Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is one of my first posts and I'll get right to it. These forums have saved me bukoos of money first with the Fuel sending unit snafu (now i don't top off when i fill up and pull the number 5 fuse if the problem ever occurs - saved $800 by not replacing the FSU) and a few other simpler problems.

In the past few days my 01 ML320 has decided to sporatically not start 3 times, and stalled at idle after 2 minutes of driving, twice. Everytime it starts up fine like there was no problem after about 20 min. (Currently she sits at the post office after doing this again, so i gotta jet here in a few to go get her)

When this problem first happened i had just ran into a gas station after drivin less than a mile. When i tried to start it the starter ran for about 5 sec as its supposed to do but the engine made no attempt to fire. no sputter, no bang, i figured no juice. Plus where my mileage usually is the readout said " start error". (very usefull information, i usually drive around with the engine not running)
If the dang thing can tell me the car didn't start it should have told me why too.
Tried to start it for about five minutes added some more gas and even opened the hood to look cool. Finally figured out that as soon as I call a friend for a ride 20 minutes later it starts right up without any problem whatsoever. I guess the ML320 just enjoys making me look like a jerk.

Figured all was good untill it wouldn't start a day later. same senario, 1 mile from where i started, waited 20 min. called a ride. car started and i heard it laugh at me.

Then the next day i drove it less than a mile and stopped in the road at a gate entrance, with my foot on the brake and the ML at idle, the 320 decided it wanted to rest. called ride. car would not start. picked up my kids. called tow. car started. i kicked the car.

I always get the start error and then a brief check engine light that just goes away. I havn't gone to get the codes as every time this happened i figured it was a fluke, but now i will go and get the free check engine at my local parts store and then be told to go to a dealership when they can't pull em. I think its the Crankshaft Position Sensor but i originally thaught it could be a fuel pump. You cats on this forum havn't let me down yet so have at it. (I hope my problem was fun to read as I can't believe anyone does this for giggles) Thanks everybody, i'll be on later, it's been an hour now so i'm going to get my benz back. Please help. I'll post later. -Brad

·
Registered
2014 RX 350 F Sport, 2007 Scion tC, 2000 ML 430 Money Pit Finally Gone! Oh Happy Day!
1,284 Posts
StryknAccord said:
Ok, this is one of my first posts and I'll get right to it. These forums have saved me bukoos of money first with the Fuel sending unit snafu (now i don't top off when i fill up and pull the number 5 fuse if the problem ever occurs - saved $800 by not replacing the FSU) and a few other simpler problems.

In the past few days my 01 ML320 has decided to sporatically not start 3 times, and stalled at idle after 2 minutes of driving, twice. Everytime it starts up fine like there was no problem after about 20 min. (Currently she sits at the post office after doing this again, so i gotta jet here in a few to go get her)

When this problem first happened i had just ran into a gas station after drivin less than a mile. When i tried to start it the starter ran for about 5 sec as its supposed to do but the engine made no attempt to fire. no sputter, no bang, i figured no juice. Plus where my mileage usually is the readout said " start error". (very usefull information, i usually drive around with the engine not running)
If the dang thing can tell me the car didn't start it should have told me why too.
Tried to start it for about five minutes added some more gas and even opened the hood to look cool. Finally figured out that as soon as I call a friend for a ride 20 minutes later it starts right up without any problem whatsoever. I guess the ML320 just enjoys making me look like a jerk.

Figured all was good untill it wouldn't start a day later. same senario, 1 mile from where i started, waited 20 min. called a ride. car started and i heard it laugh at me.

Then the next day i drove it less than a mile and stopped in the road at a gate entrance, with my foot on the brake and the ML at idle, the 320 decided it wanted to rest. called ride. car would not start. picked up my kids. called tow. car started. i kicked the car.

I always get the start error and then a brief check engine light that just goes away. I havn't gone to get the codes as every time this happened i figured it was a fluke, but now i will go and get the free check engine at my local parts store and then be told to go to a dealership when they can't pull em. I think its the Crankshaft Position Sensor but i originally thaught it could be a fuel pump. You cats on this forum havn't let me down yet so have at it. (I hope my problem was fun to read as I can't believe anyone does this for giggles) Thanks everybody, i'll be on later, it's been an hour now so i'm going to get my benz back. Please help. I'll post later. -Brad
My money is on the CPS................................................ my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2003, 320ml Desert silver
30 Posts
azinn said:
My money is on the CPS................................................ my 2 cents.
Hi,
You probably have it fixed by now.
My 320 problem began when trying to start it, it would spin and not fire. This happened randomly 4 or 5 times but would start 20 or so minutes later.
My wife drove it last and the engine died while driving 40mph. She pulled over to the side of the road and sat there10 minutes and it fired back up.
That was the last straw.
The bill from the MB dealer was $363. The bill says "replaced crank shaft position sensor".
The readout also said #2 cylinder was misfiring. This was not involved in the non starting problem.
I hope this helps, good luck.
Thank God for this beautiful day here in Perdido Key, Fl.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured i'd go back through my posts to update on closed issues. Yup it was the CPS. Thing cost me $80 from the AZ Autohouse. size of a chapstick.
Installed in 10 min with propor tools.

*Note* If anyone does this fix, its quite simple, but find the DIY on this site first.
Make sure you have the right tools and its a breeze, get creative and you'll be up to your shoulder in engine and about an hour of time wasted trying to turn one screw... Good luck all and thanks to everybody for the help. Problem solved!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,999 Posts
Anytime "Start Error" appears on the odometer, you will need to have the DAS module (Driver Authorization System) replaced. The dealer has to replace it and you will have to bring all your keys with you since they have to be programed to the new module. Sorry for the bad news, but believe me it's a dealer only repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts