Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 E320 (Sold, known as Hi Ho)..1990 300E (sold, known as "the Chariot"..Current
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been many posts on this topic, and I have searched and got some good info.

My 01 did not have navi from factory, and since my father-in-law now has it, I would like to give him the gift of navi (on a budget of course).

I believe I have the MCS upgrades understood, and install seems to be a snap (finding a good deal on a navi drive seems to be difficult...why some sellers think we will pay inflated MBZ prices given what is available in the aftermarketk I'll never know... but that is another story... My father-in-law is not gonna deal with a portable GPS, nor do I want to scare him with an AVIC or something cool like that)

So, question is the antenna, as I don't want to use an aftermarket GPS antenna.

Does anyone know of step by step instructions to get the factory GPS antenna hooked up?

Seems a splitter is required (which is logical) but I can't tell if my existing antenna has GPS capability, or is an antenna upgrade required?

Also, I saw one reference to the 2001 "one year only" requirement to make an antenna connection under the front seat, and have not been able to find any further details on that. I don't mind removing a seat, but would sure like to know which one and what I am looking for.

I also understand the "navi upgrade kit" part number Q682 9821 is still available from MBZ. Retail is $900, are there any dealers who are trying to clear these out and would offer them for 400-500? I assume this is a CD based drive, but I don't know what all parts this kit uncludes...

many thanks, great Forum!!

Tomer
Northern California

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I don't know about the '01... but my experience with the '02 was very easy... the antenna cable is behind the MCS and was long enough to connect before having the unit too close to the slot.

·
Registered
95 E320 (Sold, known as Hi Ho)..1990 300E (sold, known as "the Chariot"..Current
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Story of my Life - one version off :)

Yes I have read that some folks experience adding navi was just pull the MCS, install the navi drive to the MCS, and plug in antenna (which is taped to some wires behind the MCS) and you are done.

I have read on the 01 ML320 something about the antenna signal being routed through some other electronics before the MCS, and needing to make some connection under a front seat.

Does anyone know of a documented procedure for this upgrade?

thx
Tomer
01 ML320

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FOUND the Factory Navi Install Procedure

if anyone is interested PM me.

Now, I need to find the procedure to remove the pass front seat!

Tomer

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
There is no reason to remove the front pass seat to do the navi install. A easy proposition for you is to pull out the MCS and search for the presence of the navi cable. There is nothing you need to route from the rear to the front. What kind of instruction you got? I retrofit one for my 98 and no need to pull any seat out.

However, removing the front seat is easy, only 4 bolts to the floor and it comes out. The seat is pretty heavy though, beware.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2001 ML antenna connection required for Navi

Perhaps I should just plug in the navi drive and see if it works, but check out this procedure. It shows you have to split the antenna signal at the tele-aid box (did the 98 and 99's not have Tele-aid?) and make a connection, effectively connecting the pre-wired co-ax that sits behind the MCS...

You can see the 2001 ML Navi Install bulletin here Miscellaneous Info it seems like an MBZ bulletin!

Go figure we have the one year that requires this extra procedure!!

Tomer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts