Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
01 ML55
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 01 ML55 that I bought non-running for $2000 and finally have it in my garage after a month at the shop. I declined most of the work so I could DIY this bad boy and went through some things last night to work on my list. Note, car is running now but my battery is toast or was killed by a drain.

Both rear springs are broke and I can't fully tell if the rear shocks are leaking or not (lots of rust). I was lucky enough to still have the OEM tags on the springs which listed the p/n: A 163 320 12 13. Apparently there are quite a few options for rear struts as I do my search.

I'm probably going cheap (used) on these b/c new is killer and even the ones listed on FCP Euro are $300 a piece and those don't even include the part number from mine.

Do I need to stick solely to that part no or can I pick up a used set from a 350/430/500?

Thanks all,

Ed
01ML55
08 G35X

·
Registered
1999 ML430
1,475 Posts
Someone will have to confirm this for me , BUT if you have the spare tire inside the cabin on the left side, or if you have the spare on a swing-out hinge behind the rear glass, YOU WILL need a different spring/shock set-up.

If you have the spare tire under the rear suspension on a drop down bracket under the rear hatch, you might be able to use a shock/spring combination from one of the models you mentioned. Would help if you have the size if your spare tire. Is it full size, or one of the mickey-mouse temporary tires?

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,111 Posts
You can't interchange ML55 struts. You can use a 55 strut on a 500 or 320 or 350, but you can't use their struts on a 55.
When I say you can't, i don't mean it wont fit. It will, but you will loose the 55 feel.
55 springs are shorter then others.

springerfever, these days the struts come already with the rear wheel option......they are meant to withstand the extra weight.........

·
Registered
01 ML55
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it does have the spare inside the cabin on the left hand side and it's that teeny one.

Safest bet seems to be the 55 ones which I am hoping to pick up used on the cheap for now. Eventually I would like some new equipment but trying to saving some $$ in these early/start up days.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
ML55 2003, ML55 2002, ML63 2007
4,111 Posts
during the early/start up days is the time to spend money and get proper genuine new parts, so later you just enjoy the car. Why did you get a 55 if you are thinking used/cheap parts? And what are you going to do about filling the tank?

·
Registered
00' ML55 AMG, 98' E430, 95' S320
77 Posts
I bought a set of cheap-ish (Swedish made?) rear shocks (with new springs as well), but even though they were listed as being for my 55, they are actually the taller ones for the lower end models. With those installed, the car looked pretty goofy I must say. My solution was to remove the OEM springs, and place them on the new shocks. This worked out great. I haven't noticed much difference/improvement in ride quality or handling though. I don't think my rear shocks were very worn at all. If someone wants/needs some "decent" condition OE rear shock inserts, Let me know. I believe they are the KYB Variants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts