other S55's around the entire Chicagoland area/Suburbs. Naturally, in warmer climates, you'll see more, but still, damn rare.

·
Registered
2001 S55 AMG
14 Posts
Also, I neglected to mention the warranty. Without a comprehensive warranty, I couldn't imagine purchasing this type of car. And yes I did my homework on which insurance co's cover AMG and ABC. With that being said, If your friend is mechanically inclined with Mercedes, then buying without an extended warranty will hurt, but not as much. With 70k on the odometer, you'll be hardpressed to find a decent warranty Co to cover the AMG. Even so, Im sure It will cost at least $5K.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Kazam. That was very helpful. My buddy is 73 years old! He has bought the car (takes delivery tomorrow), and he did buy an extended warranty. He was a pilot in the military (Vietnam) and had a SAAB open-wheel racer somewhere along the way. I think he will get a grin out of the S55. I'm jealous that he's gonna have a scooter. I love my '04 S430, and it has plenty of 'git' but those ominous looking tail pipes and the AMG badge mark his as different. BTW, I saw a spanking new S AMG in my little town the other day. I can't remember if it was the V-8 or the twelve cylinder, but it looked NASTY. It was black. Thanks for the info from somebody who has the car he was considering.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Actually I prefer the Taillights on the 00-02 alot more than the later Models, IMO they look sportier and more Benz-ish....I know that probably doesn't make sense at all ("Benz-ish"), that's just how my brain tells it. Also I think it fits the car more. The Headlights are definitely nicer on the later models though, I'd love to get those for mine. The slightly raised hood and grille and slightly different front bumper are alright, I kinda iike both the same I think. One is sleeker the other beefier. Too minor of a change for most anyone to tell though (I didn't even notice until recently).

My .02

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with my buddy to pick the car up. He insisted I drive it home (35 miles--mixed surface roads and interstate) while he chased in a Honda Pilot. Wow. That thing pulls like a freight train, takes a great set on sweepers, and stops right now. It's got some usual wear on the inside, but is quiet and solid as a steel billet--except for the slight rumble from the exhaust on acceleration that "normal" W220s don't have. It's a head-turner too. The exhaust pipes are a giveaway that something is different about this one, and I saw lots of folks craning their necks to get a look at the AMG on the trunk lid. I think my pal will be happy with his new toy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bot an 01 S55 AMG in designo Silver in Jan. 08 for $26.9k, originally $118k with the options. Prior owner had all recalls and other repairs done. MB did the ABC hi pressure hose recall @ N/C. I've had 2 true repairs: heated hose line on the washer fluid reservoir (no, it was no the one affected by the recall) and an O-ring on the pressure sensor for the ABC. This car is fast, responsive, has been reliable and turns heads; it just turned 98k miles, and I put on a new set of 4 Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires. In a mixed marque rally last month the only car that passed me was a Countach. Where else can you get so much car for about the price of a new Camry?

·
Registered
2003 S430 4-matic, charcoal on black
11 Posts
Hmm i would not buy one from 01 till 03..buy the 04 and up..better display screen and has the same amazing power..i would go to say...01 s55 amg with 77k for $24k...nooo for 24k u can get 03 s55 amg with the same miles..or put up extra 3-5k and get 04 s55 amg with 55 to 65k miles...at least shop around

1 - 17 of 17 Posts